What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ksholder My alarm would be going off and if the door is still open, the cops just have not gotten there yet. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What would you do?

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    My alarm would be going off and if the door is still open, the cops just have not gotten there yet. I would call 911 and wait. No way am I clearing my house by myself if I don't have to.
    Thank you ks for the only answer that any responsible person who values their life and that of anyone else in the car would make.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    If there is evidence of a break in, I would call the LEO and wait outside keeping an eye out on all exits.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    What if your wife/children/relatives could possibly be inside? Some of the answers saying you'll wait and call the cops are right but I hope everyone who said that is single. Maybe I just think farther ahead than most, but hypothetically if your loved one was hurt and is inside and you sit outside forever til the cops show up and they die, how would you feel knowing you could have done something? I'm all for safety but there are other things to take into consideration for these hypothetical questions, I value my wife's life more than mine, if I knew for a fact she was in a safe location obviously I would not go in.

(This is not for the people who live alone)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I would probably just go in as both my blond wife and teenage daughter are door, cupboard, and drawer challenged.
    It drives me crazy but it's just the way they are wired. I've often wondered what the world looks like through their eyes!
    Burns and phreddy like this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Hmm. Tough one for me. I have several family members that live on my street which have a key to my house. So I'd feel really dumb if I called the police over the door being open and it turned out to be my mom or something coming to get some milk or something. I'd most likely enter the house very quietly, slowly, cautiously, looking for any signs of a break-in. Its likely nobody would have heard me pull up in the car since my car is electric and completely silent. I'd listen for any talking to see if I heard any voices I did or didn't recognize. I'd most likely have gun in hand, with round chambered. I'd be very mindful to identify anyone as friend or foe before pulling the trigger.

Is it the smart thing to do? Probably not. But that's what I'd do. I know, because I've faced the situation a few times already. In each case there was a benign reason for the door being open and was very glad I did not call police.

It is also worth mentioning that I have security striker plates so it is unlikely somebody would kick in my door. So if it were open it either had the lock picked, somebody used a key, or it was opened from the inside. That would contribute greatly to my belief that it is likely no reason to assume a break-in. However, if there were definite signs of a break-in such as a broken window, then forget everything I just said. I'd call the police.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Guess you've got your answer Mxcmead.

All the Internet Commandos must be away from internet access in a non-disclosed location training in Krav-jitsu.

To the original question...

+1 on calling the Sheriff's Dept. and letting them take point.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I also have family that is door challenged, mostly too busy. If none of my family was supposed to be there, I would observe (look, listen for other signs from outside the house) and then make my decision. Just last weekend, I had to replace the bolt assembly on one of our doors because a spring came loose inside and the bolt would not allow the door to close normally.

Since my GSD travels with me about 90% of the time, I would release him into the house while I called 911. On the off event he isnt with me, he would probably already be attached to them.
    Burns likes this.

VIP Member
    Call the police and keep your distance. You can keep an eye on your house from a safe distance and let the police know if the invader has left and which way they went. I'm not walking into a possible shooting situation if I can avoid it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'd call the PoPo and wait.

There would be no rational reason how/why my door would be open other than forced entry. Since I am in zero danger, I would not put myself in danger.

Besides, in MD we're supposed to run and hide and let the Police take care of us -- this seems like the perfect time to abide by the official recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    What if your wife/children/relatives could possibly be inside? Some of the answers saying you'll wait and call the cops are right but I hope everyone who said that is single. Maybe I just think farther ahead than most, but hypothetically if your loved one was hurt and is inside and you sit outside forever til the cops show up and they die, how would you feel knowing you could have done something? I'm all for safety but there are other things to take into consideration for these hypothetical questions, I value my wife's life more than mine, if I knew for a fact she was in a safe location obviously I would not go in.

(This is not for the people who live alone)
    The OP set the stage for the scenario. We can add to it, and take away from it. We can also play the what if game all day with it.

To the OP, Ill call the PD and let them handle it.

Well, since I live alone, there's no reason for the front door to be ajar. I'd call the police and wait a safe distance away where I could still keep an eye on the house.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

If you know the premises are empty the answer is simple. Call 911 and let law enforcement deal with it that is what they get paid to do. If someone of yours is in the premises or you are not sure the answer is "there is no one right answer". It will be your call at that time.

NOTE: If you do call 911 and go in make sure you tell them you are armed. Most likely the dispatch will advise you not to go in. =Still your call be the consequences can be hazardous to your health as you could possibly be shot by an officer.

As someone mention earlier "clearing" the premise is an offensive move that takes special skills and can be more hazardous (to you and yours) then a self defense situation.

Someone once told me there are more dead heroes that live ones.

Here is hoping none of use have to make a decision to enter our premises due to someone possibly being inside that should not be.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links