Door Pounding - Page 2

Door Pounding

This is a discussion on Door Pounding within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live on a rural State Highway. I have friends drop in, and often sell vehicles and large items out front. Dog usually lets me ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Door Pounding

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I live on a rural State Highway. I have friends drop in, and often sell vehicles and large items out front. Dog usually lets me know someone is here before anyone reaches the door. Not answering the the door is not an option, and I have had a couple of late evening knocks by people with car trouble. I was taught that helping strangers is something that decent people do. I also have one in the pipe when I look thru the glass in the door. I have a grand-brat, so when she is here the weapon is either on me, or locked up. Nice to have an LCP for those occasions as a .45 would lead to questioning by a 7 year old. When she is not here, the big one is easy to reach next to where I am. I am not paranoid, but I am prepared.
    Last edited by Arborigine; April 29th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.

deleted.............
    Last edited by 1911srule; April 30th, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

My late wife at the time with 3 small children had a lost person looking for directions. We lived in the middle of nowhere. We had moved to the country from a gated community (to be safer (another story)). She opened the door and a "crazy woman" very confused asked all sorts of "crazy questions". She did leave after wondering a bit, but we had to have the we are not in Kansas anymore chat. Scared me to death when I heard about it

I definitely wouldn't answer the door at night unarmed. I'd probably have a tactical light with me too. And considering that I know all my neighbors quite well, if it was someone I didn't recognize, I'd probably call 911.

I'd tell my girl to call 911, then I'd grab a gun for her and one for me and wait for the County Mounties.

No reason for me to open the door for someone I don't know.

I personally wouldn't give the guy warning that I'd called the police unless he was actively trying to break in. I wouldn't fire until he had broken into my house. (Even then, Maryland the way it is, I'd probably just try to run out of the house. If he pursued, then I'd light him up.)

VIP Member
    Like I said before, I'm answering the door:
    Police seek help identifying naked corpse | The Columbus Dispatch
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm a lot more cold than the average person I guess -- I think there is just a lot more risk to me than there is chance of helping someone.

I bet there are FAR more cases of violent people breaking in than there are cases of the innocent seeking help. I also wonder is the guy in the link you posted was high on some kind of drug. The kind of drug that would mean that I let a violent and irrational person into my home.

My door stays closed. More power to you for trying to help.

I feel for the guy, but my life and my families life comes first. Not saying I would never open the door but not until I was certain I could control the situation. At the least I would tell the guy to stay put because im going to call for help.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatirider View Post
    I'm a lot more cold than the average person I guess -- I think there is just a lot more risk to me than there is chance of helping someone.

I bet there are FAR more cases of violent people breaking in than there are cases of the innocent seeking help. I also wonder is the guy in the link you posted was high on some kind of drug. The kind of drug that would mean that I let a violent and irrational person into my home.

My door stays closed. More power to you for trying to help.
    I should probably provide some follow-up:
    Mother mourns for mentally ill son whose naked body found in shed | The Columbus Dispatch
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

So the home owner was smart not to let him in. It is sad because the guy was mentally ill, but with the disorders he was diagnosed with he could have been extremely dangerous. Even if he was just bipolar it could be very dangerous depending the severity.

I'm with Mike. Although again at 3 am I'd call 911 first because there just is not too much I can imagine that would not involve them.

Too bad no one called 911 when the guy was knocking. Could have saved him.

This family was lucky I guess that they were in Iowa, which had a duty to retreat then, when their girl acted out her home invasion.

Averie Carrion, 4, battles snow to find help for mother and brother after crash | Mail Online
    Posts are for entertainment only. I have no training, database, background, knowledge of law, skills, or conviction of belief that anything I post is safe or relevant for your situation and bear no responsibility for any actions or events related to your interpretation of any of my post(s).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links