Turtle Soup - Page 2

Turtle Soup

This is a discussion on Turtle Soup within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We had some dinner-plate sized and larger snappers in our 40-acre pond on Cape Cod. I never tried to catch 'em, but it was sure ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Turtle Soup

We had some dinner-plate sized and larger snappers in our 40-acre pond on Cape Cod. I never tried to catch 'em, but it was sure annoying when they'd take my bait and just bite through my line when I was fishing.

I recall some goofball reality show where the redneck guy would swim through a slime-covered pond and catch snappers by the tail, then throw 'em on shore with a good rebel holler. Not my cup of tea.

If you're going to shoot 'em, unless you hit the head you can forget about birdshot or even a .22 reliably penetrating the shell. If a .410 is all you've got, I'd use slugs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Lead Moderator
    The .22 to the head sounds like the cheapest option (But is it legal where he lives?). Also have to ask the obvious... Did your friend call Animal Control??
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

mkh
    Once I was swimming across turtle creek,
    Man those snappers all around my feet,
    Sure was hard swimming across that creek,
    Both hands holding on to my....

If you're old enough I'll let you fill in the rest of the words. If you are too young then google it.
    Last edited by mkh; April 22nd, 2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

Senior Moderator
    Be sure that its the American snapper and not an Alligator snapper. The Alligator snappers are protected.

A guy caught one that weighed 160 pounds and was showing it at the town squre. The game warden wrote him a 600 dollar ticket and made him take it back to where got it and release it. Lucky for him it was still alive or it could have been a 2000$ fine as they are a protected species. They may be Federally protected for that matter, but I'm not for certain.

The American snappers are smooth on the back of the shell. The Alligator snappers have a ridged shell that reminds me of a dinosaur. We have both around here, so just make sure which one you've got.
    Hopyard and DMan like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I checked out this thread because I thought you wanted to eat them.
    Do not shoot them, use a set line with a big hook, bait it with a piece of fatback----preferably a piece with the rind attached and the hook through the rind, do not bury the hook point in the bait as the bait will be swallowed whole.

Set your line similar to the way they do on swamp people except have the bait in the water. Set the lines before dark and check the next day.

If you want to eat them e-mail me and I'll tell the rest of the story, as I might miss more comments in this thread..

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Sure was hard swimming across that creek,

If you're old enough I'll let you fill in the rest of the words. If you are too young then google it.

My dinga .......

I hunt turtles daily on my pond, it is a never ending battle. They have very good eyesight and it is hard to sneak up on them. A .22 will work fine, shotgun any gauge if you can get close enough. I have had good luck with a 9 mm, recently got about a 20 pounder.

If you catch them sunning on the bank or on a tree limb they present the easiest target.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Be sure that its the American snapper and not an Alligator snapper. The Alligator snappers are protected.

A guy caught one that weighed 160 pounds and was showing it at the town squre. The game warden wrote him a 600 dollar ticket and made him take it back to where got it and release it. Lucky for him it was still alive or it could have been a 2000$ fine as they are a protected species. They may be Federally protected for that matter, but I'm not for certain.

The American snappers are smooth on the back of the shell. The Alligator snappers have a ridged shell that reminds me of a dinosaur. We have both around here, so just make sure which one you've got.
    When I was a kid we would catch the Alligator snappers and fry them up. Don't know if they were protected back then or not. Good eating.
    Anyhoo's if you do catch a nice turtle that is not protected give him a stick to clamp down. When he latches on to it put your foot on his shell and pull on the stick to get his head out then whack it off with a machete or hatchet. Don't cut to far back behind the head else you will waste a lot of the meat on the neck. Then hang it up buy its tail for an hour or so to belled out real good.
    After this time bleeding it will still be moving but if you toss a pan of scalding water on the turtle it will stiffen up and quit moving making it easier to clean.

Or I could just be full of it.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Sure was hard swimming across that thing,

It has to rhyme...
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    My dinga .......
    ...lingaling

OH!! ......EVERYBODY SING!!
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    It has to rhyme...

...lingaling

OH!! ......EVERYBODY SING!!
    Ah, a couple of old timers.

Remember "dead skunk in the middle of the road"?

I promise to quit hijacking this thread.

I promise to quit hijacking this thread.
    No, please, continue, it's OK!
    Hubby's wondering why I'm walking around the house singing weird songs.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    Carpe Diem
    "Winter Is Coming"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links