Using Your Weapons for Self Defense

This is a discussion on Using Your Weapons for Self Defense within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my "Eight Ball" out to consult...I've had it since I was about 10 years old...Shook it up good...Turned it over...it said..."Info Not Available ...

View Poll Results: Within the next year do you feel you will need to use your weapon for self defense

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly feel

1 1.20%
  • Somewhat feel

18 21.69%
  • Do not feel

64 77.11%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Using Your Weapons for Self Defense

I got my "Eight Ball" out to consult...I've had it since I was about 10 years old...Shook it up good...Turned it over...it said..."Info Not Available at this time"
    Harryball and tcox4freedom like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    I do not "feel" it, and my poll response reflects this, but I acknowledge the possibility, and prepare and act accordingly. I have NO denial whatsoever, but the odds of it happening within this year are slim. Relaxed alertness is the key.
    +1
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    I voted don't feel but I am ready. ( my life style is pretty clean and I don't find myself in places where I have no business) I certainly hope I do not have to. I also have a good attorney set up just in case I have to use my weapon.

Just a second while I check my calendar..., looks like I have a mugging scheduled for May 5th.

Since I know when it's going to happen, I guess I don't need to carry until that day.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

I voted.

Now you get a piece of my mind...

If you "FEEL" you will HAVE to use your weapon in the next year, quarter, fortnight, or day, you may very well HAVE to. There is some truth to the old saw, "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe; the mind can achieve."

It's kinda like the rule of 3 stupids... If you break those rules on a regular basis, you WILL win stupid prizes... Not IF you're lucky, but WHEN you're not.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being prepared. There is nothing wrong with regular practice. There is nothing wrong with a heavy dose of situational awareness.

There is nothing wrong with a mindset that says "If it happens, I am as ready as I can be. And I will do what needs to be done, without hesitation."

But, change one word in that statement (from If to When) and you are starting to create a self fulfilling prophesy.

The odds are, you won't ever need your sidearm. The odds are you won't ever have a house fire, either. I still have a fire extinguisher. But I ain't lookin' for WHEN I'll have to use it... See, that's already happened to me... and I don't look forward to another total loss house fire.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    I highly doubt I'll have to use it, but I'm not going without it either.
    Chesafreak and tcox4freedom like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I carry every day, everwhere that I can for the same reason I wear my seatbelt every day, and keep a fire extinguisher in my kitchen. You just don't know when or if it will happen. If we could predict the future (required to answer the poll) we could just avoid the incident.

I don't see how the OP expects us to answer this question.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    (I don't own any "Weapons" so I don't know how I'd use one. I own handguns and firearms. We in the 2nd Amendment community need to STOP using the "W" word... it makes the Anti's think of the horrible killing machines that bad guys use.

If you start calling them guns, firearms, pistols, revolvers, they become tools, like hammer, wrench, screwdriver, etc. Every little thing to make guns painted in a positive light.)<rant off.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    If I new, I would have my AK that day...
    Woman: "Sheriff I see you have your handgun there, you expecting trouble?"
    Sheriff: "No ma'am if I was expecting trouble I would have brought my Shotgun."

Yup same thing..for me^ I'd bring my Mossberg if I new it was going to be a bad day...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I thought about voting, but since my crystal ball is in the shop right now for repairs I'll just pass on this poll.........
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    This poll is really skewed.
    For one thing the OP needs to describe the term "use".

It's highly unlikely that a CC'er/OC'er will ever have to "shoot" anyone in SD. It's is also hard to determine if/when a CC'er/OC'er will ever need to "use" is PCW in a situation where where "shooting" isn't warranted; but, letting someone know that you are armed is.

It is more likely that a OC'er/CC'er may find themselves in a self-defense "NO" shooting situation than it is a self-defense "shooting". (But, having to "use" a "NO" shoot situation is EXTREMELY rare as well.)

I think the OP needs to change the questions up some. One thing I would say is "I don't expect to have to use my PCW ever. But, it's nice to know I have it available JIC."

I haven't been involved in a traffic accident in DECADES. I NEVER expect to have a traffic accident again; because I always "drive" defensively. HOWEVER, I still buckle up every time I get into a car; because you never know.

To me carrying a firearm is about "LIVING" defensively; because you never know.

-

-

Oh sure, I'll vote... not.... I can see it now...
    Judge: so the prosecution says he has evidence that you felt like you would have to use your weapon this year?
    Me: yes your honor, it was just a silly poll...
    Judge: well, silly or not, you are on record for wanting to use that side arm of yours...
    Me: No... that's not it at all...
    Judge: Ha ha ha ha... Go to Jail, Do not collect $200...

OK, the above is silly... like this question by the OP...

OK, where is my tin hat? I know 'they' are watching me...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

There are a wide range of hazards that I do not EXPECT to be faced with in the foreseeable future, but I am PREPARED to meet them nonetheless.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    To add a couple of things, I do indeed carry WEAPONS. When just out and about, I carry anti-personnel-level defensive weapons. If invited to walk around in rural Alaska, I will up-gun to bear-level defensive weapons. If hunting, I carry an appropriate hunting weapon. Let's not fall into the PC trap. Your average knife may be a true tool, and only incidentally a weapon, but except perhaps for dedicated target/plinking/competition firearms, handguns are weapons.

I have used deadly force against a human being, and he died. It occurred at a post office parking lot in a quite "nice" part of
    town, on a quiet weekday morning. So, yes, it CAN happen, but I do not feel it will happen within the next year. This happened within the scope of my employment as an LEO, but I have also been a plain ol' customer at that same post office numerous times, so I could have been caught up in that incident as an armed citizen.

Don't "feel" like I going to need my seatbelt in the next year either but I put it on EVERY time I get in the car.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links