Doorbell @ 3:43 AM! - Page 3

Doorbell @ 3:43 AM!

This is a discussion on Doorbell @ 3:43 AM! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not much you can do about the false 911 call on the line. Telephone equipment does some crazy stuff sometimes. The only thing I would ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Doorbell @ 3:43 AM!

Not much you can do about the false 911 call on the line. Telephone equipment does some crazy stuff sometimes.

The only thing I would have done differently besides head to the door was while I was getting some clothes on, I would have flipped the TV in the bedroom over to show the video camera and see who was at the door. Seeing an officer would make me feel a bit better. If you are still unsure, a quick real call to 911 and question if they have an officer dispatched to x address would be reassuring if you had doubts as to whether or not it was an impostor.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I agree, I can't express the importance of video surveillance. This will get you started! I'm not even sure I would have put on clothes that late in the night. Just get my gun. I sleep in Boxers anyway.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I had an officer stop by a few weekends ago asking about a 911 hangup. It was very surprising. We had just gotten back from church a few minutes before and I told him that we had not called and there was not trouble. I certainly checked the house out right after I closed the door though. Got me a little paranoid. But then I started wondering why a burglar would break in and then call 911? Must be a phone circuit thing.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    It happens more than you would think. Sometimes when there's a little glitch in the phone line it automatically dials 911. Happens all the time with disconnected phone lines too. Even old phone lines on old abandoned houses.

Don't worry about it.
    He is right, it does happen pretty often. I would call the phone company.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    Not challenging you, this is a question. If you're worried about a phony cop on your porch, how do you contact the station without tipping off the BG? I would think voicing the fact that you think they might be fake would cause the situation to blow up pretty quickly. Ask them if they can wait on the porch a minute while you... go change out of your pajamas?
    Either way, BG, good cops, they can wait until I clear it with their "home office" if they are legit.
    If its BG's and they get antsie, and hit the trail, oh well, if they bull rush the door they get lead.
    If its the good guys it won't take but 30 seconds to verify.
    Pkupmn98 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Maybe an old Burglar Alarm? It could still be hooked up to dial out 911 if the lines are cut and if the battery for it goes dead or gets low...it can trigger the 911. Had this happen at a business once. Didn't even know the thing was there until the phone company started tracing the lines and found the thing.

I get maybe one or two of these every six months or so, I work for a very large communication company. Could be a lot of different things. Very hard to isolate if the trouble is not occuring when I am checking the lines. Could be your phone equipment, alarm, could be something in the slick or switching equipment, I could go on and on. Def make sure your cordless phone base is unplugged, and as others have said check the box on the side of your home and make sure it is closed. Some people even put a little pad lock on them. We can get around the lock with a special tool.
    Pkupmn98 likes this.
    Peace the old fashion way......

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Make sure outside phone box is secure. Anyone can plug in a phone and place a call from this box or listen to a landline call. Any bad neighbors who are low enough to do this?
    Not a bad idea. I have been installing business telephone systems for over 12 years and I still see things from the carriers (at&t, Frontier, Timer Warner, Charter) that I have never seen before-no offense to anyone that works for one of them. On several of my installations I have found live phone lines that don't belong to the customer. They just never had the lines removed. I hook up a test set and dial a cell phone (or the private line ID numbers) and it displays a number that was used by the business that had the previous lease and moved away, or a business that is across the street. If you have ever seen an open phone pedestal out on the side of the road, you would be amazed that any of lines actually work.

Quote Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
    If you have ever seen an open phone pedestal out on the side of the road, you would be amazed that any of lines actually work.
    no kidding. People would be amazed to learn that anyone with a little knowledge and a Butt Set (I know, that is what it is called) could totally pirate your line. We have a very in depth background check. If you ever had a ticket you had better list it.
    Peace the old fashion way......

A buttset and access to you demarc and someone could phone from your house.

That same thing happened to me about 5-7 years ago, at about 5 o'clock in the evening. The wife and daughter had left for shopping about 1/2 hour earlier and I was the only one home watching TV. The city police officer shows up at the door and informs me they received a 911 call from this address. I said he must have the wrong address so he called the dispatcher to confirm, and they said it was my address? I assured him everything was up and up and no problems. I even offered to let him come in and see that everything was fine, but he accepted that and left.

The only thing we could figure is a glitch in the system. In retrospect, I've learned never to volunteer anything to law enforcement because the deck is stacked against you.

After reading a few more posts on this subject and come to think of it, we had a couple of wireless telephones and an operational ADT system. That would make more sense I guess.
    Last edited by Dennis1209; May 9th, 2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: addendum
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Looking at your actions, they seem to be OK. The important thing is that you didn't open the door with a gun in your hand with a police officer answering a 911 hang-up or some variant. That could have ended badly.

The only other thing I can think of is to ask 'Who is it?' followed by 'What do you need?' before opening the door. The interesting thing is that years ago when I was on the street, I wouldn't be ringing a doorbell or knocking on a door and standing where you could easily see me. I would be back and to the side because on the off chance that someone fires through that door, I'm not going to be in front of it. If you think about it, the policeman has no idea what is on the other side of that door nor what is going on. Regardless of that, the initial conversation is probably better had with the door closed and locked until you have an idea what is going on. If you are really suspicious for some reason, then its time to give 911 a call and ask if an officer has been dispatched to your home and why.

Good job.....hope the telephone mystery is solved too.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links