Answering The Door

Answering The Door

This is a discussion on Answering The Door within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being retired has its advantages of having breakfast with the wife around 1030 AM. As we sat lounging in our bathrobes, we had a knock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Answering The Door

Angry Answering The Door

Being retired has its advantages of having breakfast with the wife around 1030 AM. As we sat lounging in our bathrobes, we had a knock at the door (big oval glass in center) and looked out at an older man and a young women who I assumed were the local Jehovah Witnesses church making the rounds. First the dog went nuts barking at the couple and as I stood up to approach the door. I cracked open the door and they immediately excused themselves for interrupting our breakfast.

I was caught off guard by their looks (well dressed) and was a mere couple of inches from grabbing my XDM compact when I stood up to go to the door.

Afterward, I cursed myself for being so lax and NOT grabbing my gun as I answered the door.

BTW, they were holding a couple of three ring binders and literature but they never identified themselves as JW's... I feel so dumb not being more aware and assuming they were JW's when the could have been BG's. Normally JW's hand you a flyer about Jesus, etc and this is the first time they never even tried to hand me anything...

So bottom line, I need to be more aware and not be sooo lazy and ASSUMING they were JW's and not BG's or others scoping out the house...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Yell through the door and ask who it is. If it's no one you know or care to talk to send them on their way without opening up your home!
    oneshot likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Our 4 yr. old 98 lb. GS....is our Door Man............if you still want in after discussing it with him........guess I'm next.

Times have changed...I never answer the door unless I'm expecting you.......never.

We don't bother even answering the door anymore if we aren't expecting company. It's either a package (they will leave it on the step) or it's a door to door salesmen. Our neighborhood is on the better side of town so we are flooded with the door to door types, and frankly it gets old quickly. My only regret is seeing that I occasionally missed a chance at Girl Scout cookies... I love those Samoas!
    LongJohn6284 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    Being retired has its advantages of having breakfast with the wife around 1030 AM. As we sat lounging in our bathrobes, we had a knock at the door (big oval glass in center) and looked out at an older man and a young women who I assumed were the local Jehovah Witnesses church making the rounds. First the dog went nuts barking at the couple and as I stood up to approach the door. I cracked open the door and they immediately excused themselves for interrupting our breakfast.
    I have never heard of BG's dressing up for a home invasion. They just aren't that smart. I mean think about it. If they are smart enough to dress nice and speak English with proper grammar and know how to really play the role, then they are smart enough to have real jobs. Sure, there are white collar criminals who are smart and wear business suits. But they steal lots of money, not invade homes. I'm of the believe that home invaders are all pretty much at the low-end of the IQ spectrum.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I have never heard of BG's dressing up for a home invasion. They just aren't that smart. I mean think about it. If they are smart enough to dress nice and speak English with proper grammar and know how to really play the role, then they are smart enough to have real jobs. Sure, there are white collar criminals who are smart and wear business suits. But they steal lots of money, not invade homes. I'm of the believe that home invaders are all pretty much at the low-end of the IQ spectrum.
    You are so mistaken on this part. Not only do they do it, they are successful when they do.

To the OP, not every situation deserves a gun. I think for the sake of discussion you have learned what you did wrong, and are correcting it.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I have never heard of BG's dressing up for a home invasion. They just aren't that smart.
    You're underestimating a lot on their part.

Ferguson police investigating reports of intruders posing as police

Bad: more fake cops, now targeting students
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by John123 View Post
    My only regret is seeing that I occasionally missed a chance at Girl Scout cookies... I love those Samoas!
    Keep your eyes open around town. The local grocery stores, Walmart, etc allow the GS to setup a table at their entrances. It's better as you have instant gratification (and a box to eat on the way home )
    John123 likes this.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You are so mistaken on this part. Not only do they do it, they are successful when they do.

To the OP, not every situation deserves a gun. I think for the sake of discussion you have learned what you did wrong, and are correcting it.
    Not every situation deserves a gun but my gun is there anyway.

I OC around the house and I answer the door that way. My door has a large ornamental glass oval so I have a good idea what I'm up against before I open the door. Only had one salesman ever mention the gun but I'm sure others priced it.

My local JWs have been to my door so many times that they know my name and that I do security work. Almost becoming friends ( though not converts ).

Ted Bundy dressed very well and was very articulate.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I would'nt get too bent, probably legit. I'm sooo past worrying about hurting a strangers feelings. I'm pretty direct when handling strangers on my property. I'll be polite, until my BS filter is triggered. If inside, pistol will be going with me but not visible when answering the door. My sons were home alone one time when we first moved here. A man without any uniform or company vehicle came to our BACK patio door.We're in the woods btw, on a private dirt road. My son refused to open the door after the man asked if he would so he could talk. Guy left disgruntled. I called gas and electric company, NO ONE was sent to our place that day. Thankfully my son was paying attention when we discussed home security.They paid even better attention on the range thereafter...
    Last edited by 1911srule; April 21st, 2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: grammer
    RIP Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Interesting Morning yesterday
    Seriously? A knock on the door from two suspected JW's makes your morning interesting?

Friend, I have a suggestion for you. Try going outside more often. See the sights and get some fresh air.
    DC and pacman like this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Seriously? A knock on the door from two suspected JW's makes your morning interesting?

Friend, I have a suggestion for you. Try going outside more often. See the sights and get some fresh air.
    Seriously, That was not the point of the story... I'll see the sites too.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

I answer the door whenever anyone knocks, which is rarely. But I have an ornate "barred" storm door with a deadbolt, beside the regular lock, which I talk through until I decide whether I want to let you in or not. And I am always armed. Although we live on a busy street in town, we don't get many people knocking on our door.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I'm considering getting a doorbell camera system. It works with your existing doorbell wiring and will take a picture of anyone that comes to your door (motion sensitive). It also comes with a two-way voice system that will let you look at and talk to whoever it is without even coming to the door. I don't like the idea of opening my door for anyone. Even if the person at the door isn't there to do you harm, they could be there to case your house out for a later burglary. It's no one's business what the general layout, or the contents of my home are except the people who live here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links