What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Scenerio: you come home late one night from dinner and a movie. As you near your home you can see your front door is slightly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

Scenerio: you come home late one night from dinner and a movie. As you near your home you can see your front door is slightly open (break ins will probably be from the back door). Do you call the police and leave, as to get out of danger or do you investigate while the police are on the way? (I always have a side arm on me or in my car) just wondering what others would do in this situation. This isn't limited to a door, could be a smashed window or other evidence of a break in.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My alarm would be going off and if the door is still open, the cops just have not gotten there yet. I would call 911 and wait. No way am I clearing my house by myself if I don't have to.
    nerdyvirgin and RichB70 like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mxcmead View Post
    Scenerio: you come home late one night from dinner and a movie. As you near your home you can see your front door is slightly open (break ins will probably be from the back door). Do you call the police and leave, as to get out of danger or do you investigate while the police are on the way? (I always have a side arm on me or in my car) just wondering what others would do in this situation. This isn't limited to a door, could be a smashed window or other evidence of a break in.
    If me & my family aren't in danger I will do as I have done before with a similar scenario call the police. If I engage in this situation I believe I could easily be made into a vigilante or worse especially if there is a non-Caucasian suspect involved.
    Inspector71 and devenob like this.

call the cops and wait down the road where I can watch the house. The only time I want to clear a house is if I'm already in it when someone breaks in.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Assuming I'm not 45 minutes away from help (i.e., way out in the boonies), I'm calling 911, and driving down the street to observe from a distance. I'm a devout coward and there's no way I'm entering a house I suspect has been broken into. Front door ajar? Far more likely I'd be leaving the house without body parts.
    dukalmighty and RichB70 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'm parking in front and making a call to 911.
    They won't be exiting out the back...nowhere to go.
    They have to get through thick bushes next to a fence...the other side of the fence is a field of brush and picker shrubs (almost impossible to walk through).
    Yep, they're coming back out the front...I can wait!
    Spirit51 and Spade115 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

call the police, without a doubt. Maybe you pay in some pride but you are in a much better position either way.

Your house is broken into, some things are likely stolen, you have insurance, your insuance company wants a police report, you need to call the police regardless of bad ass you might be.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm parking in front and making a call to 911.
    They won't be exiting out the back...nowhere to go.
    They have to get through thick bushes next to a fence...the other side of the fence is a field of brush and picker shrubs (almost impossible to walk through).
    Yep, they're coming back out the front...I can wait!
    Since we wouldn't have any children with us.....just me and hubby both armed....I like your answer best. My dogs would be in the house and we would wait in front in our car for the LEOs to arrive.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

I'd go in. My roommates aren't so bright when it comes to making sure the door latches behind them when they come home. Front door slightly open isn't that out of the ordinary for me. If it turns out I was wrong, and someone is in there, they'd get to meet the business end of my Glock. If someone ever broke in from the back, I would probably let them leave with a beer or two because I would be so impressed since my back porch is about 30' off the ground. The only catch is they have to leave the way they came in.

Call 911 and wait in the driveway. I'd be worried about my dogs (no kids no wife) but I'm not going to try to clear my house on my own.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    I'd go in. My roommates aren't so bright when it comes to making sure the door latches behind them when they come home. Front door slightly open isn't that out of the ordinary for me. If it turns out I was wrong, and someone is in there, they'd get to meet the business end of my Glock. If someone ever broke in from the back, I would probably let them leave with a beer or two because I would be so impressed since my back porch is about 30' off the ground. The only catch is they have to leave the way they came in.
    I can see your point when living with others and an ajar door wouldn't be out of the ordinary,but assuming that if you have armed home invaders ,the variables involved as you enter the door are numerous and in all reality would leave you in a situation where you either comply or try to draw and fire against the drop possibly against more than 1 BG.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Don’t have a back door so will sit out front and call 911.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

What nobody is going to break out the shotgun or ar from the trunk and put their knife between their teeth and charge in?

In reality I did come home to an open back door once, at 1 A.M., called the cops and let them do their thing. No way any stuff is worth going in blind to a situation where the bg is camped out waiting. Most LEO's will tell you clearing a building is never done alone and has huge potential for a negative outcome even if well trained.

By the way it turned out the latch was sticking and did not pop out far enough to fully engage the strike plate.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I would go in unless I knew for a fact that all family was out of the house, I'm not going to wait 30 minutes for cops to arrive before I see if anyone was hurt inside or not when it is too late.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links