Doorbell @ 3:43 AM!

This is a discussion on Doorbell @ 3:43 AM! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by lyz_grace New 911 'Swatting' Prank Sends SWAT Team to Your Home Craziness. Way off topic but can you imagine if that guy ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Doorbell @ 3:43 AM!

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    Way off topic but can you imagine if that guy had defended his house against the intruders and accidentally shot a cop or two? My guess is that the jerks who do this kind of thing don't think about who could get hurt or killed, much less the fact that if someone did die they would be charged in the death....

Back on topic sorry to hijack OP.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

2. Remove Ads

That happened to me twice way back in 1989. Cordless phones were kinda new and the LEOs told me that signals could get crossed. Don't know why it would happen nowadays...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member
    First time I've heard of this. Could have a real bad outcome if not handled the way you did. What possible "kick" could someone have from doing this to someone 100 or a 1000 miles away? No feedback for them, they can't see or hear the action. Stupid knows no bounds.

Most cordless phones communicate with a base station that's plugged into an AC outlet and land line. Even if the cordless handsets are dead, that base station is still active, and someone could hop on the frequency and call anyone they wish. It's not easy to do, but possible.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back in '89 or 90 I had a "Uniden" cordless phone that when the battery was dying it would dial 911. It happened twice before we figured out what it was. That phone went "by-by" real fast!
    MleeC likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

For a prank (or to get someone in trouble) at many houses it would be very easy to open the phone company interface box on the side of the house, plug in a cheep handset and away we go. 911 would see your number since the call really came from your line.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

From the above article: ".......the necessary upgrades to software and equipment that would make it harder for 911 call centers to be spoofed are costly, around $5,000 per terminal."

Guess they will wait until enough citizens/law enforcement get shot or killed before they upgrade.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Sometimes electrical noise on a phone line may cause a signal to the 911 dispatch center from your number. The operator answers and gets static, or nothing. If thay are capable they do a reverse 911, and treat it as a 911 hang up. They must create a job, and dispatch an officer.

Having worked in communications for the last 17 years I may have the simple non nefarious solution for you. This is a somewhat common problem on landline copper wire. It's what we call a trip ring and is caused by a ground on your copper pairs coming from the central office. It will be a sporadic condition that gets worse during times when there's high moisture. Funny thing is it usually will set up a 3 digit call almost exclusively (411,611,911 etc.). Of course the reason being the odds of setting up a seven or eleven digit call is probably astronomical. You should put a ticket into your local service provider and have them test your line.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Very strange...

Kinda like that crappy movie White Noise....

VIP Member
    I think I would have called the police station, to actually verify that it was indeed, one of theirs standing on my porch, instead of a phony tony, ready to pull a strong arm on you.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I think I would have called the police station, to actually verify that it was indeed, one of theirs standing on my porch, instead of a phony tony, ready to pull a strong arm on you.
    Not challenging you, this is a question. If you're worried about a phony cop on your porch, how do you contact the station without tipping off the BG? I would think voicing the fact that you think they might be fake would cause the situation to blow up pretty quickly. Ask them if they can wait on the porch a minute while you... go change out of your pajamas?

Be thankful they didnt shoot your dog...

Make sure outside phone box is secure. Anyone can plug in a phone and place a call from this box or listen to a landline call. Any bad neighbors who are low enough to do this?
    RIP Jeff Cooper

That's what worries me about this situation. Kids playing pranks. What if the 911 call was a attempted murder in progress etc and they came bashing through front door and you thinking its a home invasion go ape S)(*) on the cops with your arsenal of weapons.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links