Defensive Carry banner

Preparing for a Riot?

20K views 137 replies 80 participants last post by  Armey 
#1 ·
Sorry, I don't think this has been discussed, but I'll admit that I didn't real every one of the bazillion pages on the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin subject.

Thinking back to the Rodney King episode in 1992, I see a real possibility of white vs. black riots coming to the country when the verdict is eventually announced in this case. While I don't believe that these are likely to come to Texas, I suppose it is a possibility. But something to consider that is a huge difference between 1992 and now is that many states, including my own, did not allow concealed carry back then but they do now. So I am curious what effect that might have on rioters. I would suspect most riots would be in California, where unfortunately most of the big cities do not allow concealed carry.

I'm curious if anyone else will be taking specific precautions to protect themselves and their families in the event of a riot?

#2 ·
I see a real possibility of white vs. black riots coming to the country when the verdict is eventually announced in this case.
Don't mean to nitpick, but I think you have that the wrong way around, and it's really just bringing up a point. If he is convicted, I don't see a bunch of white people rioting. If he is not convicted, I can see a bunch of black people rioting similar to the King episode as you described. I say that because I think this has been made a racial issue by those that seek to USE it as such.

As far as your questions, I don't really think that it would have much weight on anyone's decision to riot. At least not until they saw a couple of their buddies get some hot lead brain surgery by the people they were attacking.

#3 ·
Sit in your lazy boy and watch the news. If it happens, so be it. My state of preparation will not change.

#4 ·
Sorry, I don't think this has been discussed, but I'll admit that I didn't real every one of the bazillion pages on the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin subject.

Thinking back to the Rodney King episode in 1992, I see a real possibility of white vs. back riots coming to the country when the verdict is eventually announced in this case. While I don't believe that these are likely to come to Texas, I suppose it is a possibility. But something to consider that is a huge difference between 1992 and now is that many states, including my own, did not allow concealed carry back then but they do now. So I am curious what effect that might have on rioters. I would suspect most riots would be in California, where unfortunately most of the big cities do not allow concealed carry.

I'm curious if anyone else will be taking specific precautions to protect themselves and their families in the event of a riot?
None. 1) Riots are irrational acts, so thought to the gun issue as a deterrent won't be involved. 2) The easiest way to
get your backside in deep doo would be to put yourself where a riot is happening and then use a gun to either promote the riot
or pretend that you had to defend yourself. It won't fly either way.

3) Posts like this are just pot stirring by people with active imaginations.

#7 ·
None. 1) Riots are irrational acts, so thought to the gun issue as a deterrent won't be involved. 2) The easiest way to
get your backside in deep doo would be to put yourself where a riot is happening and then use a gun to either promote the riot
or pretend that you had to defend yourself. It won't fly either way.

3) Posts like this are just pot stirring by people with active imaginations.

++ 1

#6 ·
-
None differently than I am doing now.

I bought a Magnum container of Sabre spray (in case of mob scenes while driving) along with a back-up keychain canister of Sabre Red for the car (the latter in case I forget to pocket my carry-along). I always keep a round chambered & bought +1 extensions for all of my EDC mags (I carry two spares when out-&-about), & keep a loaded back-up mag along with my G17 at home.

As I was putting my extra mags in the safe after my recent range trip, I started thinking about whether I should pre-load my extra spares with ball ammo for those special occasions...or at least to be one step ahead for the next range day. The extra mags seem almost lonely without ammo, so I'll likely do that in the coming days.

#8 ·
Don't live or work in an area where the population might riot.
It is standard self protection protocol, avoid and evade or counter.
In a riot you will be overwhelmed if you become a target, escape is your only real option.

#10 ·
I see not just white/black, but all other races thrown in as well. Remember Rodney King? Some of the biggest flareups were in Korean neighborhoods.

And you don't believe they'll come to your area? You're an optimist. DFW is ripe, though Houston/SA might be hit harder.

Had family members in vicinity of Rodney King riots. No one got to their neighborhood, and they stayed put, ready to defend if necessary.

"Best defense, not be there." - Mr Miyagi

Second best defense - prepare to not have to be there. I'm no doomsday prepper, but we're already set with all we need to hang out a week or more without going into town, and my goal is a full month. Biggest hamper to this isn't food, but enough fuel to run the generator to run the well pump. The hooch is far from pop centers and one way in, one way out unless they want to go through some thick woods.

If we're in town when the balloon goes up, hopefully SA tells me things are going bad and we can get out quick. The flashmob thing worries me a bit, though.

Worst case for me is that I'm in Boston (don't have MA permit yet) with the family and it goes to hell. There are a few Irish and Italian establishments that I think would be pretty safe, though. One of the folks might even be willing to lend me something to help defend the premises with. Given my choice, I'd run into an Italian restaurant in the North End, better food if we're holed up for a while.

#132 ·
I see not just white/black, but all other races thrown in as well. Remember Rodney King? Some of the biggest flareups were in Korean neighborhoods.

And you don't believe they'll come to your area? You're an optimist. DFW is ripe, though Houston/SA might be hit harder.

Had family members in vicinity of Rodney King riots. No one got to their neighborhood, and they stayed put, ready to defend if necessary.

"Best defense, not be there." - Mr Miyagi

Second best defense - prepare to not have to be there. I'm no doomsday prepper, but we're already set with all we need to hang out a week or more without going into town, and my goal is a full month. Biggest hamper to this isn't food, but enough fuel to run the generator to run the well pump. The hooch is far from pop centers and one way in, one way out unless they want to go through some thick woods.

If we're in town when the balloon goes up, hopefully SA tells me things are going bad and we can get out quick. The flashmob thing worries me a bit, though.

Worst case for me is that I'm in Boston (don't have MA permit yet) with the family and it goes to hell. There are a few Irish and Italian establishments that I think would be pretty safe, though. One of the folks might even be willing to lend me something to help defend the premises with. Given my choice, I'd run into an Italian restaurant in the North End, better food if we're holed up for a while.
Now there' a guy that has been thinking ahead!

I agree, if I know in advance when they expect a vedict I would most likely prefer to be at home if possible and I do have a month of supplies stored at home. If things get bad I plan on calling in sick and waiting things out if I have to. I just placed an order for additional ammo for my AK which should be here in a few days.

#12 ·
I don't think the Idea of concealed carry won’t matter when people riot. It is more to the Idea that they can destroy and hurt people without recourse of prosecution. History has taught us that the poverty stricken parts of towns have nothing to lose.

A lot of young people don’t remember the race riots of the 60’s… Newark N.J, Chicago, IL. Then there was the Rodney king garbage and the destruction of LA, add New Orleans to the list because they took away the rights of gun owners. Now we will most likely have one in FL and possibly other places.

The SYG laws will make a difference this time; where in LA we seen business owners get arrested because they tried to protect their shops from looters. Texas has a law that says you can’t disarm the population

Will they enact marshal law; that is yet to be seen? The problem with these riots they hurt themselves by burning their own neighborhoods. When that happen no one goes back in to rebuild; why should they?

So the answer to your question is the SYG law will make a big difference when the riots happen because for once people will be able to fight back instead of running away

#13 ·
Only change I'll make is the gun I carry everyday. While I currently carry a 6+1 .45 with no spare magazine on work days, for a while I'll carry a 14+1 9mm and a spare magazine. At home things won't change. My 12ga pump with 00 buck shot will be the go to gun.

#15 ·
It has been discussed in our family. We are in a small town, so the chances of that here are slim to none, but my son in law works daily in the Metro inner city. Our advice to him is if he sees a large crowd coming toward him....beat feet outta there. My daughter also reviewed his insurance policies (not to be morbid, but one has to prepare when there are children to be raised). He is from Belgium and is somewhat naive. He thinks that as long as he has "peace" and "goodwill" in his heart, he is safe. That is what got him several broken ribs when a drunk Amish teen kicked him in the chest when he tried to "help" him.

#16 ·
I have experienced several riots. A handgun/shotgun will leave you very out numbered and you will not win if you use it. They'll burn you out. There will be many who also have guns as well. The best tactic in my opinion is to leave the area asap or stay low if you can't get out.

#23 ·
this isn't really true, remember the images of the korean shopkeepers who banded together on the roofs of their stores with carbines to ward off the rioters. people who riot are opportunists and usually not too bold, set up a good defensive perimeter and you'd be surprised how easily bands of thugs will be held off.

#17 ·
I live in Sanford right close to downtown where all the protests have taken place and not so good areas. I'm not particularly worried, it's just not my nature. But I do pray, along with many others here, for this city. I will continue to be watchful and carry as always. Sorry, Sig35, I have no plans to leave my home.

#19 ·
If I can foresee the danger, I will stay in my house with my Mossberg 500 and 00 buck along with my Kel-Tec PLR-16 and extra 30 rnd. mags. I have security/hurricane shutters on every double pane window and a fiberglass door. My property is bordered with a 6' high solid fence on both sides that extends all the way down to the sea wall. The house is block with a concrete tile roof and built like a fortress. It's the safest place I can think of.

#21 ·
This is what the BOB and my Jeep are for. Two weeks worth of supplies, ammunition and a way to go places most people can't.

#24 ·
Sadly, but also fortunately for most others... The "rioting types" usually end up destroying their own neighborhoods when they decide to throw a fit.

I try to avoid those areas even in good times, if things seem to be getting squirrely you won't catch me within 5 miles of low-income housing. I figure they won't ride their bicycles much further than that! :smile:

#25 ·
Well I just got a bottle of Jack. I guess I could stock up on munchies.
Geographically speaking I am not in an area where I expect rioting. If things start to look like stuff is ramping up I will make sure the wife has something handy and that she takes a radio (2 way) with her when she goes to work.
I expect the only rioting I am going to see is on TV.

#26 ·
The only race riots that would occur in my town are if the horses or Black Angus decide to riot--if so, then we humans are in trouble--we are greatly outnumbered.:hand5:

On a serious note--if it were to happen that I was surrounded in an actual riot and they attempted to pull me out of my truck, they could probably do it, but the first 12 or 13 of 'em would be bleeding on the ground with big holes in them.........

#27 · (Edited)
WHEC'S comment Do I take precautions in general for any event? Yup.

pretty well sums up how responsible citizens need to be in the here & now and how you prep is highly personal--where you live, whats close by, what may see your area as desirable....

do i stay or do i go....each
generation has faced 'new' troubles and through us being here now, has succeeded.

will we be able to say that 10 years from now? and will it be by hand delivered mail or internt?

#28 ·
Was in Newark NJ in the 60's riots....................So.
Seen one you seen them all........
Really? I was there; we grew up not to far from there and this didn't look nothing like LA. I don't remember any tanks in LA and cop shooting LIVE ammo at civilians! That crap in FL in my day they would have been crushed.... like Kent state shooting

#29 ·
Sorry--not tanks, but APCs (Armored Personnel Carrier) and halftracks. I know its not relevant to the main topic, but as an OLD Armor officer (Tanker) I just had to clarify the issue :wink:

#30 ·
There were tanks in Newark............remember them comming off Rt 1 and down Frelinghuysen Ave. to Broad Street.. Also, the National Guard was issued rifles but no ammunition.....used to have lunch where a few of the NG staff would eat....remembering hearing one say, if we gave them live ammo they'd kill themselves.......that was back then.
NJ State Police and K9's cleaned up the mess......

#38 ·
I worked in Sanford for six years and on my way home I drove into a Martin Luther Kings Birthday riot in old Goldsboro....burning cars, people dancing on cars, riot police....the whole enchilada. And that was to celebrate MLK Day. :blink: When Zimmerman is acquitted (new evidence is gonna destroy the prosecutions case) Sanford will burn to the ground, and around the country innocent people will be drug from the cars at stop lights and assaulted and killed.
If you are not putting some type of extra precautionary measures in place now, you are kidding yourself. As usual, I see a large majority of members acting like its no big thing. The Ostrich approach only works for.....the Ostrich. Get your head out of the sand. The people of LA did not realize the Rodney King thing was a big deal until the riots started, and by then they were in a deep world of hurt.

This is what I think will become frequent after Zimmermans acquittal. A high cap pistol or a carbine would have gone a long way to saving this guy from the thrashing he took for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

La riots Truck Driver. - YouTube

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.