Preparing for a Riot? - Page 7

Preparing for a Riot?

This is a discussion on Preparing for a Riot? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by faif2d I had a friend in the guard back in the day. They were called up to Chicago during the riots and ...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Preparing for a Riot?

Quote Originally Posted by faif2d View Post
    I had a friend in the guard back in the day. They were called up to Chicago during the riots and were not given ammo. There were people shooting at them the first day.
    Can never exclude the fact that anyone can have guns in mobs. Even if just only a handful do, it can really present a problem for a single lone defender in an urban environment at short ranges no matter how heavily armed. You can get pinned down by fire while being rushed or attacked from any of 360 degrees.

Riots can and do get violent. Death stats of the 1992 LA riot: http://www.ssc.wisc.edu/~oliver/soc2...2%20Deaths.htm. Some of the lone victims not involved with the rioting or looting might have had a handgun and felt safe with it but being solo makes you vulnerable.

Really, the best chance of survival and mob deterrence is to have several co-gun owners defending as a group. Here's a 1992 LA riot photo of armed shop owners: Ask a Korean!: Ask a Korean! News: Picture from 1992 LA Riot. Wonder if the guy with the shotgun had slugs. They could have used someone with a scoped bolt action rifle. If you think about it, would have taken only one person in the mob with a simple hunting rifle to give the shop owners problems.

If you're by yourself, it's only a power of 1. But if you have a well armed partner, it's squared (2x2) and like a power of 4. Have three of you well armed, then it's like a power of 9. And so on.

Also, the role of handguns is reduced in favor of a long arm. I try to keep a sensible ratio of handguns to rifles with a preference to spend/invest more of my money towards rifles, optics, and rifle ammo. Suggest having at least 2 identical ARs (one for practice/backup and one for actual need) and optics for each for both CQB and magnification for longer ranges. Adds up to maybe $2500 per quality AR with quality optics, accessories, and ammo. A lot more for an HK MR556.
    Last edited by jasgo; April 30th, 2012 at 08:36 PM.

Also don't forget you may be driving the weapon of choice for defense. I will not be pulled from my pickup truck by a mob unles enough of them get stuck under it to lift the tires off the ground. Then the gun comes out until I escape or run out of ammo and am overpowered trying to beat my way out. Either way I will not go alone. Of course I left the city long ago and don't see the mobs driving for hours to loot a town of a couple thousand, plus here they will be met by a couple thousand deer hunters locked and loaded with tags to fill.

Yes, some people will he ticked off and those people will cause other people to be ticked off and so it goes. Me? I plan to stay out of the BS tha will happen. I will get involved if it gets to my side of town and it's knocken on my door. Just because others get stupid does not mean I have to join them. I've seen enough violence in my life to last me for the rest of mine. I don't need to go looking for more.

Vv
    Lehcpa likes this.

It's not a question of if a riot will happen, just when and where....

Violence, arrests at Seattle May Day protests | Local News | The Seattle Times
    sid1 likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I don't think any media has brought this up, but if I was living in any mob or riot prone urban area, the period immediately after the trial in FL ends with a verdict is a time to be cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by tiwee View Post
    Different mood in the country today. In the sixties, I remember many thought the civil rights movement was justified and supported the ideals. Today the moral decline in youth in general disgusts most blacks and whites alike. Perhaps the responsible members of society will see to it any widespread outrage is confined to legal means of expression. Communicate to your elected local and state officials that you expect they will be prepared to maintain public order and safety.
    Sure the adults may be disgusted by the actions of the youth, but that isn't going to stop the youths from burning shops and turning over police cars.

As far as elected officials and police protecting us, I can see something like what happend in LA happening in Florida. The police will be so out numbered they will have to withdraw. I do see the possibility of this spreading to other cities because it's an excuse to trash the town.

In one of the cases orf riots after a world series (not sure if it was Phily or San Fran) there were reports of people on subways talking about rioting after the final game of world series before the game even started. There were people on the subway headed downtown to be near the action even though they didn't have a ticket to the game. They suspected there would be looting and they wanted to be part of it.

Does nobody know how to lock their car doors?

CCW on me and concealed unless needed, doors of home and car locked at all times unless literally going through the door. So in other words nothing different.

Just keep the situational awareness on and tuned at all times.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

A riot would not be the type of situation I'd like to find myself in. I guess, like the guys that helped Reginald Denny, I'd act like a rioter until I got the heck out of Dodge...

…or, I'd grab the AR and the helmet cam and build up the resumé. Either way, some interesting stories would come of it.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jasgo View Post
    Riots can and do get violent. Death stats of the 1992 LA riot: LA Riot Deaths. Some of the lone victims not involved with the rioting or looting might have had a handgun and felt safe with it but being solo makes you vulnerable.

If you're by yourself, it's only a power of 1. But if you have a well armed partner, it's squared (2x2) and like a power of 4. Have three of you well armed, then it's like a power of 9. And so on.

Also, the role of handguns is reduced in favor of a long arm. I try to keep a sensible ratio of handguns to rifles with a preference to spend/invest more of my money towards rifles, optics, and rifle ammo. Suggest having at least 2 identical ARs (one for practice/backup and one for actual need) and optics for each for both CQB and magnification for longer ranges. Adds up to maybe $2500 per quality AR with quality optics, accessories, and ammo. A lot more for an HK MR556.

http://askakorean.blogspot.com/2011/...ran-story.html

Interesting picture for sure, but I find it interesting that several of the men have a cloth tied to their head. I know this was tradition in Japan during WWII, so I assume it has some significance to the Koreans. Without meaning to be disrespectfull because I do respect what they did, the cloth makes them look like mall ninja's, plus if someone in the mob was armed it would give them something more visable to shoot at. I think I would have prefered black or cammo headbands if I had the time. Perhaps they had passed the word to use the headbands as means of identifing good guys, which would be a very good idea considering the confusion going on.

I agree that having an armed partner would greatly increase your effectiveness, however only if you had previously trained together, or were both of like mind and quick to assess and adjust to the changing situation, other wise your just likely to get in each others way or end up going off in different tangents. The Koreans seem to have arrived at a doable effective solution to the threat they were facing. Great job.

I have an AK as a SHTF gun so I see no need for a second gun to train with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    None. 1) Riots are irrational acts, so thought to the gun issue as a deterrent won't be involved. 2) The easiest way to
    get your backside in deep doo would be to put yourself where a riot is happening and then use a gun to either promote the riot
    or pretend that you had to defend yourself. It won't fly either way.

3) Posts like this are just pot stirring by people with active imaginations.
    Do you feel the same way regarding preparing for home invasions or robberies? Muggings, carjackings or other crimes? The chances of any of these things happening to a person is actually quite small if you can believe the crime statistics. The chances of being hit by a tornado even in tornado alley where I live is very slim but that doesn't prevent reasonable thinking individuals from preparing.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Ask a Korean!: Ask a Korean! News: Picture from 1992 LA Riot

Interesting picture for sure, but I find it interesting that several of the men have a cloth tied to their head. I know this was tradition in Japan during WWII, so I assume it has some significance to the Koreans. Without meaning to be disrespectfull because I do respect what they did, the cloth makes them look like mall ninja's, plus if someone in the mob was armed it would give them something more visable to shoot at. I think I would have prefered black or cammo headbands if I had the time. Perhaps they had passed the word to use the headbands as means of identifing good guys, which would be a very good idea considering the confusion going on.

I agree that having an armed partner would greatly increase your effectiveness, however only if you had previously trained together, or were both of like mind and quick to assess and adjust to the changing situation, other wise your just likely to get in each others way or end up going off in different tangents. The Koreans seem to have arrived at a doable effective solution to the threat they were facing. Great job.

I have an AK as a SHTF gun so I see no need for a second gun to train with.
    Regarding the head-bands:

I was told that the emblem on the top of the Marine Corps dress hat (cover, whatever, I'm a Civie) is supposed to be representative of the brightly colored ropes that Marines would tie to themselves when attacking and boarding another ship, the idea being that they wouldn't get shot by their own guys. (Obviously this is in the black-powder days so you can imagine visibility was an issue.) -- Any truth to this?

If so, I think they had the same idea in mind with the head-bands. That's a field expedient uniform that is visible in chaos. Humans also tend to look at each other's heads, so this could be a quick shoot/no-shoot.

I know I'm the original poster here.. but after thinking on this for a while I think the best thing I can do to prepare, especially in the days approaching the verdict of a certain court case, I want to make sure I have more ammo with me. I'm one of the few around here who normally only carry the ammo that will fit inside my gun. Typically I do not carry spare magazines. I still think that is fine if I am only fending off one or maybe two people. But if it is a crowd, I might need more, especially if I wind up taking cover and ending up in some kind of gun fight. So as the day approaches I'll make sure to carry some spare magazines.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I know I'm the original poster here.. but after thinking on this for a while I think the best thing I can do to prepare, especially in the days approaching the verdict of a certain court case, I want to make sure I have more ammo with me. I'm one of the few around here who normally only carry the ammo that will fit inside my gun. Typically I do not carry spare magazines. I still think that is fine if I am only fending off one or maybe two people. But if it is a crowd, I might need more, especially if I wind up taking cover and ending up in some kind of gun fight. So as the day approaches I'll make sure to carry some spare magazines.

Do you carry something weird like a Makarov? (9x18).

In my eyes High Cap mags are definitely your friend because it gets a little hard to reload when you have multiple people hitting and grabbing you.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Links