What really happened? Man shoots self, wife, during gun safety class

This is a discussion on What really happened? Man shoots self, wife, during gun safety class within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; He was removing the slide... pulled the trigger (Glock)... BANG.. hole in left hand... fast food... dog house... sales glock to afford divorce attorney....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: What really happened? Man shoots self, wife, during gun safety class

He was removing the slide... pulled the trigger (Glock)... BANG.. hole in left hand... fast food... dog house... sales glock to afford divorce attorney.
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

2. Remove Ads

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Inexperienced students are supposed to be idiots, hence the basic pistol/safety class. It all comes down to an instructor asleep in the switch.
    I agree that the instructor was asleep at the wheel.

But still everyone has seen enough tv to know what guns do. Most people in that class were uneducated about basic pistol/safety but they didn't shoot anyone. This guy had a loaded gun and he was messing with it in some way and pulled the trigger. The gun didn't go off by itself. Hence he is not uneducated/inexperienced but rather he is an idiot for messing with the gun in class.

At least he had enough sense to realize that he needed the safety class in the first place.
    I would think the instructor would have determined the status of everyone's firearm as soon as the class started and laid down some ground rules.
    Crashoften likes this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    What were they doing sitting in a classroom with a loaded gun anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I agree that the instructor was asleep at the wheel.

But still everyone has seen enough tv to know what guns do. Most people in that class were uneducated about basic pistol/safety but they didn't shoot anyone. This guy had a loaded gun and he was messing with it in some way and pulled the trigger. The gun didn't go off by itself. Hence he is not uneducated/inexperienced but rather he is an idiot for messing with the gun in class.

Every gun related class I have ever taken, "There is no ammunition allowed in the room".
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Every gun related class I have ever taken, "There is no ammunition allowed in the room".
    No Live ammunition. The components are there in class to show how a cartridge goes together..The shooter is a full blown idiot...
    Last edited by Harryball; April 26th, 2012 at 02:33 PM.

You people are blaming the instructor without any info. How do know the shooter wasn't loading the gun and playing with it. I know they always say no ammo but maybe the guy hid it. Ever teach a class and notice someone never listens? I agree the shooter was an idiot.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

He probably had the gun loaded and concealed. After all he had invited someone, a "gun guy" over for the lesson in his house and he was probably nervous and wanted to be armed in case the instructor was somehow a phoney craigslist killer.

The instructor probably emphasized at the beginning no live ammo for safety reasons. Probably a few times.

When the instructor went to hit the head the guy got nervous about having the loaded concealed gun and took it out, intent to clear it before the instructor came back. He is a new gun owner, the spring is stiff, he tried to push the slide back from the muzzle rather than pull, and probably it slipped, pinched his finger, he stiffened, trigger finger found trigger, and wham.

Instructor probably did everything correct except bring a wand from the local TSA to make sure the guy wasn't lying.

Do I make detective?
    BkCo1 and msgt/ret like this.
    Posts are for entertainment only. I have no training, database, background, knowledge of law, skills, or conviction of belief that anything I post is safe or relevant for your situation and bear no responsibility for any actions or events related to your interpretation of any of my post(s).

1984, Probably what happened.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I think the shooter was probably lecturing the wife about how, absent the instructor, he is the only one in the room qualified to handle the Glock.
    jonconsiglio and ep1953 like this.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

OK, at the invitation to let my imagination run wild, the man, in an attempt to murder his wife and make it look like an accident, shot himself in the hand. However, his aim was off and the round struck his wife in the leg. Right now, the incident is being ruled an accident but authorities are continuing the investigation.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    I think the shooter was probably lecturing the wife about how, absent the instructor, he is the only one in the room qualified to handle the Glock.
    Right! "I'm the only one in this room professional enough to handle this Glock forty"
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Right! "I'm the only one in this room professional enough to handle this Glock forty"

I know it's somewhat off topic but whatever happened to that guy anyway?

I know it's somewhat off topic but whatever happened to that guy anyway?
    You mean the dea glock 40 guy?

Do you even have to ask?

He sued, of course!
    Posts are for entertainment only. I have no training, database, background, knowledge of law, skills, or conviction of belief that anything I post is safe or relevant for your situation and bear no responsibility for any actions or events related to your interpretation of any of my post(s).

VIP Member
    I'm teaching the Basic Pistol course tomorrow, and this incident will be part of the curriculum. If any of the rules of safe gun handling, or the NRA policy regarding live ammo in the classroom had been observed, it would not have happened.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links