Door Pounding

Door Pounding

This is a discussion on Door Pounding within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone I live in a nice neighborhood in a small Mississippi town. Last night my neighbor was awoken to someone beating on their door ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Door Pounding

Door Pounding

Hey everyone I live in a nice neighborhood in a small Mississippi town. Last night my neighbor was awoken to someone beating on their door with both hands. Her husband travels, but happened to be home. He didn't wake up initially, but she woke him up and he went to see what was going on. He said there was a 6 ft tall black male dressed all in black and beating on the door with both hands. He screamed at him to go away that he was at the wrong house through the door. The doors in this neighborhood are all double and wooden with most of them being glass in the middle. The man didn't initially leave until he called 911 in front of him and told him the cops were on the way. The police arrived 10 minutes after the phone call (the neighborhood is on the outskirts of the city limits). They told my neighbor that this is a new ploy that is being used. If nobody comes to the door then they break in. If someone comes and opens the door then they push their way in.

Tactically my neighbor handled this all wrong.

I am interested in what you would do in this scenario?
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

Why was calling 911 and not letting the man into his house considered tactically wrong? Or just the timing? At 3 am I guess I would have started with the 911 call because there is nothing much I am going to do for anyone at that hour that should not involve the police/fire/rescue.

Ture story- once one of our neighbors' fan kicked up on in a chilly 3am morning and he awoke to the smell of rotten eggs. He tried this ploy of getting his infant and two toddlers and wife the heck out of his house ASAP (in their pj's) without doing ANYTHING that might set off the gas (read: no phone calls, no heads up, no getting the cell phone off the charger), and beat it over to the nearest neighbors house.

Rather identical description to the person you are describing I might add.

Not sure the homeowner could see the wife and kids getting frostbite behind this fellow.

Not even sure the homeowner recognized him at first when he was pounding on the door for help. The guy probably sounded crazy too.

Fortunately the homeowner used the same tactics your neighbor did and everyone ended up with the same number of bodily orifices they started with.

Good story to keep in mind for these sort of scenarios before filling up on all the bad stuff.
    Posts are for entertainment only. I have no training, database, background, knowledge of law, skills, or conviction of belief that anything I post is safe or relevant for your situation and bear no responsibility for any actions or events related to your interpretation of any of my post(s).

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Another late night door pounding incident. Humm, I'm gonna have to have an updated job briefing with my dogs just to make sure they're up to speed on the latest craze.
    oneshot, Elk Hunter, RMS and 2 others like this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    I answer the door.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I respectively disagree, I think all that he did were the right things. He did respond "through" the door to let the "banger" know someone is home & aware of his existence, he did NOT open the door, & he called 911.

The only thing left for him to do after all that (if so equipped), & what I would've done, have the wife take over the 911 call secured in the back with her gun, & take position behind cover with a defense weapon (with light) trained on the front door, lights off on the inside, outside lights on, ready & waiting should the door be kicked in before the cops arrive.

Since it was pure luck the husband happened to be home this time, but not likely the next time due to his travels, the wife needs to be equipped to defend self, family & home during his absence should this happen again. What would the wife have done this time had the hubby been out of town? Is she prepared? Do they have kids ... etc.?

As we all know, "nice neighborhoods" are not immune ... to the contrary ... that's where the good stuff is.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

I would grab my gun, call 911, and yell out that the police are on the way. I would be in a tactical position with cover in case an intrusion was made. When the dispatcher confirmed the police arrived, I would put away my gun and answer when given the clear.

there isn't much you can do but what he did! hand gun in hand and answer the door with it locked.

try on of these

Mace 80115 Big Jammer Door Brace - Door Stop Provides Security - Smarthome

VIP Member
    Alright I bite,,,,

He should have armed himself heavily, pointed weapon(s) at door, and had the Mrs. open it????

I think he did the correct thing under the circumstances, and will trust they have the smarts to get a plan together for his wife & kids if any, for when he is out of town.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Alright I bite,,,,

He should have armed himself heavily, pointed weapon(s) at door, and had the Mrs. open it????

I think he did the correct thing under the circumstances, and will trust they have the smarts to get a plan together for his wife & kids if any, for when he is out of town.
    I will call before I come over.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

He did fine. Any encounter you survive by definition means that you most likely did the right thing. Then after you do a self critique and ask others what could have been done better. There are many folks here who I respect and have had RL situations and in each one (myself included) either mistakes were made or things could have been done better.

VIP Member
    Was he armed when he went to the door? If not, that is the only thing I see he did wrong.
    CarolinaSig and phreddy like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

They do have children and he was NOT armed when he went to the door.

The tactical error in my opinion was that he was not armed. Also I would have turned over duty to call 911 to my wife while she moved the children to a protected location while also armed.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

Should have been armed when he went to the door.

Should stand to side of door so can not be shoot thru the door

Other than that did ok.

As for neighbor needing help, if I am the neighbor in need of help I will yell out it is me state name and state problem, so my neighbor knows who I am and what is going on.

With my house design there are windows directly to each side of my front door. This could be a benefit if I want to see what is going on outside, but it also allows the BG full view of me as im walking toward the door. Guess I need to come up with a plan for this. Might be safer for me not to answer or acknowledge them, and if it is a BG that busts in then I can greet him with his door prize. Shooting someone is the last thing I want to do but that sounds like the safest option.

If he had only opened the door wearing a CCW sash and badge this all could have been avoided.
    ducatirider, skeet and smolck like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links