Defensive Carry banner

Call to police last night

3K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  aworldexport 
#1 ·
I was in the bathroom about 3am this morning and could hear alot of arguing like a mob..least half dozen or more yelling and screaming but at first i thought maybe my neighbor was watching a movie.Sometimes i can hear their movies through the windows..anyhow i went to my back door and opened it up to listen if i could hear something live or find that it was indeed the neighbors tv. Nope it was a fight going on in an alley behind my house. A large group yelling and screaming. So i thought ok i best call the cops and tell them when all of a sudden this guy comes running into my backyard from the front street inbetween my house and the neighbors..I had the lights off, i figure no use silloetting myself with light. I have a 6ft high chicken wire fence that keeps my dog penned in during the day so i knew at this point the guy wasnt a direct threat because he would have to do alot to get over or through the fence should he want to come at me..I had my pistol in my hand but down at my side..i only had half my body visible..kinda peering out the door..but we both stood there froze..not sure if he saw me..he could have heard my squeeky door as i closed it halfway when he appeared..but it was like folks say tunnel vision all i saw was this guy nothing else..complete fix..after about 2 or 3 seconds..I didnt say anything or scream hey you! but then he takes off towards the back alley..my property back there is heavy brush and woods then the alley..i closed the door locked it and woke up my brother..i told him to dial 911 cause we had someone running around the back yard..meanwhile im covering the back door just in case this guy is bent on our house and wants to break in. My brother was like lets go out with the flashlights see if he is around i said no staying in the house gives us the advantage why give up tactical advantage by going out and roaming around..so thats what we did..we stayed put..what struck me was how much i was shaking..the adrenline was just pumping through me. I felt bad though because i was shaking..I'm wondering from folks who have had actually encounters what did you do if anything to keep from shaking..is there something you can do breathing things or is it more training or is it just how your body works and not much you can do? i feel kinda like a wuss..the next day my bro was like man u were shaking..so i guess my manhoods a little bruised haha..im prob being stupid about it..but is there anything i can do to do better about shaking when stuff happens..i guess what my brother didnt know or understand was that i was the one confronted with an intruder and had the guy taken movements towards me through the fense i would have to bring my pistol into play. Thankfully this guy took off continuing on into the night..We called police and i was thinking ok they will have squad cars pour into the neighborhood but one lone car came circled the block and that was it as far as i know..the 911 operator asked me if i wanted the police to make contact with me and i said yes because i wanted to know what the heck was going on..well they never came by..i was up till 5am keepin watch haha..finally i thought well im going to bed..Im sure i did the right things, things ive learned by reading alot of yalls posts..but the shaking part really bothers me..i hope i do better the next time in that regard..

See less See more
#28 ·
I have a couple cop and retired cop friends that swear that you can mitigate the effects of the adrenaline dump by by eating several tablespoons of sugar or drinking it in a glass of water. I never did any research into this but after hearing the same story from 3 guys I trust at different times and not together as a group I tend to think there may be something there.

#29 ·
from an adrenaline junkie

The skydiving option was a good one it is one of the biggest rushes you will ever get without actually thinking you will die....
I have found that as an after the fact helper for the shakes sugar does work.... glucose tabs (walgreens, usually with the diabetic paraphernalia)
or a candy bar will usually calm you down a bit...

#30 ·
The skydiving option was a good one it is one of the biggest rushes you will ever get without actually thinking you will die....
I have found that as an after the fact helper for the shakes sugar does work.... glucose tabs (walgreens, usually with the diabetic paraphernalia)
or a candy bar will usually calm you down a bit...
Weird. I guess our ancestors got a good meal after the adrenaline rush of hunting something down, so food calms?

I suppose this would also explain why people are so tired after eating -- energy devoted to digestion because we've already overcome our kill.

I'd never heard this before, seems interesting. MythBusters anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.