Flash Mobs - Who Would Draw?

This is a discussion on Flash Mobs - Who Would Draw? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; not so funny if a mob were to toss a person about who is recovering from surgery. pure fright, adrenaline and torn stitches. ua, real ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Flash Mobs - Who Would Draw?

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    not so funny if a mob were to toss a person about who is recovering from surgery.
    pure fright, adrenaline and torn stitches. ua, real funny

laughing, dancing or screaming--if a large group of people were coming my way...with eye's on me...

id be feeling rather venerable.

perhaps when the frontrunner's got close enough to see what is accidental exposed on my hip
    they would adjust their direction of movement.
    otherwise i may be required to release stored energy in their direction.
    multiple times as needed till im safe or run out of energy
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    not so funny if a mob were to toss a person about who is recovering from surgery.
    pure fright, adrenaline and torn stitches. ua, real funny

laughing, dancing or screaming--if a large group of people were coming my way...with eye's on me...

id be feeling rather venerable.

perhaps when the frontrunner's got close enough to see what is accidental exposed on my hip
    they would adjust their direction of movement.
    otherwise i may be required to release stored energy in their direction.
    multiple times as needed till im safe or run out of energy
    Sometimes you crack me up CC. I don't think you meant "venerable" like Mr. Miyagi in "Karate Kid". I think you meant "vulnerable" like Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz". lol.
    Badey likes this.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    Sometimes you crack me up CC. I don't think you meant "venerable" like Mr. Miyagi in "Karate Kid". I think you meant "vulnerable" like Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz". lol.
    Flash mobs make me feel like an old fart. I guess they could make me feel venerable. Dang young people...

Senior Moderator
    In the first scenario a bunch of people just came running around the corner. For all I know they are running away from a bomb or I just managed to get in the way of a marathon... I agree with the reaction of the first guy... just run with em while trying to get over to the side.

Second scenario where they come around the corner and point. I'd more than likely assume they were pointing at someone behind me... maybe someone saw Brad Pit... I don't know... again, try to get over to the side and run with them.

I love the one where they all just duck. Again, totally agree with the response. If the rest of the crowd ducks for cover, you best do the same.. so what if people get a little laugh at your expense... sure beats getting hit by shrapnel or something.

As far as being surrounded by a bunch of people... yeah, that would make me a bit nervous and, yeah, it certainly could be lethal if they decided to harm you but what is atmosphere? Are the people smiling? Are they laughing? Do I know them or at least some of them? Are they shouting at me? Are they threatening me? On my birthday this year two of my friends totally surprised me by running up to me, picking me up and twirling me around while singing happy birthday. We all laughed, it was a good time. Now, if two men came running at me licking their lips or telling me all of the gory details about what they were planning to do to my body or just looking at me in a predatory manner that would certainly be a game-changer, no?

You can't just pull a gun and start shooting people because they run around the corner. You can't (or at least shouldn't) just shoot someone for surrounding you, either. Who knows, maybe you were the 1,000th customer of that store and are being congratulated on winning their $1,000 sweep stakes!

If it was EXACTLY as presented in the video I'd probably go with it. Good times all around.

Body language and environment (holidays, local customs, celebratory practices, etc) are going to have a LOT to do with how you perceive and therefore handle mobs like this.

I also wonder if there were any signs the individuals missed.... video cameras? People paying undo attention to them? Perhaps snippets of conversation? A lot of times these things are not as random as they seem to be. People have to agree to be in a show.. they might not know exactly what is going to happen or when but they do have to agree to participating. Short of that I have yet to hear of ANYONE just randomly being ran down by 100 COMPLETE strangers, surrounded on a random street on a radon day and jovially thrown into the air.

I agree about getting out of the way of the runners. As for being surrounded by people... I don't like large groups of people to begin with. Little bit of anxiety. Same as public speaking for me. Not that I'm afraid something bad would happen, it just makes me irrationally nervous. So if a bunch of people just happened along and started surrounding me like that, I'd probably flip out on them honestly. There would be a lot of yelling involved at the least.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    I bet you that if someone did draw their weapon, the flash mob would split faster and wider than the Red Sea!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post
    I bet you that if someone did draw their weapon, the flash mob would split faster and wider than the Red Sea!
    you got that right, these people are followers, alone they are weak the numbers give them strength, if assaulted in a mob situation and you draw and fire that usually would be enough to break up most of the flash mobs, more determined bands of thugs could pose problems.

My comment about emptying my weapon was not aimed at the Japanese. It was aimed at the crowd who attacked the man in front of the connivance store. Rather than allow them to attack me and find a loaded weapon...I would empty it first and try to take out the lead attackers. Like I said...I may not win...but I won't go without a fight and I certainly won't be shot with my own gun. For the Japanese....CALL MY LAWYER! Their intent may be innocent, but if someone has a chronic health problem, that kind of "playful" treatment could cause great pain and injury. I don't think those victims knew what was coming their way and no one can expect such a "assault" without fear. Not the running crowd, not the being tossed around, not the firefight in the office and certainly not the attack in the parking lot that looked WW III.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by satori59 View Post
    I thought flash mobs were when folks got to gther in an organized way to dance or sing in a public place. Those Japanese videos are obviously staged...

I'm not understanding this as a self-defense issue.
    Several Flash Mobs in Milwaukee, they beat and rob. Mayor and Police Chief if you defend your I will arrest you. Police even refuse to take reports when it happens.

Ahh, Wisconsin, you guys do have issues, don't you?
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links