Stopped by an off duty cop

This is a discussion on Stopped by an off duty cop within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Urban legend at it's best. Right up there with the deadly toilet spider story on commercial passenger jets. Cops, (REAL cops) do not do that. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Stopped by an off duty cop

Urban legend at it's best.

Right up there with the deadly toilet spider story on commercial passenger jets.

Cops, (REAL cops) do not do that. Even if an off-duty officer does assist in a traffic stop, he always has identification and presents it before doing anything like that. I bet many of them would tell you that would be a sure fire way to get killed or injured if they ever did a traffic stop in that manner.

I too call BS to the 10th power.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Sound like somebody's friend has an over-active imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Urban legend at it's best.

Right up there with the deadly toilet spider story on commercial passenger jets.

Cops, (REAL cops) do not do that. Even if an off-duty officer does assist in a traffic stop, he always has identification and presents it before doing anything like that. I bet many of them would tell you that would be a sure fire way to get killed or injured if they ever did a traffic stop in that manner.

I too call BS to the 10th power.
    Like the cop in the unmarked car in MD that blocked the motorcycle driver in, exited the vehicle with GUN DRAWN, ran up to the driver, told him to get off the bike, THEN identified himself as a police officer?

Cop Pulls Out Gun On Motorcyclist - YouTube
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Lets see:

New member - Check

Outrageous Story that "happened to a friend" -Check

No followup after fist post -Check

Troll? We have a winner!!!
    Cook74 and Secret Spuk like this.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Like the cop in the unmarked car in MD that blocked the motorcycle driver in, exited the vehicle with GUN DRAWN, ran up to the driver, told him to get off the bike, THEN identified himself as a police officer?

Cop Pulls Out Gun On Motorcyclist - YouTube
    That isn't even close. The dude was going over 120 mph on the bike. It was a felony stop. I am pretty darn sure the kid on the bike knew that was a cop since he was driving like a maniac and had just passed a marked vehicle.There was a marked cruiser with LEO in uniform behind the bike at the stop. I am assuming the unmarked car did have lights and sirens. He did announce he was a LEO,too late IMO, but not soon after he got out of his vehicle. I am not saying that was an ideal stop. But it is not even close to this "story"

1. I wouldn't stop for any off duty cop, how do you know who he is?
    2. someone reaching into my car probably will get shot

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    That isn't even close. The dude was going over 120 mph on the bike. It was a felony stop. I am pretty darn sure the kid on the bike knew that was a cop since he was driving like a maniac and had just passed a marked vehicle.There was a marked cruiser with LEO in uniform behind the bike at the stop. I am assuming the unmarked car did have lights and sirens. He did announce he was a LEO,too late IMO, but not soon after he got out of his vehicle. I am not saying that was an ideal stop. But it is not even close to this "story"
    I wasn't trying to say it was close to the story, I was just using it as an example of a police officer failing to identify himself in a timely manner.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    Lets see:

New member - Check

Outrageous Story that "happened to a friend" -Check

No followup after fist post -Check

Troll? We have a winner!!!
    While I think the story is missing A LOT of important details, I'm not sure it is trolling.

As far as following up on his first post. It is not even 8 hours later; he posted it in the middle of the night, so he could be sleeping.

Who sits around and let a stranger put their hands in his vehicle and shut off their engine dont do anything but wait till leaves and turns and drives away without reporting it or question what is going on. My spidey senses are going off on this one

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Really had me going there until I read it didn't happen to me, but to a friend. Yawnnnnnn. Second hand accounts always seem to sensationalize and leave out a few minor details
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

How many cars have the ignition that close to the open window to allow someone to turn the key off? He'd have to be half way through the window to do it.

And if the LEO is calling the perp on dragging the LEO 50 feet, well... The LEO has two witnesses and I go with the LEO and not the perp...

Plus, two squad cars at the perps home tells me someone (LEO) called the plate in and lo and behold, the squad cars are there at the perps home waiting for him... Come on... this is pure...

BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS, etc...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

That's HIS story, and I'm NOT stickin' to it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Any time someone speaks for someone else I feel like the courts do that if it's not from the victim's mouth it can't be held accountable

Quote Originally Posted by First Sgt View Post
    I'm afraid I'd have to call Bravo Sierra on your friend's story...JMO
    This right here...And that ladies and gentlemen is a wrap.......
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

This might be me, but

If someone reaches into my pickup truck im grabbing his wrist and twisting it so his head comes to the front part of my door and slamming it open on him.Then I am calling the police to say someone just parked infront of my pickup and tried to assault me and I took him out with my door. Get out and hold him down if his family tries to step out I will tell them to stay in the car police have been called.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links