Preparing for a Riot?

This is a discussion on Preparing for a Riot? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It seems like there are people here that are certain that there will be widespread chaos. It also seems like there are people here who ...

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Preparing for a Riot?

It seems like there are people here that are certain that there will be widespread chaos. It also seems like there are people here who seem to want to ignore the possibility of rioting and the frequency/severity of riots past.

I will add these thoughts to the fray:

1) Where does the Zimmerman/Martin thing sit on the rage-o-meter?

I say not as high as LA riots, but much MUCH higher than the BART shooting. This thing has been mentioned on national TV, by the President, and even in Congress.

2) How wide-spread would a riot be?

I say unless you are in the ghetto, or ghetto adjacent you're in the clear.

In conclusion -- I'm not going to change a thing, I live in Carroll County, Maryland. 2 acre lots means that a rioter would have to walk miles to damage the equivalent of a city block, and we are very well armed.

If I lived in Sanford, my fear would be turning into Reginald Denny -- getting ganged up on because you walked into a bad area at the WRONG time. To prepare for that I'd be aware of my surroundings, listen to the news, and carry enough ammo to fight my way to safety.

Riots aren't a zombie apocalypse, they are a bunch of idiots setting fire to whatever surrounds them.

Sorry if my post is wordy, I just think people are missing the middle-ground option between "everyone is paranoid" and "holy crap, Florida is going to become an urban forest fire!"

2. Remove Ads

Riots are a definate possibility. There is a riot every couple months in the Milwaukee metro area. At the WI state fair last year, I was only 20 min away from being in the middle of that riot. Whites were pulled out of their cars, beaten and whatnot just for being White. There wasn't any reason for the riot except to have a riot. CC wasn't in effect yet, and I think that when one occurs again it might be a different outcome for the rioters. It's sad how much Milwaukee has slid in the past 10 years. I'm glad I live far from the actual city, and it won't spill out this far.

I'm considering getting an AR-15 pistol, as it would really handle some business if something went down and I was trapped in the city doing work. Our CC permit is limited to pistols since AR has a pistol varient I would think that counts.

Really not much you can do to survive if caught in the middle of a riot if a group wants to do you harm. Sure, you can take out some of them but by enraging them, the sheer numbers and riot frenzy will eventually overpower any single person. Your gun will probably be used against you.

Even if defending from home won't work. They can set fire to a house. Only chance is to group up with gun owning neighbors.

In the end, probably the best thing to do is relocate or work in a less volatile area or city.

sgb
    I'm not overly concerned ........

45ACP4ever likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by jasgo View Post
    Really not much you can do to survive if caught in the middle of a riot if a group wants to do you harm. Sure, you can take out some of them but by enraging them, the sheer numbers and riot frenzy will eventually overpower any single person. Your gun will probably be used against you.

Even if defending from home won't work. They can set fire to a house. Only chance is to group up with gun owning neighbors.

In the end, probably the best thing to do is relocate or work in a less volatile area or city.
    apparently you missed the posts that said people involved in mobs or riots are usually weak minded followers and that shooting one or two of them will generally get the rest of them to scatter, then you need to be careful as the less smart try to attack again.
    the only thing they would be able to do with my gun if they got it from me is hit me with it because I would empty out during a struggle for control

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    The possibility of riots has led me to making smaller, concealable fuel tanks for a holstered flame thrower.
    sid1 and AZJD1968 like this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    The possibility of riots has led me to making smaller, concealable fuel tanks for a holstered flame thrower.
    Isn't that just a paint can and a bic lighter?

I'm not looking for any trouble...neither are my close neighbors.
    If trouble comes to our neighborhood, we are all going to turn into Korean shopkeepers.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I'm not overly concerned ........

I am SUPER JEALOUS of the M1!!!! I have wanted one forever, but always seem to end up buying a handgun instead...
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

WOW!... It seems that a few folks are looking forward to some public disorder. Like a few others here I have found myself in the middle of what you'd think of as a riot.

Riots happen all the time. Any and every group has rioted at one time or another. IME Riots can happen for any reason, not just percieved injustice.

Riots can be huge, or they can be small... or anywhere in between.

IMO a firearm isnt the answer. You may well run out of ammo before you run out of rioters. You would likely be overwhelmed and firearm taken from you and used against you or others. The idea that if you shoot a few people, the rest will scatter is not something I'd depend on. Also consider that the rioters may well have their own guns... And maybe gun's bigger and holding more rounds of ammo than yours.

In this situation I dont see a big general riot condition. I do see smaller roving mobs of trouble makers using this subject... or any reason to act out. I am going to be on my pee's n q's during the trial, and on point as it winds down. I dont know there will be trouble, but it's certainly possible. I'd be specially wary around high, and middle schools. I do plan to take some precaution.

1) Keep all cars filled with gas.
    2) Avoid school's
    3) Try to stay as close to home as possible.
    4) Pay close attention to the news.
    5) Check in with, and maintain closer contact than usual with family members.
    6) Have a plan for all of us to get home, and to get out of dodge if me must. (very unlikely)
    Hopyard likes this.

I am dipping the tips of my bullets in pig’s blood just in case any of them been converted
    boutaswell and danwdooley like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    WOW!... It seems that a few folks are looking forward to some public disorder.
    Yup, and that's pretty pathetic when you think about it.
    Especially when coupled with pics of firearms the imaginative think they will use to protect themselves instead of
    adhering to the few smart ideas Secret Spuk posted at the bottom of post 70.

Per Secret S.
    1) Keep all cars filled with gas.
    2) Avoid school's
    3) Try to stay as close to home as possible.
    4) Pay close attention to the news.
    5) Check in with, and maintain closer contact than usual with family members.
    6) Have a plan for all of us to get home, and to get out of dodge if me must. (very unlikely)

All, excellent suggestions.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

As a general matter of course, I try my best to be prepared for whatever the winds of change may blow my way. No special preparations needed.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

There was a street, which I had to drive down , where 'riots ' at the time were frequent, and crowds were stopping cars, pulling out people and beating them ... some to death. When I drove down the street..... I didn't really think about it, but I had all the windows down and was playing Thorogood's .... "BAD TO THE BONE" ..... at nearly full volume.

People stared at me weird, but no-one bothered me ..... even though several others were getting stopped and thoroughly harrassed, cars beat on, etc. ....... then I realized what song I was playing...... LMAO.

George Thorogood - Bad To The Bone (Terminator 2) HQ - Dailymotion-Video
    boutaswell likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I'm not going to contribute to the "it will/won't/maybe/shoulda/coulda/woulda" debate, but I will add that if you want to keep a finger on the pulse of your community, go out now and get a decent police/fire/EMS scanner and learn how to use it. It'll cost you a couple of bills for a good one, but when things go sideways, information is key. It's not about going to the incident, it's about knowing if an incident is coming to you. Just my .02...
    Last edited by Retiredonce; April 27th, 2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Punctuation (or lack thereof...lol)
    Chaplain Scott and mano3 like this.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links