Do you think about it?

Do you think about it?

This is a discussion on Do you think about it? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to ask this question in the simplest way I can. There is no trick part to it. No facts needed it is ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Do you think about it?

VIP Member

Do you think about it?

I am going to ask this question in the simplest way I can. There is no trick part to it. No facts needed it is all the individual's opinion and literally in their own head.

Here is my question.

How do you visualize a self defense encounter taking place or have you ever even given it a thought? I am not talking about a Walter Mitty fantasy type thought but actually thinking about how it would/could take place.

Do you see the threat from a distance, recognize it, be ready to draw?
    Does the other person back down?
    Do you have to fire and is it effective?
    Is the encounter close are you in a fight for your life?
    Do you prepare more for a home invasion or on the street type incident?
    Do the legal ramifications enter into the thought process?
    These are just examples of questions I thought of feel free to add or take away.

One of the reasons I am asking is that to me the way you visualize this event taking place directly relates to how you train and what you train for. I fully realize that no one knows or can predict when, where or if it will happen. I am asking what thoughts if any you have had in relation to it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I use to. Until over the years after a few incidents made it clear that any mental exercise on my part could not prepare me for the way things go down.
    tacman605, jbum, phreddy and 2 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I haven't seen near as many as you or Gman, but it never happens like I expect it will, and usually happened when I didn't expect it.

Do you see the threat from a distance, recognize it, be ready to draw? Never
    Does the other person back down? Always
    Do you have to fire and is it effective? Never fired
    Is the encounter close are you in a fight for your life? Quick & violent, event only seconds in duration
    Do you prepare more for a home invasion or on the street type incident? Both, but see street type as higher probability
    Do the legal ramifications enter into the thought process? Nope
    These are just examples of questions I thought of feel free to add or take away.

Perhaps another question to add is what is your role at the time: Military? LEO? Civilian?
    Guest1, tacman605 and nerdyvirgin like this.

I am vigilant and watch what is going on around me but I never preempt a shooting. I do look around when I walk into a Restaurant and take a defensive position whenever possible. Same when I walk into a building I look for exits and give the place a “what if” look around
    tacman605 and JDE101 like this.

In Carson City, about thirty five miles south of here, last year a crazy fellow went into an IHOP breakfast restaurant and killed several people. No particular reason, he just did it. I can imagine the terror that must have gone through the victims and those others around who didn’t get shot. I decided then that I would get a CCW and carry all the time where permitted. I have never carried a gun except in combat, on alert or at the pistol range as I was a member of a base target pistol team. I do not frequent places where I am likely to need a gun so most of my mental scenarios have to do with taking out a shooter from a distance of five to twenty five yards. My son-in-law and I practice every Friday with draw and shoot against Zombie targets. It is a lot of fun and the draw and shoot is getting smooth, fast and quite accurate. Our practice is mostly at seven yards though we back off to 25 yards for a few sequences of draw and double tap. We do shoot a no-aim sequence at three yards or less but I don’t do much mental prep for that. Whatever one does mentally will help if the time comes but physical practice in imperative. Of course this is just an old man's opinion but it seems right.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

VIP Member
    You are right guys.

What role are you in in the situation? Also do you personally feel the thoughts, planning, mental prep game would help? Didn't think about those.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member
    I think anyone who decides to carry (for the right reasons) must mentally run through a variety of scenarios, especially at first.
    I've done it, both at the homestead and about town, but I've pretty much resigned myself to the idea that any real incident that occured would be a totally new experience, no matter how many different ways it's been mentally played out. Our preparedness efforts have focused more deployment exercises with various carry methods to build up some muscle memory and even more so on improving situational awareness.

At home, both I and my GF have become more aware of possible ingress points and our relative positions to them throughout the day/night. We pay more attention to unusual sounds and the behaviour of our pets (who kindly alert us to anything out of the ordinary that they observe).. and yes.. we both carry at home.

When out and about we practice with the "observation game"... sort of a risk assessment based on other peoples body language, unusual attire, apparent nervousness, etc. At restaurants we always try to seat ourselves in a way that we can observe folks coming and going... when driving we pay attention to other vehicles and their occupants, especially those that might follow us for a long time or say beside us. We work on simple communications (looks, phrases, key words) to share our observations to keep it to ourselves.

The most common thread is our SA training is "what options are available to avoid a lethal response", not forsaking "no other option" scenarios of course.

Some folks might consider our behavior to be indicative of paranoia, but we don't sit around thinking someone's around the corner waiting to get us... we just prefer to not get caught with our pants down in the event :)

What the continued mental prep game does do, is allow a more calm, and methodical action on your part. It helps replace that panic associated with the adrenal dump with a process of rational action, because the process was began before hand, but now you have to make the ending happen.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I am going to ask this question in the simplest way I can. There is no trick part to it. No facts needed it is all the individual's opinion and literally in their own head.

Here is my question.

How do you visualize a self defense encounter taking place or have you ever even given it a thought? I am not talking about a Walter Mitty fantasy type thought but actually thinking about how it would/could take place.

Do you see the threat from a distance, recognize it, be ready to draw?
    Does the other person back down?
    Do you have to fire and is it effective?
    Is the encounter close are you in a fight for your life?
    Do you prepare more for a home invasion or on the street type incident?
    Do the legal ramifications enter into the thought process?

One of the reasons I am asking is that to me the way you visualize this event taking place directly relates to how you train and what you train for. I fully realize that no one knows or can predict when, where or if it will happen. I am asking what thoughts if any you have had in relation to it.
    I actually have visions that will run through my mind virtually daily, and virtually everywhere I go. I refer to it more as SA and how to react than a visualization of an actual encounter...

Example: My granddaughter and I go to the Waffle House daily as part of our routine time together...Upon parking, I begin to visualize..recognizing type of vehicles in the parking lot, numbers of vehicles, walking into the WH I casually check out the patrons already there, notice and make note of any that draw my attention for various and sundry reasons...Then depending on where I sit, I then run thru my mind as to what my reaction will be IF a BG were to enter the WH from outside, where would I go IF I go somewhere, what would I do with granddaughter, how I would defend my position, what would I do IF I had to explode and attack. Then visualize the entire WH and how I would react IF the encounter began with a patron already inside. Once I've run it through my mind, then I am at peace but alert for the remainder of the time...I've done it so much, that it only takes a few moments to analyze, visualize, and decide on actions.

I apply this to going into the mall, a department store, church (especially church for some reason), etc......JMO
    JDE101 and sensei2 like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I use to. Until over the years after a few incidents made it clear that any mental exercise on my part could not prepare me for the way things go down.
    I agree with this. Though, I've never been in any situations. I often wonder and think about what may happen. But then I snap back to reality and realize, that what Glockman said, there is nothing you can do to prepare for an unexpected incident. You can think about what you'll do or what may happen all you want, but you don't choose what happens to you.... If I could choose a guy to threaten me a certain way, then I know what I'd do... well actually I'd choose that I not get threatened at all, ever. But my point is, you don't choose how you're attacked.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I think about this sort of thing. I can not carry at work (Federal Employee), so most of my scenarios include thoughts and preps for locating and positioning my wife and daughter (18 months). Although there was a poster at work telling us what to do if we had an active shooter: hide, lock doors, call police, and if they don't get there in time we are supposed to either comply with him and hope he chooses not to shoot us, or throw things at him...

Sorry, got sidetracked there. In most scenarios that I envision, I am either at home (close contact distance) with an intruder, or at the store/out and about with family, and we are not the primary targets of a retail establishment robbery. Clearly you can not envision all possible scenarios and "be ready" for whatever comes your way, but I believe thinking about what might happen and taking actions to mitigate your own exposure to such sittuations can only be positive. Especially discussing things with my wife so that she knows what I want/expect her to do, and I can hopefully count on her to not make things worse.

In the home sittuations I usually have the weapon at the ready and expect to use it. Out at the stores I try to think of ways to draw discreetly and not draw attention to myself as I try to get my family to safety, hopefully without having to engage.

I hope that if required to shoot, my shots will be well placed, but I understand what addrenaline can do to fine motor skills and will hopefully be smart enough to continue to fire until the threat is neutralized.

I do think about the legal ramifications, but having researched local laws, I feel confident that those concerns can be dealt with before shooting and afterwards. I will consider wether or not I am justified in drawing(and therefore using) my weapon initially, but after that decision is made I believe the sittuation will be too dynamic for further thoughts of legal issues. Survival/protection becomes the only concern.

After surviving the initial threat, surviving the police arrival (what to say or not, how not to get shot yourself, etc.) is key, and then let my lawyer handle the rest. I have considered something like the Armed Citizen Legal Defense Network, but have not committed to that yet.

A lot of things to think about. I believe it helps me be better prepared, but hopefully I will never have to find out if my preps help me take appropriate actions or not.
    Walk softly ...

Sure, I think about such things all the time.

Being my company's red cell analyst in Iraq, and then a squad pointman in Afghan made it second nature.

Now that I am a civilian, it just kind of transferred over. Although the legal ramifications come much more into play now as a civilian.

But the thought process is usually something along the lines of "If I was a BG, and going to do X right now, I would do it like this..." And then utilize that scenario to evaluate weaknesses in my own defense.

It really happens now without thinking about it, just like checking for emergency exits.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I draw, shoot the weapon out of his hand and re-holster in the blink of an eye. Usually at this point he retreats. If further action is required I jump in the air and go horizontal. I kick him twice in the chest and once in the head (all in slow motion) and land gracefully on my feet.

In my more realistic moments I do a lot of what ifs. What if someone came from behind that building and grabbed my daughter? What if someone came into the restaurant and opened fire? What's my line in the sand? I have no idea how I would do in real life and have a personal goal to never find out. But much like wearing a seat belt I try to stay prepared for the unthinkable..

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    I had a situation a few years ago where I might have had to draw, but didn't, because good SA on my part had me staring down the individual who thought he might attack me and caused him to decide to back off. (This comes across all wrong -- let me start over). OK my wife and I own a dry cleaners in Edmond OK (won a prize recently as the best suburb in America). That doesn't make it perfect but we do have lots of condition white folks here. One night around 10 pm I came to the cleaners (about 1.5 miles from my home) to get a book (I teach college in computer science and I have a lot of books at both places). When I was unlocking the door to the cleaners, I was watching my 6 in the glass reflection, and I noticed a car zooming through the parking lot pull up behind me and stop. I got the door unlocked and turned around to face this guy (I was already in condition yellow, my mind had already processed the fact that this guy could be a robber). He had gotten out of his car and was looking at me while I was looking at him --- then he thought better of it and got back in his car and left. He might have figured I had a gun under my sweater. He would have been right.

I have posted this here before, like in 2008 or so; at that time some asked if I had called the cops. I did not as it didn't occur to me then. But I agree it would have been a good idea.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I always give it a thought. Thing is......I know it will never turn out like I envisioned it. You can only be so prepared. Plans always get disrupted.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links