Using Your Weapons for Self Defense

This is a discussion on Using Your Weapons for Self Defense within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bring the question because more and more people are carrying weapons. I would just like to get a "bead" (pun) on how many believe ...

View Poll Results: Within the next year do you feel you will need to use your weapon for self defense

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strongly feel

1 1.20%
  • Somewhat feel

18 21.69%
  • Do not feel

64 77.11%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Using Your Weapons for Self Defense

Using Your Weapons for Self Defense

I bring the question because more and more people are carrying weapons. I would just like to get a "bead" (pun) on how many believe they will have to use their weapon.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

Calendar or fiscal?
    wmhawth, OldMick and ArkhmAsylm like this.

We may all feel the possibility of needing a weapon which is why we carry but I don't think that we can so easily rate the possibility of using a weapon in self defense.
    MleeC likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Sorry, didn't vote in the poll.... because I think it's a dumb question. The reason for that is simple.... you don't PLAN on your house catching on fire and burning down, but I'm betting you are prepared if it happens and have house insurance. I see no difference here.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I don't think I will need to use my carried tools for self defense, but I am ready. If I could predict outside of a few minutes notice that I was going to need to draw my weapon for self defense then I am not utilizing it correctly and I am stupid for being there. I carry mine as a last option self defense tool. If I KNOW I am going into a situation that I will need to use it, I won't go. I don't carry to allow me to go into bad places and feel safe. That is not my job or responsibility anymore. There is no reward at this moment that is important enough for me to put myself in those risks.

Depends on who is elected in November...
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

There are too many variables to know. That's why I like following the Boy Scout motto. Be prepared.

This fall could be the fall I run into some marijuana farmers out in the public woods as I scout for gun deer season.

i may end up being at the gas station down the street from me at the wrong time. It has been robbed more than once in the years I've lived in my home, but not all that often.

We are in an increasing dangerous time with criminals. We don't have more criminals, we just have more desperate ones that are more dangerous to be around. It's the natural cycle of criminals, much like rabbit and grouse populations naturally go up and down over a 6 to 7 year period.

Do I worry about being a bad situation? For the most part, no. The situation with the marijuana farmers on public land, that does concern me though. They have made busts not that far away from where I hunt. This is the only potentially dangerous situation that I would be walking into.

Everything else is just normal day to day things I do in a very safe city.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

If I new, I would have my AK that day...
    tcox4freedom, Badey, Spec and 2 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I do not "feel" it, and my poll response reflects this, but I acknowledge the possibility, and prepare and act accordingly. I have NO denial whatsoever, but the odds of it happening within this year are slim. Relaxed alertness is the key.

I tried to vote for, "Hope not".
    Tzadik likes this.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

To the OP, we do not have a crystal ball telling us when something might happen. Most of us are prepared for the SHTF moment. All of us pray, it never happens....
    First Sgt likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Let's see. If I "strongly" or "somewhat" feel I will need to use my CCW that means I strongly or somewhat feel that I will be in a 1 v X situation, very possibly with my family, unknown #s and IDs of hostiles, bogeys, friendlies, and/or neutrals, in a location not of my choosing, with limited notice. If I and my loved ones survived that scenario, I'd then have our livelihood and financial assets at risk during possible criminal and civil proceedings.

If I felt this was likely, I would do what was possible to change my locale and habits. [Edit: And if I couldn't change my locale, I'd be sure to always travel with the things someone once said you should always bring to a gunfight - friends and long guns - plus a lawyer on retention]

However, it's my responsibility to be prepared for that very unlikely situation.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Sorry, didn't vote in the poll.... because I think it's a dumb question. The reason for that is simple.... you don't PLAN on your house catching on fire and burning down, but I'm betting you are prepared if it happens and have house insurance. I see no difference here.
    This.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by acepilot View Post
    Depends on who is elected in November...
    Ted? Is that you?
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I put somewhat feel but that does not necessarily mean against a person. My youngest and I spend a good bit of time in the boonies (such as they are here) and we run across gators and wild pigs on occasion. I think I would be more likely to find my self shooting a critter than a person.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links