Preparing for a Riot?

This is a discussion on Preparing for a Riot? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to paraphrase again, Those who do not know history are damned to repeat it....

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Preparing for a Riot?

I am going to paraphrase again, Those who do not know history are damned to repeat it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Sorry--not tanks, but APCs (Armored Personnel Carrier) and halftracks. I know its not relevant to the main topic, but as an OLD Armor officer (Tanker) I just had to clarify the issue
    OK, so make it Detroit:
    During Race Riots In Detroit Army Tanks Patroling Streets News Photo | Getty Images | 53380577
    Chaplain Scott likes this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    this isn't really true, remember the images of the korean shopkeepers who banded together on the roofs of their stores with carbines to ward off the rioters. people who riot are opportunists and usually not too bold, set up a good defensive perimeter and you'd be surprised how easily bands of thugs will be held off.
    I remember the Korean shopkeepers...
    --Jason--

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I think (OP) has a valid concern, With all the random mob attacks recently you never know what idiots will do. My concern isnt looking for riots, it would be me driving home and coming upon one.

I have a "Free Zimmerman" baseball cap and a "Justice for Travon Martin" baseball cap in my jeep. Depending what crowd I come upon I will be prepared to blend in.
    mano3, miklcolt45, tiwee and 4 others like this.

Our little part of town is like an Oreo: a fluffy, white center surrounded by a dark crust - didn't do my homework when we bought the house...

That said, we may have to bug-out or resort to an Alamo type defense...
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

From what I have witnessed in the past is that most rioters,including Sports spectaters who trash the opposing teams town whether they win or lose,don't care about the fact that "WE LOST",or "THEY GOT OFF" what they do is escalate the situation so they can ROB,LOOT,and PILLAGE since the Cops are spread so thin
    MleeC likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    I think (OP) has a valid concern, With all the random mob attacks recently you never know what idiots will do. My concern isnt looking for riots, it would be me driving home and coming upon one.
    I worked in Sanford for six years and on my way home I drove into a Martin Luther Kings Birthday riot in old Goldsboro....burning cars, people dancing on cars, riot police....the whole enchilada. And that was to celebrate MLK Day. When Zimmerman is acquitted (new evidence is gonna destroy the prosecutions case) Sanford will burn to the ground, and around the country innocent people will be drug from the cars at stop lights and assaulted and killed.
    If you are not putting some type of extra precautionary measures in place now, you are kidding yourself. As usual, I see a large majority of members acting like its no big thing. The Ostrich approach only works for.....the Ostrich. Get your head out of the sand. The people of LA did not realize the Rodney King thing was a big deal until the riots started, and by then they were in a deep world of hurt.

This is what I think will become frequent after Zimmermans acquittal. A high cap pistol or a carbine would have gone a long way to saving this guy from the thrashing he took for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

La riots Truck Driver. - YouTube
    Spirit51, sid1 and mano3 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I remember from the Rodney King rioting that the LAPD had pulled out of threatened neighborhoods due to the danger. They left the residents to fend for themselves. LA also had a ban on selling to civilians any ammo or guns per mandate from City Hall because of the anticipated civil unrest with a verdict to be announced. The Korean shopkeepers wisely talked to their friends and relatives outside of LA, got the arms and ammo they needed (even speaking Korean to cloak their activities), and protected their stores. I stayed in my apartment a mile north of the rioting, with my SW Model 59 and a couple mags, just in case. I'm wiser and much better prepared now. And I don't have the illusion that law enforcement will save me.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    No one is going to riot you guys. If they didn't riot over this whole failed occupy movement, they aren't going to riot now.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Senior Moderator
    Rule No. 1 for dealing with a riot...

Dont be there.
    Sig35seven and phreddy like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    I guess im a little confused? I read alot about carrying extra mags to be prepared. Back-up gun to be prepared, bug out bags to be prepared. Pretty much discussing not being caught off guard. Isn't this sort of a reality heads-up, to be prepared IF something should happen from this? Isnt the possiblity there?
    boutaswell likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I worked in Sanford for six years and on my way home I drove into a Martin Luther Kings Birthday riot in old Goldsboro....burning cars, people dancing on cars, riot police....the whole enchilada. And that was to celebrate MLK Day. When Zimmerman is acquitted (new evidence is gonna destroy the prosecutions case) Sanford will burn to the ground, and around the country innocent people will be drug from the cars at stop lights and assaulted and killed.
    If you are not putting some type of extra precautionary measures in place now, you are kidding yourself. As usual, I see a large majority of members acting like its no big thing. The Ostrich approach only works for.....the Ostrich. Get your head out of the sand. The people of LA did not realize the Rodney King thing was a big deal until the riots started, and by then they were in a deep world of hurt.

This is what I think will become frequent after Zimmermans acquittal. A high cap pistol or a carbine would have gone a long way to saving this guy from the thrashing he took for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

La riots Truck Driver. - YouTube
    Quite a few of us remember that riot, Guantes was there IIRC. But, the whole nation was not subject to the same rioting.

Sanford will be the epicenter, without doubt. How far it will spread is anybody's guess. It depends upon the fomentors.

Reasonably certain my neighbors, the cattle and cornfields, won't pay it no mind.

PM me with info on this "new evidence" please.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    No one is going to riot you guys. If they didn't riot over this whole failed occupy movement, they aren't going to riot now.
    Occupy was an entirely different venue. I admire your optimism, but will keep my head above sand, nonetheless.
    Badey, Spirit51 and atctimmy like this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

If by some completely wild billion to one shot the lawless hordes decide to walk from the city out to my neck of the woods I think they would get a very rude awakening. One of the guys in my 'hood owns the newest range in our area and is a class 3 dealer. He has crew served weapons in inventory and literally millions of rounds of ammo. I don't know if the national guard armory near us even has as much firepower on hand as this guy. If the county judge or the governor declared an emergency I imagine my neighborhood would be fairly secure.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links