Preparing for a Riot? - Page 9

Preparing for a Riot?

This is a discussion on Preparing for a Riot? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With evolution of CC and OC, I can see riots starting and ending for people real quick if they attack. There are are roughly 6 ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Preparing for a Riot?

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    With evolution of CC and OC, I can see riots starting and ending for people real quick if they attack. There are are roughly 6 million people licensed to carry since the movement began. How many any more that simply open carry? I think things would go a tad differently should riots pop up. Might be bad for Chicago, New York, LA, San Fran, New Jersey and DC.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Who, me? I think in the event of widespread civil unrest, you'd find me and mine in the middle of a lake somewhere, fishin'. I certainly would't be driving around the riotous areas and wouldn't be sitting at home waiting for the situation to come to me. Why? To make sure no one gets my flat screen and all my cool DVDs? Insurance will cover that and if it doesn't oh well. One responsibility of the head of the household is to protect those under his or her care. Piling my charges in the basement while I stand in the window shooting at knuckleheads is not something I'd even consider.
    Rexdale.TO likes this.

A mob is a mob when the mob thinks it has free reign. When shots ring out the mob becomes a bunch of individuals scattering for their hind ends. Every time ive seen an out of control mob and there is a single gun shot..a single shot..what happens? people scatter.
    Rioters are groups of people who dont know each other and who are mutualy looking to score either some goods or some kicks.

I strongly believe that armed resitance from folks protecting their businesses and homes is far more desirable than leaving cover in hopes of making it through the streets. One well armed person in good cover can keep a host of people at bay.

Even if you were caught in your car at a stop light. Having a gun could buy you those seconds needed to get away before being dragged out and beat. It may do absolutely no good..but at least its more of a chance than having nothing but an obama sticker on your bumper.

The Liberals who want to talk it out with the rioters will give normal folks time to secure themselves and family. Once the crowd gets through the WSO yelling "Hey i'm one of you one of the 99%!" they will meet a ready and able front of armed citizens who will not go gently into that good night..

Be prepared as best you can.Thats all

VIP Member
    I think things would have to get really bad for riots to affect Farmer Timmy. If things were that serious I would have a number of family members already at my house in the country (having fled from the suburbs).

I can see about 1/2 mile down the country road in each direction from my barn . With 1 man and a rifle it would be easy to discourage a mob from coming up my street.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by aworldexport View Post
    A mob is a mob when the mob thinks it has free reign. When shots ring out the mob becomes a bunch of individuals scattering for their hind ends. Every time ive seen an out of control mob and there is a single gun shot..a single shot..what happens? people scatter.
    Rioters are groups of people who dont know each other and who are mutualy looking to score either some goods or some kicks.

I strongly believe that armed resitance from folks protecting their businesses and homes is far more desirable than leaving cover in hopes of making it through the streets. One well armed person in good cover can keep a host of people at bay.

Even if you were caught in your car at a stop light. Having a gun could buy you those seconds needed to get away before being dragged out and beat. It may do absolutely no good..but at least its more of a chance than having nothing but an obama sticker on your bumper.

The Liberals who want to talk it out with the rioters will give normal folks time to secure themselves and family. Once the crowd gets through the WSO yelling "Hey i'm one of you one of the 99%!" they will meet a ready and able front of armed citizens who will not go gently into that good night..

Be prepared as best you can.Thats all
    Sorry to necro, why not march on with the rioters to the true enemies. Longer term of course, not saying you won't but if you live in the area Idk if you know some of the people in the front 'leading' it you can control, like anything. A mob is a bunch of people who are operating on instinct, much easier to control than reg. social stuff because there's no bs to bypass (set up by some beta male, female, w.e to repress for w.e) you know what I mean?

I can remember those Korean shop owners holding their ground during the LA riots with handguns. They weren't about to let some mob of thugs wreck their livelihoods or property. It worked too. No reason I can think of that it wouldn't work again.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I was living in L.A. at the time and i was cheering for those Korean shop owners.People of my race were being pulled from cars and beaten simply because of the color of their skin.You cannot reason with that kind of thinking.Just need to do your best to protect yourself.

People who live out on rural properties don't have to worry about mobs of gang banging, thug, looters because they don't like camping,swiming, or #2's in the woods.But those in populated areas should make some preperations.And pay attention to local news.

Those riots started out small around 3pm but became city wide by 8pm..I will never forget as long as i live when the Police chief came on tv and said to the effect of "we can't control this you are on your own".I went from an immature liberal to a mature conservative that very instant.I cannot prepare for every event possible,but i dont ever want to feel helpless like that again.
    marcclarke likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by billstaf View Post
    I can remember those Korean shop owners holding their ground during the LA riots with handguns. They weren't about to let some mob of thugs wreck their livelihoods or property. It worked too. No reason I can think of that it wouldn't work again.
    As I recall the National Guard came by and disarmed at least some of the armed Korean shop owners who had been successfully defending their shops. Then the National Guard left the area. The following night the rioters burned out those now-undefended shops. That was a big take-home learning for me; the National Guard is not necessarily on the side of the law-abiding property-owning citizens.

When Martin Luther King was assassinated in 1968 I was 18 years old and lived in Northern Virginia. The riots started that night in DC. Rioters were coming into Northern Virginia and started killing innocent victims of the other race. The black panthers have been calling for blood in the streets since forever. We have a very twisted culture of selfishness and disrespect for life altogether and we have a political party in this country that uses race as a wedge issue to achieve political agendas and to consolidate power. The current policy of our government is to keep the different races at each others throat. The old saying that a house devised against itself cannot stand and that is exactly the point. A strong and united country is not a good thing for a certain political party. Until the truth gets spoken and understood by all I think it best that people need to be situationally aware...not paranoid...just aware.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I think once the press announces that the jury is deliberating, I'll be extra, extra careful...take time off from work, maybe get a scanner as mentioned here, etc. As far as my neighborhood, fortunately, we live quite far from the city of Sanford's questionable areas, however, all my neighbors that I know of are well prepared just in case. I will be getting a carbine or rifle of some kind for the home before then.

rex said-"Sorry to necro, why not march on with the rioters to the true enemies. Longer term of course, not saying you won't but if you live in the area Idk if you know some of the people in the front 'leading' it you can control, like anything. A mob is a bunch of people who are operating on instinct, much easier to control than reg. social stuff because there's no bs to bypass (set up by some beta male, female, w.e to repress for w.e) you know what I mean? "

Sure i understand but the thing is the people i know and are friends with won't be leading a pack of rioters looting in the streets.

I could try an "Animal House" approach where i push the guy in front of the mob out of the way and then steer the marching band-i mean rioters down a dead end alley where they will get stuck and confused. Seeing the intellegence level of such folks its not a half bad ideer.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    I see not just white/black, but all other races thrown in as well. Remember Rodney King? Some of the biggest flareups were in Korean neighborhoods.

And you don't believe they'll come to your area? You're an optimist. DFW is ripe, though Houston/SA might be hit harder.

Had family members in vicinity of Rodney King riots. No one got to their neighborhood, and they stayed put, ready to defend if necessary.

"Best defense, not be there." - Mr Miyagi

Second best defense - prepare to not have to be there. I'm no doomsday prepper, but we're already set with all we need to hang out a week or more without going into town, and my goal is a full month. Biggest hamper to this isn't food, but enough fuel to run the generator to run the well pump. The hooch is far from pop centers and one way in, one way out unless they want to go through some thick woods.

If we're in town when the balloon goes up, hopefully SA tells me things are going bad and we can get out quick. The flashmob thing worries me a bit, though.

Worst case for me is that I'm in Boston (don't have MA permit yet) with the family and it goes to hell. There are a few Irish and Italian establishments that I think would be pretty safe, though. One of the folks might even be willing to lend me something to help defend the premises with. Given my choice, I'd run into an Italian restaurant in the North End, better food if we're holed up for a while.
    Now there' a guy that has been thinking ahead!

I agree, if I know in advance when they expect a vedict I would most likely prefer to be at home if possible and I do have a month of supplies stored at home. If things get bad I plan on calling in sick and waiting things out if I have to. I just placed an order for additional ammo for my AK which should be here in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Or the dreaded 'Crow riot'. You don't even see them coming.
    Interesting that you bring up crows. A large group of rioting people could accurately be called a mob. A group of crows is called a murder. Maybe we should switch this around. We should call a group of crows a mob and a group of rioters a murder.

Michael

I remember the Los Angeles riots. I didn't live close, but my Dad had to drive way too close on the way home from work. He came near to being killed.

I live in a rural area. A Race riot is a possibility, but would most likely start 40 or so miles to the south of me if it was to start.

Being prepared for bad times is wise, and, although I'm not completely there, I am well on the way.

Always be a boy scout,,,,be prepared...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Links