What really happened? Man shoots self, wife, during gun safety class

This is a discussion on What really happened? Man shoots self, wife, during gun safety class within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; All I know is that this guy's wife will make him regret missing his own skull, for ever and ever....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: What really happened? Man shoots self, wife, during gun safety class

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    All I know is that this guy's wife will make him regret missing his own skull, for ever and ever.
    ducatirider likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Yup, if your going to shoot your wife you better not just wing her.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    What really happened, he violated every rule of safe gun handling.
    Well in his defense, he may have had a good backstop beyond his hand and his wife, but yeah, the guy is an idiot! I don't think I can blame the instructor because even if he hadn't told them the 4 rules of gun safety yet, the guy still should not have touched a gun or pointed it at himself or his wife. There used to be something known as common sense, but it seems to have disappeared in this world.

Thinking about it a lttle more, IF the gun that as fired was brought into the room loaded, or the instructor told the guy to load the gun while he stepped out of the room for something than some of the blame falls on the instructor. He should have at least told the class to never handle a gun until told to do so.

With the small amount of informatin it's hard to say what happened.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm teaching the Basic Pistol course tomorrow, and this incident will be part of the curriculum. If any of the rules of safe gun handling, or the NRA policy regarding live ammo in the classroom had been observed, it would not have happened.
    My instructor had us load and unload both a revolver and a semi-automatic pistol and then pull the trigger on them. But he had us use Snap Caps when doing so.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    My instructor had us load and unload both a revolver and a semi-automatic pistol and then pull the trigger on them. But he had us use Snap Caps when doing so.
    I hope he also made you point the gun in a safe direction before pulling the trigger. I don't care if I personally put the snap caps in the gun, I would never point it at my own hand or at my wife!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    I hope he also made you point the gun in a safe direction before pulling the trigger. I don't care if I personally put the snap caps in the gun, I would never point it at my own hand or at my wife!
    Yep, but there were a few people who swept others and that was one of the good things about having the snap caps, is that he was able to correct them (all were embarrassed when they realized what they had done) but doing so safely. Better to get the practice with the people with no real ammo especially those who have not shot much as they are more likely to not be in that habit yet.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

During NRA class there is a no ammo in room policy and all guns must be checked when people return to the room after everyone has left.

However, in my CHL classes I keep my gun loaded on my side. It stays in my holster. I also have ammo in the room, but not in any firearm during the class.

None of that makes any difference however. Just like the DEA agent video, the guy who shot himself and his wife had to break several rules for it to occur.

1. Had they not put their finger on and pulled the trigger all would be fine.
    2. Had they not pointed to gun at something they weren't willing to destroy they would be fine.
    3. Had they kept the firearm unloaded until ready to use they would have been fine.

Pick one and eliminate just one and no one would have gotten hurt.

Now what do I think happened. I think the guy was either looking over the gun or attempting to break down the gun in front of him and pulled the trigger.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

In the CCW class I took we not only could not bring ammo into the classroom. But also had to enter the room showing all our weapons slide locked open, with a clear chamber. This wouldn't stop someone who was sneaking ammo but it's a good start. I agree with above check off any one rule out of the three and
    this wouldn't have happened.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links