Real Scenario: A Guy Is Put Into A Coma For A Passing Comment

This is a discussion on Real Scenario: A Guy Is Put Into A Coma For A Passing Comment within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Yoda Is there something in the water up around Seattle/Tacoma? Seems I am hearing bad news from there almost daily. Naw.. its ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Real Scenario: A Guy Is Put Into A Coma For A Passing Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Is there something in the water up around Seattle/Tacoma? Seems I am hearing bad news from there almost daily.
    Naw.. its more an effect of the nearly constant gray skies that creates depression in those who do not know how to compensate for it. Though there are some who grew up in area's that even the grass has been contaminated by lead from the old AsarCo smelter, put the two together and you do have a ticking time-bomb.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

2. Remove Ads

I hope the animal gets life.

I have a question. If you happened to be armed and with the victim when something like this happened, do you just become a "good witness" or is there some other recourse one could follow? I realize that carrying a weapon in a bar isn't the smartest thing to do, but let's say it happened in the parking lot of the local Target store. What should the armed friend do in this situation? I hope I am not coming across as naive or stupid or something even worse and I also know what I would like to do in that situation, but in actuality, what does one do?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldy49 View Post
    I have a question. If you happened to be armed and with the victim when something like this happened, do you just become a "good witness" or is there some other recourse one could follow? I realize that carrying a weapon in a bar isn't the smartest thing to do, but let's say it happened in the parking lot of the local Target store. What should the armed friend do in this situation? I hope I am not coming across as naive or stupid or something even worse and I also know what I would like to do in that situation, but in actuality, what does one do?
    In Ohio, we can carry in a bar as long as we consume no alcohol. What would I do after I just saw a muscle beach bully commit felonious assault? I would probably be in reasonable fear for my life, and respond accordingly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Is there something in the water up around Seattle/Tacoma? Seems I am hearing bad news from there almost daily.
    They probably ship their water in from Detroit.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Each person should know what the laws of their state are as that may effect your decision to act or observe and report. In this instance, meaning a person who hits another with his fist here in Washington State can be viewed as causing injury to another.
    Therefore, we are permitted to use Reasonable Force for the protection of ourselves or others:
    From RCW 9A.16.020: Use of force
    Use of force — When lawful.

The use, attempt, or offer to use force upon or toward the person of another is not unlawful in the following cases:

(1) Whenever necessarily used by a public officer in the performance of a legal duty, or a person assisting the officer and acting under the officer's direction;

(2) Whenever necessarily used by a person arresting one who has committed a felony and delivering him or her to a public officer competent to receive him or her into custody;

(3) Whenever used by a party about to be injured, or by another lawfully aiding him or her, in preventing or attempting to prevent an offense against his or her person, or a malicious trespass, or other malicious interference with real or personal property lawfully in his or her possession, in case the force is not more than is necessary;

(4) Whenever reasonably used by a person to detain someone who enters or remains unlawfully in a building or on real property lawfully in the possession of such person, so long as such detention is reasonable in duration and manner to investigate the reason for the detained person's presence on the premises, and so long as the premises in question did not reasonably appear to be intended to be open to members of the public;

~~ snip ~~

Would pulling a firearm be excessive force? More than likely if the only thing the perp used was his fists.

And for us carrying in a Bar is not legal even if we are not there drinking.
    From RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places
    Weapons prohibited in certain places

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
    ~~ snip ~~
    (d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age;

I do not even know if the man (the one in a coma) who was with his Dad had been drinking or not. None of the articles I can find really say.. all they say is that it happened outside of a Bar and that the suspect claimed it was alcohol related. If the bar is the one I am thinking of, it is located in a strip-mall where there are other store fronts sharing a covered sidewalk and parking lot not far from the Mall in Puyallup.
    So it is possible that the guy and his dad had not even been in the bar. Only time and the trial will tell.
    Lets Unite and REMIND our Government that WE are the source of their authority and that WE demand our Rights be returned, Unabridged, Non-infringed, without denial or disparagement.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    and by the car in question ----TimeLine:

there is no--leading up to the punch being thrown
    so there is no Time during which one could have done anything to avert/prevent the blow

after the punch the BG just gets in his vehicle and leaves--thus he is no a threat to self or others anylonger.

--so phone to take pictures of the BG, his car, people --witnesses, and the person on the ground
    and call 911
    -----------------
    the armed person is not LEO and not there job to follow the BG; no good could come of that
    ---->he sees you following , stops, gets out of his car and approaches you.....so you reverser the heck out of there but suppose trafffic is such that you can not reverse.
    i see ugly things occuring and none to benifit you. so unless you got a lot of friends with you -- and even than that could end up with you being seen as esculating...
    MadMac, LkWd_Don and Spade115 like this.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

This is one of those circumstances where you won't even know what happened until it's over. I've seen a number of fights and most of the time it's a dispute being resolved by two parties and it's nothing to intervene in or dare I say, even call the police about… As long as it's a "normal" fight.

But, this dude dropped and hit his head on the pavement and I'm sure all those that witnessed the fight assumed he got knocked out at first. Then, the dirty ape made an immature comment and left the scene. There was nothing to indicate what was going to happen.

If I saw two men fight, I'll back up and consider it nothing more than that. But, if others join in, one guy doesn't stop when the other goes down or a weapon comes out, then things have changed. I don't like to fight and I certainly don't go looking for one, but every once in a blue moon, someone may need taught a lesson. I'm not saying I'm the one to do it, but it does happen. I don't think this, generally speaking, is something that needs anything more than broken up the the parties involved sent on their way.

Of course this is much different than a fight between two guys, this was a filthy maggot punching a guy that was complimenting him (or as I understand it actually complimenting the owner of the car and not the animal that was the passenger) on his wheels. Still, even though completely out of line, it probably appeared as a regular fight until the guy hit his head, didn't get up or seized…

I'd love to give the kid's Dad an hour alone with that animal.

EDIT - I didn't see Claude's response as I think this page was opened since last night and not refreshed since.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

"Leave the gun. Take the cannolis."

I saw a recent story in my neck of the woods where a guy and girl in a convertible at a stop light and a car load of guys pulled up beside them and asked them to race. He declined then they wanted to fight. Not sure of the exchange but the guy drove off and went home. They go in and he returns outside to put top up on car. They had followed him, parked away from the house, jumped him and beat him into a coma. Last I read he was brain dead and the suspects at large. Sounds like some people are just out trying to create situations. Sometimes trouble finds you.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    A bullet is too good for a gangsta wannabe like this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Well,he'll get his chance to prove how tough he is in prison. He will have to put everyone to sleep or,be very careful not to drop the soap.

At least he seems to be recovering per our local news

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/fami...ecovery/nN9fc/

Sent from my 300 baud modem

cj
    Not long ago in my town, a guy made some remarks about firefighters. One of the visitors in town happened to be a firefighter, so after they took a cab to a hotel (WHY they all went together, I have no idea), the visitor punched the guy whose head hit the ground, killing him. Scary how this type of thing can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    At least he seems to be recovering per our local news

Family of beaten Puyallup man is hopeful for recovery | www.kirotv.com

Sent from my 300 baud modem
    That's great, thanks for updating. I know three different guys that suffered pretty terrible brain injuries (one from a quad, one on a motorcycle, one in a car). All were in a coma for days with a grim outlook and they all made remarkable recoveries, one is actually an LEO now. Hopefully this guy gets back to 100% and finds better places to hang out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links