Defensive Carry banner

Call to police last night

3K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  aworldexport 
#1 ·
I was in the bathroom about 3am this morning and could hear alot of arguing like a mob..least half dozen or more yelling and screaming but at first i thought maybe my neighbor was watching a movie.Sometimes i can hear their movies through the windows..anyhow i went to my back door and opened it up to listen if i could hear something live or find that it was indeed the neighbors tv. Nope it was a fight going on in an alley behind my house. A large group yelling and screaming. So i thought ok i best call the cops and tell them when all of a sudden this guy comes running into my backyard from the front street inbetween my house and the neighbors..I had the lights off, i figure no use silloetting myself with light. I have a 6ft high chicken wire fence that keeps my dog penned in during the day so i knew at this point the guy wasnt a direct threat because he would have to do alot to get over or through the fence should he want to come at me..I had my pistol in my hand but down at my side..i only had half my body visible..kinda peering out the door..but we both stood there froze..not sure if he saw me..he could have heard my squeeky door as i closed it halfway when he appeared..but it was like folks say tunnel vision all i saw was this guy nothing else..complete fix..after about 2 or 3 seconds..I didnt say anything or scream hey you! but then he takes off towards the back alley..my property back there is heavy brush and woods then the alley..i closed the door locked it and woke up my brother..i told him to dial 911 cause we had someone running around the back yard..meanwhile im covering the back door just in case this guy is bent on our house and wants to break in. My brother was like lets go out with the flashlights see if he is around i said no staying in the house gives us the advantage why give up tactical advantage by going out and roaming around..so thats what we did..we stayed put..what struck me was how much i was shaking..the adrenline was just pumping through me. I felt bad though because i was shaking..I'm wondering from folks who have had actually encounters what did you do if anything to keep from shaking..is there something you can do breathing things or is it more training or is it just how your body works and not much you can do? i feel kinda like a wuss..the next day my bro was like man u were shaking..so i guess my manhoods a little bruised haha..im prob being stupid about it..but is there anything i can do to do better about shaking when stuff happens..i guess what my brother didnt know or understand was that i was the one confronted with an intruder and had the guy taken movements towards me through the fense i would have to bring my pistol into play. Thankfully this guy took off continuing on into the night..We called police and i was thinking ok they will have squad cars pour into the neighborhood but one lone car came circled the block and that was it as far as i know..the 911 operator asked me if i wanted the police to make contact with me and i said yes because i wanted to know what the heck was going on..well they never came by..i was up till 5am keepin watch haha..finally i thought well im going to bed..Im sure i did the right things, things ive learned by reading alot of yalls posts..but the shaking part really bothers me..i hope i do better the next time in that regard..

See less See more
#4 ·
I think most anyone would be shaking, be glad IMHO you made a good tactical decision by staying in the house and calling police

Reactions: tkruf
#8 ·
You are normal.

Your reaction to adrenaline is not universal but very common. Each person has their own quirks but many things are similar.
You never know also if repeated exposure to danger will make it better, worse or no change.

I was know in my unit as a 'cool customer' in combat I did not flinch or panic. To my perspective, it was like I was watching in the third person... it never occurred to me that I was in danger. Afterwards when the reality hit me I would vibrate I shook so much. Another guy was similar but he would puke his guts out after any engagement. We would just exchange the 'you ok now' fist bump and move on. There is no shame in any such reaction.

Keep safe.

#9 ·
haha i will use seperate paragraphs next time. Sorry bout that. I spend way to much time in chat where all rules of grammar go out the window haha.

It is weird because i wasn't terrified. In my mind i wasnt freaking out but somehow my body got the freakout message.haha..guess im looking for ways my mind can tell my body to maintain itself haha...I felt calm cool and collected when it was happening..he was on the otherside of the fence i was up some stairs and only peeking half way out the door.. i had my pistol and i could lock the door way before hed get to it..then its shooting whomever comes breaking through the door..but i just find it strange the mind and body can work opposed at times...haha...

I reckon i will work better on breathing properly.Plus i want to take more training courses. I took my first all day training class last month and it was a good workout with a bit of adrenline flowin..

The adivice get into 20 fights haha..i hear ya haha...i reckon additional training will help get me more and more into a better mind set..

I wish i could retire and just shoot all day long with naps in between haha..but work keeps me busy..I guess every incident you can learn from is just more equiptment in your self defense kit. Appreciate the comments..

#31 ·
haha i will use seperate paragraphs next time. Sorry bout that. I spend way to much time in chat where all rules of grammar go out the window haha.
It is weird because i wasn't terrified. In my mind i wasnt freaking out but somehow my body got the freakout message.haha..guess im looking for ways my mind can tell my body to maintain itself haha...I felt calm cool and collected when it was happening..he was on the otherside of the fence i was up some stairs and only peeking half way out the door.. i had my pistol and i could lock the door way before hed get to it..then its shooting whomever comes breaking through the door..but i just find it strange the mind and body can work opposed at times...haha...

I reckon i will work better on breathing properly.Plus i want to take more training courses. I took my first all day training class last month and it was a good workout with a bit of adrenline flowin..

The adivice get into 20 fights haha..i hear ya haha...i reckon additional training will help get me more and more into a better mind set..

I wish i could retire and just shoot all day long with naps in between haha..but work keeps me busy..I guess every incident you can learn from is just more equiptment in your self defense kit. Appreciate the comments..
I would have liked to understand the story, but I couldn't read the whole scenario as I couldn't get past the wall o' text, misspellings, and all the "haha..." stuff. If you were to tell me this story to my face, would you toss in "haha" at the end of every sentence or phrase? If you spend a lot of time on chat boards where others write this way as you claim, I would humbly suggest some new venues.

If you're old enough to carry a firearm, you're old enough to communicate like an adult. I am not trying to be a grammar Nazi, but this type of post makes it impossible for many of us to make sense of the story.

Reactions: MleeC
#11 ·
yeah u are right..i didnt think of that..it was after i got off the phone talking to the police, time had elapsed and it wasnt likley this person was interested in my house but was passing through my yard..and just part of the arguement out back in the alley..hmmm..hey good point..appreciate that...

#12 ·
Glad that there was no problem for you, directly.
Next adrenaline rush...focus...deep breaths...try to blow out more than you take in...it helps.

#13 ·
Classic post event reaction. Some people do nothing, some shake, some throwup so hard you'd think they are going to loose their toenails.

Sounds like you did fine and you're smarter than your brother.

#14 ·
I don't agree with some comments.... "shaking" is not necessarily "normal" at all. I've never had it occur, and been in a lot of things in life and adrenaline dumps. I know many others it's never occurred to. However, I've seen people in 'situations' react in all types of ways.

#16 ·
When I was an LEO after a stressful cal,I would be sitting in my car doing a report when my left leg would start shaking like "thumper the rabbit" I would literally have to grab it to make it stop,then I was ok,adrenaline is some knarly stuff

#17 ·
Shaking doesn't mean anything. It is the body giving off a large amount of adrenaline. I've had many situations where I was ready to fight and my legs would not stop shaking. It is not something you "get used to" or because of fear or anything like that it is just the body getting ready for whatever might happen, adrenaline is a crazy thing...

PS: Honestly if you were shaking from it and your brother was not, you were more prepared than he was :)

Reactions: Spade115
#18 ·
Go skydiving a few times. Nothing like looking at the ground coming at you at 120 mph.

Two years ago a bunch of friends went to Vegas for a turning 40 B-day. We went skydiving. Once we landed of my buddies was shaking leaf in the wind and sweating. He did not know why. Explained to him it was Pure adrenaline dump. It was like junkie looking for a fix.

#19 ·
I have experienced some massive adrenaline dumps in my day (I've calmed down substantially as I've gotten older...)

Anywho, I found that I was able to lessen the effect of a stress-response simply by learning to expect it, and by training around it.

For example, I experience really bad tunnel vision after prolonged high-speed motorcycle racing. Not much I can do about my body's response, but now I go out of my way to look all around me when I ride. (Once I came about 6 inches from turning into another rider at about 90 MPH at Summit Point Raceway.)

Same way for the shakes -- now whenever I go shooting I do about 50 pushups before I do my drills. I've gotten used to manipulating my weapon with my fine motor skill shot to hell.

The biggest effect for me is the sensation of being weak, when in reality the adrenaline has made me stronger. I once totally ate it coming out of a turn (started to rain on lap 10 of a 12 round track-session, not even a race, just open track). Apparently there was some oil because I low-sided into the stones. I thought I was too weak to even stand, but I was able to lift up my bike with no effort and get out of the skid zone.

In closing -- Good job to the OP for not intervening. There wasn't anything to gain by trying to make contact with the guy. Discretion is the better part of not ending up in the hospital.

#20 ·
Ask yourself four questions (in this order):

Are your loved ones alive and unhurt?
Are you alive?
Did you learn something?
Are you unhurt?

If your answers are "yes" to all four, congratulations... you won.

If your answers are "yes" to the first three, congratulations... you won. It just hurts more.

If your answer to any of the first three are "no," you lost.

Sounds like you won.

#21 ·
Maybe this question should be a different thread, but since we are talking about adrenaline dumps, are there any
common medicines one might keep on hand to deal with this; e.g., lots of guys (older) take adrenaline blockers of
one sort or another either for BPH or hypertension.

#22 ·
Appreciate all the comments. Some good points. Sky diving-not a chance haha.

Ask yourself four questions (in this order):

Are your loved ones alive and unhurt?
Are you alive?
Did you learn something?
Are you unhurt?

If your answers are "yes" to all four, congratulations... you won.

If your answers are "yes" to the first three, congratulations... you won. It just hurts more.

If your answer to any of the first three are "no," you lost.

Sounds like you won.

Your right thanks for putting the whole event into perspective

#23 ·
Adrenaline can't be tamed that I know of but after years of feeling it and poorer conditioning, us older guys probably feel less effects.

If you've been deer hunting and saw a big buck it's called buck fever. Combine that with cold temps and you get a big shiver.

You did good, I am guessing your brother is younger and he felt safe with you. Had he been by himself he may have reacted differently.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
You can learn to control the adrenalin rush. People do it every day. The more you experience it, the better you control it. Well, most people do anyways.

Ask any hunter how they handle the adrenalin rush (buck fever as it is called) after years of hunting compared to when they began to hunt. I use the rush to help me take the animal before me now. I shake after the kill/potential kill, and not during the encounter now.

If it was not controllable, then force on force training would have zero value. It's that simple. FoF training is designed to help you control the adrenalin rush and act in the most suitable manner to deal with dangerous situations.

#25 ·
Good choice deciding to stay inside and alert.

Don't worry about the adrenaline dump-it happens.

Do an internet search on Tactical Breathing.

#26 ·
How to Use Tactical Breathing

Designed to use during intense situations, the tactical breathing technique helps your body to slow down and begin to control some of the involuntary responses that happen in a fight-or-flight situation. Soldiers use tactical breathing during combat, police officers may use it when they are in a gunfight and even a student can use it before taking an exam to steady his nerves. The technique involves slowing down your breathing through concentration.

Instructions

Take a deep breath in through your nose and hold it. Count to five slowly, holding your breath.

Let the air out of your lungs through your mouth slowly, to the count of five. It should be an evenly paced exhalation of breath, counting to five as you slowly exhale.

Hold your breath to the slow count of five, then repeat the process for a total of four times.

Great suggestion this is what i was thinking about..something i could use on the spot to at least mimimize the effects of an adrenline dump....appreciate it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.