Driving into mobs or crowds when threatened. - Page 2

Driving into mobs or crowds when threatened.

This is a discussion on Driving into mobs or crowds when threatened. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by farronwolf There are specific rules in Texas regarding pedestrians and how they are to move along or across roadways. Being a mob ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Driving into mobs or crowds when threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    There are specific rules in Texas regarding pedestrians and how they are to move along or across roadways. Being a mob in the middle of the street disrupting traffic isn't in the rules. Attacking or otherwise threatening drivers in their vehicles is not allowed either.

If you are in the mob and blocking someones attempt to flee that mob, you are guilty. Blowing the horn and letting them know you are coming through is plenty of warning. Don't do stupid things and you don't have to deal with the consequences, so stay away from mobs if you value your health.
    YUP......Just stay away from cancer and you don't have to worry about dying early!

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    That is a good question, I would think: lay on the horn and move slowly until your path is clear, then accelerate, if they start breaking your windows or shooting then you may have to step on it.
    YUP Again.... Once they put a couple rounds in your chest you are justified in driving over them

It would be a safe bet mobs can't read or write, so I wouldn't worry about them getting your license plate number. They don't have the ability to independently reason or express empathy. They ape those they are surrounded by. Even getting caught on video, I can't see a jury convicting anyone trying to escape a potentially deadly attack, less Kalifornia of course.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

It's one of those things you'd have to play by ear, but if the only way out was through the crowd I wouldn't hesitate to lay on the horn and start moving. Especially if my wife was with me.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

They may not be able to read or write, but rest assured the scumbags have their stolen....er...I mean legally obtained.... Iphones and are going to be videoing you for their viewing pleasure later, and that video will be turned over to the police later when poor innocent thug # 5 becomes your hood ornament.

Being caught in a flash mob is rare, but driving down a street and running into a huge crowd in the street playing street ball or just partying is not unusual in certain areas of Austin. If possible, see it ahead, back up and turn around rather than try to push through.

That said, if you are trapped and having bottles or rocks thrown or people are pounding on the windows trying to break them, I agree, blare the horn, hit the brights and plow forward slow at first. If they refuse to get out of the way or become more violent, start increasing speed. At that point there is not a jury in the world (and most prosecutors) that will not agree that you were immediately in fear of serious bodily injury or death if you did not begin to "use the car as a weapon." If you stop, you could die.

Sorry, but my life is not theirs to extinguish. My car I can repair. My body I will defend with the force I need to use.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

I think you would be called on to answer for your actions. There is a difference between hurting the guy trying to break in your window, and hitting the 50 people in front of you who may or may not wish you harm.

I think the legal ramifications would be impacted by the crowd itself. If we're talking Reginald Denny I'd say you're ok to run people over. If we're talking those Occupy idiots throwing bottles then I think you'd be in serious trouble when the media says you "cut down a young college student who was demonstrating peacefully to help the poor" or some such bull.
    mlr1m likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    The general consensus is if there are people causing trouble and you are with them you by association are just as guilty so we can assume that if someone in a mob is causing trouble and someone in the mob gets hurt from someone retreating to safety it would fall under the same ruling
    ^^^ I'm in this camp.

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and swims like a duck, you have to assume IT IS a duck.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    It's one of those things you'd have to play by ear, but if the only way out was through the crowd I wouldn't hesitate to lay on the horn and start moving. Especially if my wife was with me.
    I have thought this one over and I agree with you. If I fear for my safety and my family"s...they better move or my car will move them. Just because it is a car doesn't mean you have to let them attack you. A "mob" means you are severely out numbered. College student? I believe there are a few of them to fear too. Makes no difference to me. I am not going to ask for their Student Union card. That being said I would do anything to avoid such a area, but in this day and age...one can't always do that.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Better judged by 12 than carried by 6.

if I get a mob of rock throwing punks in front to my truck a reach down and put this in my 8 track player and step on the gas

I would have gone with the Video from Apocalypse Now myself. Now I'm going to have to look for some huge speakers to mount on my ride.

Michael
    barstoolguru likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    if I get a mob of rock throwing punks in front to my truck a reach down and put this in my 8 track player and step on the gas
    I'll see your "Ride of the Valkyries" and raise you an "O Fortuna at 180".
    Classical Music at 180 MPH (O Fortuna Carmina Burana) Piano/Cello - The Piano Guys - YouTube
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I would have gone with the Video from Apocalypse Now myself. Now I'm going to have to look for some huge speakers to mount on my ride.

Michael
    I couldn't find one that would fit in my 8 track player ; bad enough I had to tape over my copy "Tom Jones Delilah"....lol

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    It was one of the first posts, but I think still the best. I agree with Yoda.
    Walk softly ...

I don't think most are talking about hitting the group at 50 and accelerating. I think that you need to continue forward motion until you clear the group, after all they are called "bumpers" right. If things get worse and windows start shattering and people are grabbing then it is time to hit for distance and all bets are off. Like I said in another thread the only way I am stopping is if enough rioters err misguided souls get stuck under my truck to lift the wheels off the ground.

In a violent mob, it's either flight or fight. Most likely end up losing if staying put to fight.

Self preservation is stepping on the accelerator. I think all sense of civility is lost in a violent riot or mob. Slow moving is risky because your tires can be slashed by a small knife or punctured by a sharp screwdriver/icepick very easily.

Of 53 killed in the 1992 LA riots, 8 were killed by vehicles LA Riot Deaths

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links