Closest I've come to having to draw...

This is a discussion on Closest I've come to having to draw... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Before today, the only time I've drawn was coming home to an open front door. Likely my fault but I swept the house with my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Closest I've come to having to draw...

Closest I've come to having to draw...

Before today, the only time I've drawn was coming home to an open front door. Likely my fault but I swept the house with my wife waiting on the porch.

Today I'm mowing the lawn and my 2 year old is pushing his toy lawnmower around after me. My 4 year old is riding a Tricycle on the back patio. A large black lab leaps over the stone wall and in a matter of seconds, is closing fast on my kids.

Pause.

Up 'till last summer, I commonly just left a revolver on top of a hutch or someplace only I could reach, calling it my "5 second gun". After reading discussion on DC about a 3 second situation and a 5 second gun, I re-thunk my EDC for silly things like mowing the lawn, I have at least my Ruger LCP in my pocket.

Un-pause

As I ran for my son, my wife was bursting out the door for my daughter and my hand was on my LCP in my back pocket. The dog stopped 8 feet away, distracted by my koi pond and a couple 12 year-olds hopped over the fence and snagged the leashless dog and were out of there before I even had a chance to ask why the dog was not leashed. Since I know one of the boys (former student) I'll mention it to dad. I'm sure it was accidental and the dog escaped on them.

Whole scene transpired in mere seconds and was over before one could blink.

For those of your dog lovers, I know 90% of the time this lab would have likely licked my kids to death and not harmed them but one very vivid childhood memory of a Chocolate lab I'd known my entire life is burned into me. I nearly lost my hand when reaching to pet that old friend. Apparently he'd gone a bit off and was put down very shortly thereafter.

So thank you for the realization that a 5 second gun is useless in a 3 second situation and that I'm not being paranoid for mowing my lawn in shorts and carrying my LCP just in case. Today was all the proof I'll need.

JIm

2. Remove Ads

No criticism here. If I'm awake, I always have at least my LCP in my pocket.
    Lone_Gunman likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

A lab is the last dog in a line of dogs that would ever bite anyone. your fear is real and I am not saying don't be on guard but those dogs are the most docile in the dog world
    smolck and gasmitty like this.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    A lab is the last dog in a line of dogs that would ever bite anyone. your fear is real and I am not saying don't be on guard but those dogs are the most docile in the dog world
    Labs are my favorite breed of dogs but you never know. My cousin was attacked by one when he was little.

I know they are, but the Chocolate was off his rocker. Really scared the poop out of me. His head came around so fast and the snap of his jaw sent saliva spraying on my hand that escaped his teeth by mere centimeters. I'm not trying the breed here, but with any dog, I'd urge caution. Used it as a lesson for my 4 year old. Asked her if she was scared of the dog, she said she wanted to pet it. Then I explained that you never touch a dog without consulting the owner and since this one had escaped, we didn't know if it was friendly or not.
    Bark'n likes this.

That's the beauty of the LCP. It's so easy to conceal and carry that it can go almost anywhere.

Not the most potent caliber but it's better than nothing.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    That's the beauty of the LCP.
    Ruger should change their marketing to say ".380 may be weak, but it'll stop old yeller when he turns rabid"

Don't you read enough on the Internet!? The weak 380 round would have merely bounced off of the mutts thick hide, further enraging him...

Okay sarcasm off!! As others have said this is the true beauty of the LCP. It's like the American express card... Don't leave home without it.

There was also a video floating around of an Lcp loaded with gold dots penetrating a hog head and still blasting through three water jugs... Simply amazing to have that amount of power in your pocket.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Breed does not matter! A stray dog running at family is all that matters. Respond according to size and signs of aggression.

It's about the owner, not the breed.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    That's the beauty of the LCP. It's so easy to conceal and carry that it can go almost anywhere.

Not the most potent caliber but it's better than nothing.
    I quite agree but damn if it isn't the easiest thing I've ever tossed in a pocket...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Breed does not matter! A stray dog running at family is all that matters. Respond according to size and signs of aggression.

It's about the owner, not the breed.
    I'm going to have to go with the part I highlighted. If a dog is coming at me I will take more time to assess whether or not the dog is a threat. On the other hand the same dog is attacking a defenseless loved one I would be quicker to pull the trigger. I would be much less forgiving of the animals behavior.

Michael

Glad it was a non event that instilled the need for the "anytime, anywhere" fact. Nothing wrong wit the LCP, or caliber for a pocket pistol IMO. If one can put the round where it counts, it should give pause to whatever plagues you.......
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Back to the OP. That is a tough call on what to do and how to react in a very short decision making window. You said at about 8 feet you had your hand on your LCP in your pocket. If the animal was still charging you did not have seconds. You had less than one. Now if you draw you have a charging animal just about on top of your kid(s) or already on top. By this time it might be hard or impossible to take a shot. I am in no way critiquing your actions. You are wise to carry when outdoors. I am just pointing out that sometimes an aggressor can be on you in no time flat. That is why I always adovate for H to H training. I had a go around with a bear about 3 weeks ago
    Bear attack
    I am glad you are safe and the kids.

VIP Member
    But they are an animal, and as such are unpredictable. Better safe than sorry.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

A co-worker of mine had an elderly father home sleeping on the couch when a 400Lb black bear came thru screen door. It was aggressive (probably looking for food), the old man dropped it in the living room with his 44 mag revolver. No charges filed. Point is having a firearm handy for other reasons other than two legged vermin makes perfect sense.Our main reason for a 12 ga with rifled sights loaded down with slugs. If a dog or other attacks a family member outside it'd be preferable to be able to connect fast.A pistol under these circumstances may be inadequate imho..
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links