Preparing for a Riot?

This is a discussion on Preparing for a Riot? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend who has a hunting cabin in an area where "Y'all ain't from around here, are 'ya?" is the spoken language. I'll ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Preparing for a Riot?

I have a friend who has a hunting cabin in an area where "Y'all ain't from around here, are 'ya?" is the spoken language. I'll throw everything in the back of the 4X4 and head that way. Nice place. Folks still take care of one another up there.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    I'm not going to contribute to the "it will/won't/maybe/shoulda/coulda/woulda" debate, but I will add that if you want to keep a finger on the pulse of your community, go out now and get a decent police/fire/EMS scanner and learn how to use it. It'll cost you a couple of bills for a good one, but when things go sideways, information is key. It's not about going to the incident, it's about knowing if an incident is coming to you. Just my .02...
    You can also just log into RadioReference.com (at least in my area).
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

After years of collecting guns, and tens of thousands of dollars worth of "accessories," if I'm not prepared by now, I'll never be.
    Eagleks likes this.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I'm not worried so much about those who might decide to riot because of some perceived wrong of the judicial system. I do not believe that their are that many people who would riot over that. What I am worried about are the people who are looking for an excuse to riot. Perfect example would be those who riot after their favorite sports team wins a title. Or decide to take to the streets when the power goes off city wide.

Its these folks that just wait for an excuse or opportunity that worry me. They are rioting for fun.

Michael
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    apparently you missed the posts that said people involved in mobs or riots are usually weak minded followers and that shooting one or two of them will generally get the rest of them to scatter, then you need to be careful as the less smart try to attack again.
    the only thing they would be able to do with my gun if they got it from me is hit me with it because I would empty out during a struggle for control
    I didn't see those posts. Was it from people who actually experienced that (took some out and survived). I kind of think it depends on what kind of riot or mob it is and if there are several aggressive and violent leaders present. I don't think anyone can predict or generalize the makeup and tendencies of any particular mob. A mob bent on violence can have some that are armed. That's the nature of mobs and riots, very unpredictable. If your gun is empty, there is such a thing as pistol whipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I have a friend who has a hunting cabin in an area where "Y'all ain't from around here, are 'ya?" is the spoken language. I'll throw everything in the back of the 4X4 and head that way. Nice place. Folks still take care of one another up there.
    Family Guy - Kermit The Racist - YouTube
    mano3 likes this.

When the 'mini-mob' showed up at my house they all scattered when I finally had to draw - Female Neighbor Invades Home

If a riot broke out in our neighborhood I know she'd bring her cronies to my place. Good news is that my entire family now has a weapon each and knows how to shoot them!
    boutaswell and The Old Anglo like this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    why do some people always insist on putting words into other people's mouths?
    Maybe if you would have read the thread..... even more so post number one, you would see I am not putting any words in anyone mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Sorry, I don't think this has been discussed, but I'll admit that I didn't real every one of the bazillion pages on the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin subject.

Thinking back to the Rodney King episode in 1992, I see a real possibility of white vs. back riots coming to the country when the verdict is eventually announced in this case. While I don't believe that these are likely to come to Texas, I suppose it is a possibility. But something to consider that is a huge difference between 1992 and now is that many states, including my own, did not allow concealed carry back then but they do now. So I am curious what effect that might have on rioters. I would suspect most riots would be in California, where unfortunately most of the big cities do not allow concealed carry.

I'm curious if anyone else will be taking specific precautions to protect themselves and their families in the event of a riot?
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyAirdale View Post
    Seriously in a state of denial.
    No, I'm not willing to go into panic mode over the smallest thing. This thread reminds me of then Obama got into office. Gun prices shot up, ammo was no longer around all because the little boys feared that the big bad leftest guy from Chicago was going to take their ball away from them.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    No, I'm not willing to go into panic mode over the smallest thing. This thread reminds me of then Obama got into office. Gun prices shot up, ammo was no longer around all because the little boys feared that the big bad leftest guy from Chicago was going to take their ball away from them.
    he is and he will be worse if returned to office
    Spirit51 likes this.

Unfortunately, from some of the remarks I've seen in response, I really don't understand why you have a firearm. I don't know, what I own is mine and some ******* is not going to burn it...at least the first dozen or so aren't. The same people that will bow down to the regime when they come for the firearms. Let's not upset anyone, they might get angry. You know, some people are a lot like the Korean shopkeepers, they are not going to watch their stuff be destroyed by a bunch of malcontents. It may never happen where I am, probably won't. But if it does, I'm not going to tuck my tail and run. I'm not looking for trouble but I'm not running either.
    Richard, SFC US Army (Ret)

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” ― Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    If by some completely wild billion to one shot the lawless hordes decide to walk from the city out to my neck of the woods I think they would get a very rude awakening. One of the guys in my 'hood owns the newest range in our area and is a class 3 dealer. He has crew served weapons in inventory and literally millions of rounds of ammo. I don't know if the national guard armory near us even has as much firepower on hand as this guy. If the county judge or the governor declared an emergency I imagine my neighborhood would be fairly secure.
    To the OPs question, know your state's law regarding weapons during a declaration of emergency. May not change what you do but may change the ramifications.
    mlr1m likes this.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Just put a sign around your neck, "MSNBC Reporter" & carry a camera, no one will bother you.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

If there are riots in northern NH then this country is in BIG trouble.

I had a friend in the guard back in the day. They were called up to Chicago during the riots and were not given ammo. There were people shooting at them the first day. He and a few friends drove over 150 miles that night to get home where they armed themselves with personal pistols and ammo and went back. He said that by the 3rd day no one was shooting at him anymore.
    Chaplain Scott likes this.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Links