Interesting Scenario - Boxed in by 4 vehicles while driving in middle of nowhere

This is a discussion on Interesting Scenario - Boxed in by 4 vehicles while driving in middle of nowhere within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 10pm-4am are actually the worst times to be out....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Interesting Scenario - Boxed in by 4 vehicles while driving in middle of nowhere

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    10pm-4am are actually the worst times to be out.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burns View Post
    I said if I was in his same situation. Which to recap is: At a complete stop surrounded by 4 cars (ON THE HIGHWAY) throwing metal through the window. I don't know where you got the high speed gun battle from. Just sitting there would be completely foolish.
    Sorry for my reading comprehension, but I didn't recall Jose saying he stopped at any time. But blast away, if that is what you wanta do in that situation while surrounded by four vehicles. Monday morning quarterback I am not.
    mkh likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    I think the first mistake the driver made was to speed up and lose them ...
    I agree. The best thing to do is give a nice "no thanks" kind of wave and then let the other vehicle pass. If he slows down or starts to harass, call the police. If unable to call the police, try to find a large gas station or town to pull into.
    msgt/ret and Spirit51 like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I said if I was in his same situation. Which to recap is: At a complete stop surrounded by 4 cars (ON THE HIGHWAY) throwing metal through the window. I don't know where you got the high speed gun battle from. Just sitting there would be completely foolish.
    Are you saying you would stop? I re-read the story and did not see where it said they stopped. I did see where it said he tried to yell to them and they couldn't hear over the sound of the wind rushing by.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Sorry for my reading comprehension, but I didn't recall Jose saying he stopped at any time. But blast away, if that is what you wanta do in that situation while surrounded by four vehicles. Monday morning quarterback I am not.
    Video showed that they stopped, maybe that was the medias fault. Either way I would stop, not go faster. I've seen and been in my fair share of accidents. I'm curious as to what you would do in that situation, they're not just boxing you in, they're throwing metal breaking a window... Besides something doesn't add up, they wait for people, box them in, throw a piece of metal? Was that the big plan? Something else went on...
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Your most dangerous weapon in this scenario is the vehicle you're driving, not anything in a holster. A 4,000lb car traveling at highway speeds has about 0.5 MILLION lbs-ft of "muzzle energy." That even beats my .45ACP by a few hundred thousand.

The problem is numbers, because they're all driving similar weapons, and these folks are very blessed to have made it out alive.

Would I draw and shoot? I wasn't there, but I've gone 1v1 against a larger, more powerful vehicle [ended with me ramming him and then driving away as fast as I could], and count myself very blessed to have "won" with the VERY limited "offensive driving" training I had before this event. However, it required the use of both hands, both feet, both eyes, and pretty much 100% of my CPU capacity. Trying to draw, aim, and fire while doing that... well, I'm not sure I'm that good, and I think it would've had a high probability of me being like the FBI agent in Miami who spent the whole gunfight looking for his pistol that had gone under the seat.

My personal hope is that I'd be able to change directions, refuse to follow their funneling/driving cues, and either elude or buy enough time for the cavalry to arrive. If I end up out of options or "ammo" for the primary weapon, I'll work my way down to something smaller.

With an armed passenger, obviously there are some possible changes, but with her firing from a moving vehicle at a moving target, possibly through glass and/or metal, her fire is more likely to supress and distract the threat rather than neutralize it, again allowing me to build distance and time.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Your most dangerous weapon in this scenario is the vehicle you're driving, not anything in a holster. A 4,000lb car traveling at highway speeds has about 0.5 MILLION lbs-ft of "muzzle energy." That even beats my .45ACP by a few hundred thousand.

The problem is numbers, because they're all driving similar weapons, and these folks are very blessed to have made it out alive.

Would I draw and shoot? I wasn't there, but I've gone 1v1 against a larger, more powerful vehicle [ended with me ramming him and then driving away as fast as I could], and count myself very blessed to have "won" with the VERY limited "offensive driving" training I had before this event. However, it required the use of both hands, both feet, both eyes, and pretty much 100% of my CPU capacity. Trying to draw, aim, and fire while doing that... well, I'm not sure I'm that good, and I think it would've had a high probability of me being like the FBI agent in Miami who spent the whole gunfight looking for his pistol that had gone under the seat.

My personal hope is that I'd be able to change directions, refuse to follow their funneling/driving cues, and either elude or buy enough time for the cavalry to arrive. If I end up out of options or "ammo" for the primary weapon, I'll work my way down to something smaller.

You have the remember the pregnant wife tho, you can't be crashing into people in that situation.

Video showed that they stopped, maybe that was the medias fault. Either way I would stop, not go faster. I've seen and been in my fair share of accidents. I'm curious as to what you would do in that situation, they're not just boxing you in, they're throwing metal breaking a window... Besides something doesn't add up, they wait for people, box them in, throw a piece of metal? Was that the big plan? Something else went on...
    I honestly don't know what I would do in that situation, sorry. But considering I'm boxed in: a car in front, one on left, one on right and one directly behind and my pregnant wife sitting next to me. You choose to shoot your way out, the odds of you or your wife surviving are slim at best. If you can't call in "broken arrow" for artillery or close air support your goose would seemed to be cooked. JMO.
    Hopyard and mook012 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bentcursor View Post
    I agree. The best thing to do is give a nice "no thanks" kind of wave and then let the other vehicle pass. If he slows down or starts to harass, call the police. If unable to call the police, try to find a large gas station or town to pull into.
    Ben, the area they were in was probably between the Falfurrias Checkpoint and Edinburg. There really are no gas stations to pull into between the 2 areas. And she did call 911 but they had broken window and couldn't hear. Would be interested in hearing the actual 911 call. I do kinda agree that something kind of doesn't add up.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    I honestly don't know what I would do in that situation, sorry. But considering I'm boxed in: a car in front, one on left, one on right and one directly behind and my pregnant wife sitting next to me. You choose to shoot your way out, the odds of you or your wife surviving are slim at best. If you can't call in "broken arrow" for artillery or close air support your goose would seemed to be cooked. JMO.
    I'd assume if they threw a piece of metal... they probably would have gone for a gun if they had one. But having a bad plan in a bad situation is still better than having no plan.

You have the remember the pregnant wife tho, you can't be crashing into people in that situation.
    Absolutely I can be. I'll take my chances with the forces of an airbag and seatbelt on my wife and unborn child vs the forces of a bullet, bat, fists, or boots any day.

For the record, when I rammed the guy in the situation I mentioned, the airbags didn't go off. Probably 30-ish mph, my front left bumper against the quarter panel right behind his rear axle at just less than perpendicular. I was actually surprised that I didn't immediately start smelling radiator fluid even though I crumpled the hell out of his sheetmetal and spun him around. When I got to safety, I was very surprised by the lack of damage to the bumper.

I'd assume if they threw a piece of metal... they probably would have gone for a gun if they had one. But having a bad plan in a bad situation is still better than having no plan.
    This is a scenario supposedly based on real events. I see the big picture here, (boxed in by 4 cars with unknown occupants and weapons) but that is just me. I personally don't make life altering decisions based on assumptions, but do as you choose.

Nobody else has said what they would do, so you can keep saying you would do something else, but my plan>no plan.
    __________________________________________________ ___________

NH_Esau, seatbelt and airbag isn't all that it is. The latest accident I was in was ~20 mph, I had severe back spasms for 5 months, thousands in bills, had to go to many doctors and chiropractors. You're talking highway speeds, which will almost always result in rollovers. So before you plan on playing bumper cars, keep that in mind.

I'm getting off this topic, you guys can think about what you would do, or worry about it when the time comes. Later.

Probably a case of mistaken identity... but maybe not (maybe the identity wasn't important)...

Drug runners/dealers who are losing their loads/supply (for whatever reason) are being made to repay the value to their bosses. Some of them have gotten enough money back by taking people for ransom. Even unassuming folk have some kin that could get some money together... It has happened (and I speak from experience through extended (ex) family).

"Jose's" wife had it right when she said "Nobody's safe. The truth is, nobody is safe." Especially true in states bordering Mexico; and the closer you are to the border itself within those states, the more dangerous it is...

Yes you can reduce the risk in any given situation... but you cannot eliminate it completely.

As has often been said on DC "Any time, anywhere." Whether its an upscale neighborhood in Connecticut or the Barrio in El Paso.. Bad people are about. Any one of us could be the next target... random... or planned.

As to what I'd do... It depends entirely on the circumstances... am I alone, Is my spouse with me, am I driving the truck? Or her SUV...

And as far as not having road "incidents" occur (whether road rage or paintball attacks, snowballs from the neighborhood kids, or Pumpkins dropped on interstate travelers from over passes... it happens frequently.

On a two lane hiway at speed, (in rural, serene, and bucolic Iowa)I saw a southpaw in the back seat of an approaching car "winding up," He threw a rock at my windshield. He did not miss. Closing speed of the rock? ~ 120 MPH + his pitching ability. It was my old 6 banger, and no way I could pull a U and catch 'em. Fortunately, windshield did not collapse, and I drove to town for a replacement.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Hey im from the LA Joya area and have come down that way several times.

I do however drive a F150 4x4 and have had someone try and push my truck over a lane..that dosnt work well with my truck so for me if there intent on boxing me in thats not going to happen for long especiall if one of them breaks my window, Right away call 911 give a license plate and location they dont seem set on moveing thats why fords are built tough :P

Be safe out there, tons of crazy people trying to be big and bad, depending on what he was driving is probably why he was targeted.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links