Driving into mobs or crowds when threatened.

This is a discussion on Driving into mobs or crowds when threatened. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In numerous threads we hear folks say how they would drive into and essentially over a mob who is threating them while they are in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Driving into mobs or crowds when threatened.

Driving into mobs or crowds when threatened.

In numerous threads we hear folks say how they would drive into and essentially over a mob who is threating them while they are in their vehicle. Does anyone know what the ramifications of that action might be? Would it be hard to claim self-defense as the person you run over and kill or maim might just be someone caught up in the crowd? At least I am sure that is what they or their survivors would claim.

Lets say you are surrounded by a mob some of which are throwing rocks and bottles at you. You fear for your life and proceed to drive through the crowd. You run over and kill someone who witnesses claim was only guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Has this happened and what was the result? Would this be looked at the same as say shooting at an attacker but hitting an innocent bystander?

Michael

2. Remove Ads

Good question, I'd bet there were some instances of that in the LA riots but I don't recall any specifics.

That's one of those choices you hope to never be faced with but your decision would be based on whether or not you wanted to be around after to find out what charges you may face.

That is a good question, I would think: lay on the horn and move slowly until your path is clear, then accelerate, if they start breaking your windows or shooting then you may have to step on it.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    That is a good question, I would think: lay on the horn and move slowly until your path is clear, then accelerate, if they start breaking your windows or shooting then you may have to step on it.
    'Not a lawyer, but Yoda's description here seems to represent a reasonable course of action to take that both warns people in your path, while allowing you to take a course of action to remove yourself from a dangerous situation.

Now... what if you're driving a steam roller?

The general consensus is if there are people causing trouble and you are with them you by association are just as guilty so we can assume that if someone in a mob is causing trouble and someone in the mob gets hurt from someone retreating to safety it would fall under the same ruling

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Better to hit the gas and go and defend your actions later than to be dragged from the car and end up beaten or worse.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    The general consensus is if there are people causing trouble and you are with them you by association are just as guilty so we can assume that if someone in a mob is causing trouble and someone in the mob gets hurt from someone retreating to safety it would fall under the same ruling

^I'm in this camp^^^^^^^^^

on this one.
    If some gaggle of goons and street urchins are trolling the streets in mob-like activity, I would sincerely doubt that "IF" you ran over somone, they would be some little old lady on her way home from Sunday school, or the Book of the Month Club monthly meeting.

If they are running with the pack, they are, as barstool said, guilty by being there in the midst.
    In other words, Dey get no sympatee from me mon.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

A car can be considered a deadly weapon = capable of inflicting death and can be used as a weapon, so if you would be justified in using a gun, using a car might be justified depending on circumstances, eg someone shooting at you while you are in your car.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    He who hesitates is lost. Only other option I can see is sitting there and waiting for quite possibly the end of your time on earth while over thinking a deadly situation.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by rickohio View Post
    A car can be considered a deadly weapon = capable of inflicting death and can be used as a weapon, so if you would be justified in using a gun, using a car might be justified depending on circumstances, eg someone shooting at you while you are in your car.
    I agree with this. However using a weapon against a particular individual is different than shooting multiple rounds into a large crowd hoping to hit a particular target. In effect that is what you would be doing with a vehicle.

Michael

There are specific rules in Texas regarding pedestrians and how they are to move along or across roadways. Being a mob in the middle of the street disrupting traffic isn't in the rules. Attacking or otherwise threatening drivers in their vehicles is not allowed either.

If you are in the mob and blocking someones attempt to flee that mob, you are guilty. Blowing the horn and letting them know you are coming through is plenty of warning. Don't do stupid things and you don't have to deal with the consequences, so stay away from mobs if you value your health.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I wonder what Reginald Deny would say? I have a pretty good idea.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Ugly: Over 30 People Beat Couple

Stay in your car, hit the gas and get out of Dodge!
    goldshellback likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

sgb
    See Post #3
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    There are specific rules in Texas regarding pedestrians and how they are to move along or across roadways. Being a mob in the middle of the street disrupting traffic isn't in the rules. Attacking or otherwise threatening drivers in their vehicles is not allowed either.

If you are in the mob and blocking someones attempt to flee that mob, you are guilty. Blowing the horn and letting them know you are coming through is plenty of warning. Don't do stupid things and you don't have to deal with the consequences, so stay away from mobs if you value your health.
    Doubt many rational thinking individuals would disagree with staying away from mobs. Its the mobs that catch you by surprise that we need to be concerned about. Saying to stay away doesn't help if the mob happens at a time an place you never considered.

Michael
    jace33 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links