Preparing for a Riot?

This is a discussion on Preparing for a Riot? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry, I don't think this has been discussed, but I'll admit that I didn't real every one of the bazillion pages on the George Zimmerman/Trayvon ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Preparing for a Riot?

Preparing for a Riot?

Sorry, I don't think this has been discussed, but I'll admit that I didn't real every one of the bazillion pages on the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin subject.

Thinking back to the Rodney King episode in 1992, I see a real possibility of white vs. black riots coming to the country when the verdict is eventually announced in this case. While I don't believe that these are likely to come to Texas, I suppose it is a possibility. But something to consider that is a huge difference between 1992 and now is that many states, including my own, did not allow concealed carry back then but they do now. So I am curious what effect that might have on rioters. I would suspect most riots would be in California, where unfortunately most of the big cities do not allow concealed carry.

I'm curious if anyone else will be taking specific precautions to protect themselves and their families in the event of a riot?
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I see a real possibility of white vs. black riots coming to the country when the verdict is eventually announced in this case.
    Don't mean to nitpick, but I think you have that the wrong way around, and it's really just bringing up a point. If he is convicted, I don't see a bunch of white people rioting. If he is not convicted, I can see a bunch of black people rioting similar to the King episode as you described. I say that because I think this has been made a racial issue by those that seek to USE it as such.

As far as your questions, I don't really think that it would have much weight on anyone's decision to riot. At least not until they saw a couple of their buddies get some hot lead brain surgery by the people they were attacking.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Sit in your lazy boy and watch the news. If it happens, so be it. My state of preparation will not change.
    mkh, suntzu, thephanatik and 5 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    Sorry, I don't think this has been discussed, but I'll admit that I didn't real every one of the bazillion pages on the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin subject.

Thinking back to the Rodney King episode in 1992, I see a real possibility of white vs. back riots coming to the country when the verdict is eventually announced in this case. While I don't believe that these are likely to come to Texas, I suppose it is a possibility. But something to consider that is a huge difference between 1992 and now is that many states, including my own, did not allow concealed carry back then but they do now. So I am curious what effect that might have on rioters. I would suspect most riots would be in California, where unfortunately most of the big cities do not allow concealed carry.

I'm curious if anyone else will be taking specific precautions to protect themselves and their families in the event of a riot?
    None. 1) Riots are irrational acts, so thought to the gun issue as a deterrent won't be involved. 2) The easiest way to
    get your backside in deep doo would be to put yourself where a riot is happening and then use a gun to either promote the riot
    or pretend that you had to defend yourself. It won't fly either way.

3) Posts like this are just pot stirring by people with active imaginations.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    It doesn't have to be a race riot. There are many other circumstances that could bring hordes of angry people to your front door looking for free stuff, or intercepting you on your way home.

Will I take specific precautions in case of a race riot? No.

Do I take precautions in general for any event? Yup.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    None differently than I am doing now.

I bought a Magnum container of Sabre spray (in case of mob scenes while driving) along with a back-up keychain canister of Sabre Red for the car (the latter in case I forget to pocket my carry-along). I always keep a round chambered & bought +1 extensions for all of my EDC mags (I carry two spares when out-&-about), & keep a loaded back-up mag along with my G17 at home.

As I was putting my extra mags in the safe after my recent range trip, I started thinking about whether I should pre-load my extra spares with ball ammo for those special occasions...or at least to be one step ahead for the next range day. The extra mags seem almost lonely without ammo, so I'll likely do that in the coming days.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    None. 1) Riots are irrational acts, so thought to the gun issue as a deterrent won't be involved. 2) The easiest way to
    get your backside in deep doo would be to put yourself where a riot is happening and then use a gun to either promote the riot

++ 1
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Don't live or work in an area where the population might riot.
    It is standard self protection protocol, avoid and evade or counter.
    In a riot you will be overwhelmed if you become a target, escape is your only real option.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

1.) Agreed.

2.) I don't think the OP was saying he was advocating GOING where the riot was, but you can't help it if the riot comes to you.

3.) Tell that to the families of the people killed in the 1992 riots. We carry guns in the unlikely event of having to use them, so why shouldn't we consider other unlikely scenarios??
    beararms, Sledge, RichB70 and 2 others like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I see not just white/black, but all other races thrown in as well. Remember Rodney King? Some of the biggest flareups were in Korean neighborhoods.

And you don't believe they'll come to your area? You're an optimist. DFW is ripe, though Houston/SA might be hit harder.

Had family members in vicinity of Rodney King riots. No one got to their neighborhood, and they stayed put, ready to defend if necessary.

"Best defense, not be there." - Mr Miyagi

Second best defense - prepare to not have to be there. I'm no doomsday prepper, but we're already set with all we need to hang out a week or more without going into town, and my goal is a full month. Biggest hamper to this isn't food, but enough fuel to run the generator to run the well pump. The hooch is far from pop centers and one way in, one way out unless they want to go through some thick woods.

If we're in town when the balloon goes up, hopefully SA tells me things are going bad and we can get out quick. The flashmob thing worries me a bit, though.

Worst case for me is that I'm in Boston (don't have MA permit yet) with the family and it goes to hell. There are a few Irish and Italian establishments that I think would be pretty safe, though. One of the folks might even be willing to lend me something to help defend the premises with. Given my choice, I'd run into an Italian restaurant in the North End, better food if we're holed up for a while.
    Firearm.Fan.Girl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    2.) I don't think the OP was saying he was advocating GOING where the riot was, but you can't help it if the riot comes to you.
    Thank you.. yes, you are correct. You can never predict where you will be when something like that starts. I might be at home, or I might be out shopping. Who knows. Ask that white truck driver that was pulled from his vehicle and beaten to a pulp when the LA riots started. I don't think he would have been driving through there had he known it was going to start.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

I don't think the Idea of concealed carry won’t matter when people riot. It is more to the Idea that they can destroy and hurt people without recourse of prosecution. History has taught us that the poverty stricken parts of towns have nothing to lose.

A lot of young people don’t remember the race riots of the 60’s… Newark N.J, Chicago, IL. Then there was the Rodney king garbage and the destruction of LA, add New Orleans to the list because they took away the rights of gun owners. Now we will most likely have one in FL and possibly other places.

The SYG laws will make a difference this time; where in LA we seen business owners get arrested because they tried to protect their shops from looters. Texas has a law that says you can’t disarm the population

Will they enact marshal law; that is yet to be seen? The problem with these riots they hurt themselves by burning their own neighborhoods. When that happen no one goes back in to rebuild; why should they?

So the answer to your question is the SYG law will make a big difference when the riots happen because for once people will be able to fight back instead of running away

VIP Member
    Only change I'll make is the gun I carry everyday. While I currently carry a 6+1 .45 with no spare magazine on work days, for a while I'll carry a 14+1 9mm and a spare magazine. At home things won't change. My 12ga pump with 00 buck shot will be the go to gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I think I'll change the horn on my truck to sound like gun fire! That should help me clear a path to safe haven
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

It has been discussed in our family. We are in a small town, so the chances of that here are slim to none, but my son in law works daily in the Metro inner city. Our advice to him is if he sees a large crowd coming toward him....beat feet outta there. My daughter also reviewed his insurance policies (not to be morbid, but one has to prepare when there are children to be raised). He is from Belgium and is somewhat naive. He thinks that as long as he has "peace" and "goodwill" in his heart, he is safe. That is what got him several broken ribs when a drunk Amish teen kicked him in the chest when he tried to "help" him.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links