Driving into mobs or crowds when threatened. - Page 3

Driving into mobs or crowds when threatened.

This is a discussion on Driving into mobs or crowds when threatened. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not stopping, that's for sure. If I don't have an alternate route/way out I'm reaching for the 4Lo lever and I will stomp on ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Driving into mobs or crowds when threatened.

I'm not stopping, that's for sure. If I don't have an alternate route/way out I'm reaching for the 4Lo lever and I will stomp on the gas if necessary.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I actually had to do something like this once. It was a small mob though. I was attacked while outside my vehicle & had to fight my way to get inside while I was being beaten with sticks & clubs. I made it back to my car; but my window was rolled down an an individual with a knife was trying to get at me. He had me i a headlock choke hold and I took off in order to prevent being cut or stabbed.

In the process I hit another person, through another one off my hood & drug him down the street. (both were badly injured) This was along time ago (before cell phones) & by the time I could get to a safe place to call LE, they had already made a report on me. I was arrested & charged with assault with intent. I went to court and had all of the combatants testify that I had started the fight.

Fortunately, they all had records for d&d, a&b and other violent crimes and my record was totally clean. I was also a LOT smaller than any of them. The judge took all of this into consideration and decided I didn't have a death wish. So, he ruled in my favor.

Later, they tried to sue me in civil court. But, this was stopped as well. All of this cost my family 1000's of dollars & two trips to court. The only thing I would do differently would be contact LE with my cell phone immediately after I'm out of the danger zone.

-

Slightly off-topic, but Tcox that is a VERY good example of why it's important for carriers to be the first to contact LE after a confrontation, whether it ends up with them shooting or not.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but Tcox that is a VERY good example of why it's important for carriers to be the first to contact LE after a confrontation, whether it ends up with them shooting or not.
    You're right. One thing I learned is once you're pegged as the BG it can be difficult to change anyone's mind. Thankfully, the arresting officer did side with me because he knew the other people. (His testimony actually helped my case in court.) But, he had to arrest me because they called first & wanted to press charges. (I couldn't do that because I had left the scene before the cops arrived.)

-

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I actually had to do something like this once. It was a small mob though. I was attacked while outside my vehicle & had to fight my way to get inside while I was being beaten with sticks & clubs. I made it back to my car; but my window was rolled down an an individual with a knife was trying to get at me. He had me i a headlock choke hold and I took off in order to prevent being cut or stabbed.

In the process I hit another person, through another one off my hood & drug him down the street. (both were badly injured) This was along time ago (before cell phones) & by the time I could get to a safe place to call LE, they had already made a report on me. I was arrested & charged with assault with intent. I went to court and had all of the combatants testify that I had started the fight.

Fortunately, they all had records for d&d, a&b and other violent crimes and my record was totally clean. I was also a LOT smaller than any of them. The judge took all of this into consideration and decided I didn't have a death wish. So, he ruled in my favor.

Later, they tried to sue me in civil court. But, this was stopped as well. All of this cost my family 1000's of dollars & two trips to court. The only thing I would do differently would be contact LE with my cell phone immediately after I'm out of the danger zone.

-
    Such is the sad state of society we live in today. Lose your life or your life savings and then some. The old heads I win, tails you lose syndrom.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post

-
    Seems ironic in that if you legally had a hi-cap gun and was able to take the active assailants out and survive, then the evidence would be there (knife, clubs) when LE arrives. Also, they wouldn't have been around anymore to sue you in civil court.

Quote Originally Posted by jasgo View Post
    Seems ironic in that if you legally had a hi-cap gun and was able to take the active assailants out and survive, then the evidence would be there (knife, clubs) when LE arrives. Also, they wouldn't have been around anymore to sue you in civil court.
    Even today I probably would still try to drive off instead of using a firearm. But, it's good to know I know have a CC & a cell phone JIC. So, hopefully I would be the one to contact LE. (Who's the 1st to call is still important.)

Remember this:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWqVIdq9NH8

I think that Id run or back over him in self defense. Dont think many would argue..........

Then again.. What would you do? The car is one thing, but could you draw and shoot him in self defense? "He had a weapon and I feared my life". Might work here too, especially since they were blocked in. Who wants to find out they didnt violate any laws but get beat up of killed.

Quote Originally Posted by woodekd View Post
    Remember this:

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWqVIdq9NH8

I think that Id run or back over him in self defense. Dont think many would argue..........

Then again.. What would you do? The car is one thing, but could you draw and shoot him in self defense? "He had a weapon and I feared my life". Might work here too, especially since they were blocked in. Who wants to find out they didnt violate any laws but get beat up of killed.
    I assure you that it won't be the person whose life or health is in danger. Trouble is that the person who will blame you is sitting safely in his Monday morning quarterback chair. We can only hope that he is not someone with the authority to charge you.

Michael

BTW, if you decide your life is threatened and you're justified in using your vehicle as a weapon, do as you would with any other weapon - execute violently. Get moving, keep moving, get moving faster. Doesn't take a mob too much time to roll a stopped or rolling car (I think there's a BBC video out there of that happening during the London riots), and an SUV or truck could be even easier than you think due to the high CG. Horn on, hammer down, passenger calling 911 and getting your side of the story on the tapes first.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Interesting situation (youtube video) and tough call for me. Obviously the people in the car were not armed, but it doesn't look like he
    is going after them either.

Me, I pull my gun.

Let him see it. Don't stick it out of the window or even near the window.

That probably ends the encounter.

Dial 911. Leave the phone on.

If brandishing the weapon doesn't end it and the attack starts injuring people, then there is a hard decision to make. If you shoot make sure he is attempting to enter the car or open the door.

Looks like a busy intersection with lots of other innocent people around. Not a good place to start firing off rounds. Particularly from a large caliber weapon.

Remember OODA
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I hate Illinois Nazis.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

This sort of thing has never happened to me but it did to my wife when we worked in Bogota. All three times she had kids or other women with her. Once a man tried to reach into the driver window at an intersection. I trained her well, she had a big can of mace and hosed him down then ran the red light. A second time a mob of teenagers tried to block our Blazer. She bounced one off a fender and the rest got out of the way. A third time a drunk tried to force her to stop with his car. She sideswiped him and tore off his bumper. Each time the embassy & then National Police said don't worry about it.
    Cherokee Slim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

Had this happen once.Driving thru a bad part of town,had to,I was told by my employer at the time to go pick up some materials at a business that was smack dab in the middle of where you normally would not go.As I was driving down the road,a group of low lifes linked arms and streched across the road.In the middle was a guy waiving both arms over his head to stop me.Now,knowing the part of town,and those that lived there,I know it was'nt to ask directions.I slowed to a crawl,just as I neered the guys linked together,blocking the road,I dropped that pickup into first gear and put the pedal to the metal.How they got out of the way I don't know,and don't care.Point is,they moved.Looking in my rear view as I sped buy,one of them throwing something in the drivers side window,hitting me in the face and really p---ing me off,I was just happy to have escaped with my life.Moral of the story,listen to your gut,it knows when its the real deal,I'm sure they were more ticked off than I was.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links