Do you think about it? - Page 2

Do you think about it?

This is a discussion on Do you think about it? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do I still think about it? Yes. Mental prep is a powerful tool and can add benefit to anything in life. Self defense being one ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Do you think about it?

Do I still think about it? Yes. Mental prep is a powerful tool and can add benefit to anything in life. Self defense being one of them. We must realize that it has to be in reality, not fantasy. If we can make that distinction it is a very good tool. It does not replace experience, but we all know, we do not want the experience....Good thoughtful question T-man....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I used to have lots of those dreams...during my Red Ryder BB Gun days...yes, I had one!

Now...
    I just don't trust anyone, I keep my head on a swivel, but I don't try to go to far in thinking about HOW it could happen.
    I believe that any attempt at trying to figure out HOW it will happen would be a waste of valuable thinking time.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    I avoid stupid and pay very close attention. Beyond that, no, I really don't think about it much anymore.
    tacman605 likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Do you see the threat from a distance, recognize it, be ready to draw? Sometimes
    Does the other person back down? Sometimes
    Do you have to fire and is it effective? Generally, and usually, after several shots
    Is the encounter close are you in a fight for your life? sometimes
    Do you prepare more for a home invasion or on the street type incident? both equally
    Do the legal ramifications enter into the thought process? sometimes
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I use to. Until over the years after a few incidents made it clear that any mental exercise on my part could not prepare me for the way things go down.

^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^

See below,

You will never begin in the fight you have planned for. You will begin in the fight the other guy has planned for.
    Move in a manner that leads him into your fight should he press his attack.
    Mathew Courtney
    tacman605 and First Sgt like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    To me there is no way you can plan for a fight in the future. You are not the only player and can not control others moves. Best I can do is train and let that training kick in so I act without thinking what I need to do at any time. You need to train for any and all situations. Your mind and body can and will do amazing things if only you feed it the right info.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Do I think about scenarios, yes. It just depends on where I am, what I am doing. For the most part, I spend time looking at what is going on around me. If in a restaurant, where I am in relation to the door/exit. Where I would go, or send the family if an active shooter came in. What is there to use as cover/concealment where I am sitting, who else is around me. If out in public, the store parking lot, or on the street, mostly I am concerned with who is approaching or what not. What it would take to fend them off with oc spray, or what can be put between them and me or my family.

At home and the office I am more concerned with where the family or other folks in the office are located and whether or not I would be able get the person under control or out of the fight without jeapordizing good people.

I don't get too wrapped up in scenarios where the person is coming from a distance and getting ready to draw. If it happens it will probably be up close and pretty nasty if I can't convince them to stop before they get within 15 ft or so.

Legal ramifications, not so much. I consider it, but since I am not the aggresor I have a valid defense.

There are various studies, but it seems that in some instances mental imagery does increase performance. As gman suggested, it might be that if you have ran it through in your head, you may simply be more calm with your actions whatever they may end up being, that you actually do better.

By staying in condition yellow you avoid going from white to black panic mode.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

What the continued mental prep game does do, is allow a more calm, and methodical action on your part. It helps replace that panic associated with the adrenal dump with a process of rational action, because the process was began before hand, but now you have to make the ending happen.
    That's a good way to put it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Remember the beginning of the movie "Harley Davidson &the Marlboro Man"? That was my scenario... After I save the day the hot store clerk makes out with me, then I ride off into the sunset...

Now that I'm older the scenario goes something like
    :I hear gunshots in the gift shop of cracker barrell, I rush my wife and child out of the nearest exit with hand on weapon and calling 911.

For those of you who did or currently ride motorcycles, I am sure you think often about laying your bike down if you see a accident ready to happen and you are going to be a part of it. What side will you lay your bike down and how will you move to stay on top of the bike so you slide with it? These thoughts need to be practiced each time you take your bike for a ride. Your best place to be if you have to be in a collision is on top of the bike to let the bike take most of the impact force. Screw the hot exhaust pipes.

Like wise, every time you OC or CC, you must play out different scenarios as to what you will do, what you will tell the people you are with to do. To play these things out in you head may just save your life someday.

So, to answer the OP's question, yes I do.

Safe shooting,
    Vv
    sensei2 likes this.

VIP Member
    Oustanding responses guys.

Oneshot the quote you gave is perfect. As I have said over and over you will not dictate the circumstance you are merely reacting to the the BG.

VNvet that is the near perfect comparison. I ride and you constantly look ahead as to what could happen, where you would go and so on.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Pretty much as glockman put it - reinforced not by personal experience but by what has happened to friends and family, and the experiences I read about here. Different scenarios pop into my mind on occasion (like watching zoned-out joggers with ear buds, oblivious to the world around them), but I rarely take those too far because the "real life" event will most likely be vastly different
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I think about different scenarios, but my sig line pretty much covers the realities.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

In my humble opinion,mental preperation is as important as practice.Developing good shooting skills is not much use if you don't prepare mentally.The time to do both is before things go south.Visualize every scenario you can,and to the best of your ability,visualize how you will react. Like you said,it's unpredictable how,or when, or where ,it could happen. Most of the time it's very close,sudden,and in low light.Think like a bad guy,when and how would you attack?.RayBar

I use to. Until over the years after a few incidents made it clear that any mental exercise on my part could not prepare me for the way things go down.
    That pretty much explains it.

For your options, I've only found 1 to be consistent ..... draw and shoot. If you have time to draw and think about it, or them run away, you probably never needed to draw it in the first place, with some rare exceptions or when clearing a house, etc.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links