Unsafe gunplay- what do you do?

This is a discussion on Unsafe gunplay- what do you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just read the thread about having to tell a guy not to spin his loaded Glock on his finger like a cowboy. http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...ded-glock.html Which ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Unsafe gunplay- what do you do?

Question Unsafe gunplay- what do you do?

I just read the thread about having to tell a guy not to spin his loaded Glock on his finger like a cowboy.

How many times can you twirl a loaded Glock?

Which got me to thinking. What if you were in a situation in which someone you know or don't know has decided to show off and do some gun "tricks" like twirling, tossing...whatever unsafe negligent play you can imagine. Now lets say even after you have told the person not to do what they want to or are doing and they disregard you and continue being unsafe.

What do you do?

Please leave out the avoid stupid places/people etc. You could be at the range, at a friend's home when another acquaintance decides to be a moron etc. Whatever it is, you're there and it is happening and you have to react.

Of course you can just leave. But maybe this moron is so unsafe that you could still be hurt just in the process of leaving- NDs can go anywhere, even into you as you leave the room, house, driveway, range etc.

Do you think that it would be justified to draw down on a moron like this until they stop their stupid actions? If they react in a belligerent manner when you confront them to stop would it be justified to shoot? They may not intend harm but their actions are putting any reasonable person at risk.

Once again, what would you do?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

Get out of the line of fire, by leaving. Friend or not im out of there
    Hopyard, 357and40, cshoff and 3 others like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I don't hang out with people that dumb.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I would leave, fast, with wife and daughter in front of me. Drawing down? Anyone who is nuts enough to do such stupid things, and keep doing them when challenged, is likely to start shooting if I did.

I would probably shout to the rangemaster (well, the range employees) 'you have an idiot in there who's going to shoot someone
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    Neither do I. But the whole premise is that you are in the situation whether it be friend or stranger. Read the post because saying that you don't hang out with people that dumb doesn't address the question AT ALL.

You're there, so now what do you do?
    mlr1m likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Leave IMMEDIATELY...no good byes...no conversations....just leave. Going back would NOT be a option EVER. I would even stop taking phone calls from this idiot. "But what if this person is a family member?" Too bad for him...he just fell down the bunny hole of BYE BYE. I will make my own Christmas dinner and he is NOT invited.
    JDE101, shooterX, WHEC724 and 2 others like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    I do. But not when there are weapons present. If they start playing with a weapon, I tell them to stop, and leave. Quickly.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Not a lot of choices there.....leave or beat him. I would explain that if the muzzle get's pointed in my general direction at all, he will not like my reaction. I would use words that would get me banned here.

Leaving would be the best choice.

If you are at a friends house and your friend hasn't already put an end to it, you should get a new friend.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    But maybe this moron is so unsafe that you could still be hurt just in the process of leaving

ok, so im along with a friend and we end up at a home where this is occuring....

this goes to why i recommend everyone who carries a gun also have some martial arts background.
    not so much to disarm him (though it is a skill i have used in the past) as to be fast and fluid getting off the X

for me to draw on a fool is to likely in his mind esculate his defensive posturing.
    ---no good can come of that.

id want Jackie Chan in that room

....i either have to leave when he is not looking in my direction;
    failing that, disarm him---how can be ugly.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

OK, first, I don't have any "friends" or relatives that are that stupid. However, if by some chance I were to go to someone's house and they were to act that stupid, I would IMMEDIATELY leave--and never, ever, ever, go back! If I were at a range, I would immediately notify the range officer or someone in charge. I would under NO situation "draw down" on them!!! Duh, I'm not that stupid! I would get myself/family member(s) off the "X" by immediately moving rapidly "out of the line of fire" so to speak. Just my .02.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Just as stated above, I would remove myself from this persons presence immediately, and quite possibly not associate with them anymore. I have a low tolerance for stupidity and unsafe acts such as this scenario.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Like others, I don't have any friends or relatives that stupid, so that leaves people I don't know. I quit going to local gun shows for that exact reason. I got tired of watching people sweep a room crowded with people while checking out firearms. When challenged, they always tell you how many years of experience they have handling weapons, that all weapons are unloaded, checked and safe, and that you are overreacting. Sure enough, a few months ago, one of the vendors managed to shoot himself with an "unloaded" pistol. Go figure.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I play with my gun(s); what person doesn't BUT when I do it is by myself and with a snap cap in the chamber.

Now if someone else is doing it as a fellow shooter/gun enthusiast I correct their judgment and if that don't work I leave

I can't say that I "play" with my guns. Yes I practice drawing, etc., but I do that only when no one is around and I make sure the weapon is unloaded by physically checking the chamber before and after each and every unholstering during the practice. I don't tolerate any shenanigans when it comes to weapons loaded or otherwise. If you're dumb enough to twirl a weapon, then you are a candidate for a darwin award. Sorry if that offends anyone but its the way I view it.

If I witness the behavior and am able to safely intervene I will take the weapon from the offender, unload/verify unload, field strip it and hand the pieces back to them, and then walk away. If at a range with a range officer, they will be notified as well.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

I agree with W9. I ask politely to see the weaspon in question, make a really big show of checking if it's loaded, unload it if it isn't, mentioning to the owner what an azzhat he is for playing with a loaded weapon. Then, as I was field stripping it, I would impress upon him the error of his ways. He would get most of the pieces back right away. He'd have them all only when I or him, got ready to leave.
    lyz_grace likes this.
    Colt Commander LW. I think shooting twice is just plain silly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links