Gun vs. Knife

This is a discussion on Gun vs. Knife within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; “Don’t Bring a Gun to a Knifefight?” Sure, you better bring a gun, bring a clear mind and the will to act so you don’t ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun vs. Knife

Sponsor

Gun vs. Knife

“Don’t Bring a Gun to a Knifefight?”

Sure, you better bring a gun, bring a clear mind and the will to act so you don’t get cut.

Yes, I know. The old joke is about "don’t bring a knife to a gunfight."

This is no joke as you’ll see here: http://tinyurl.com/l8yk9 *WARNING* - Not for the squeamish.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I took a semester-long self-defense/handgun course at my school. Our professor showed us these pictures to show us the danger of hesitation. Baaaaaaad ju-ju.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

BGs armed with knives worry me more than BGs armed with guns.

If I had to choose being shot or stabbed, I'd probably take shot.

While we're tossin' around clichés there's always; "Rule #1 of a knife fight; you WILL get cut."

Knife Fight Rules?...

#1. I will get cut
    #2. I may get cut...but you won't be cutting anyone else...ever!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Daaaaaaamn! Those are some pretty nasty knife wounds. I think he needs some stiches there. Seriously though - thats pretty harsh, definately something to think about.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    #1. I will get cut
    #2. I may get cut...but you won't be cutting anyone else...ever!

ret
    Not if you get cut in the right place. If you get caught in the jugular, you will be too worried about the high-velocity blood shooting out of your neck to do much of anything to anyone.

#1 I won't get cut.
    #2 If you look like you might cut me, you won't know what hit you.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

As a nurse, I've seen some really bad stab wounds. As soon as you see a knife, all bets are off, start shooting. People are really fast with blades, if you think RL is the movies you are going to butchered fast, so be first and really open up.

Lowflyer and Mass-Diver...

have better rules...I'm changing!

Rule #1. If I see a knife...the lead will fly until the threat stops!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    All I can say is "Wow."
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I got stabbed in the back once. It really hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    I got stabbed in the back once. It really hurts.

I don't think your ex-girlfriend counts, unfortunately.

Yeah, I see knife, you see Hydro-shoks, like 11 of them.

Before you criticize a man, first walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.

Trouble is if he's any good you won't be given the chance to draw. You won't even see a weapon untill it's way to late and you'd better have some unarmed tactics to use.

BTW, few knife fighters who know what their about will go for a jugular. I'ts a much harder spot to hit in a fight and surrounded with alot of muscle. There are far easier arteries to hit in the groin and arms. Mostly I was trained to take out critical tendons first. If you can't move your arm, you can't draw your weapon. Most prison trained cutters these days go for the "sewing machine" attack. Look all innocent untill they're within arms reach and dive in, grab you pinning your right arm and then stab as fast as they can as many times as they can. Not pretty.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    We all need to remember that the knife fighters weapon is only as long as his arm plus the length of the blade. This is what we have going for us.

What he has going for him is surprise and his mindset. The BG with the blade will not start the open threat when he is 15yds away. He will wear a smile and be making friendly jestures as he closes on you. When he gets in your face, it would NOT be in his interest to take even one step back,so plan for this. NEVER turn your back on him. Try to determine which hand the threat will come from. This will be a HUGE advantage when the attack starts. Move offline as you would a BG with a firearm. DO NOT attempt a Weaver stance(or other) full draw. Keep your firearm very close to you and start shooting.(this is not the time to be carring a ported .44 mag.)

He will(should) have his hand on his blade already. This will be in the pocket of his clothing or behind his back. The big,floppy,hooded sweatshirts,and the like,are "famous" for this. The ones with the big reach thru pockets just above belt level.

My friends and I try to train for this type of stuff quite often. We feel that this will be one of the bigger threats. We also feel that we will get seriously injured in this manner far easier than we will in a shooting. Problem is this. In the world that we live in,how do you keep everybody away from you ?? You can't. So we train to look for certin "tells". We train this way with each other.

Understand the BG. Train with the "BG". Win over the BG.

If a threat is accross the room with a visable firearm,the decission for us is easy. Someone walking up to us smileing,and asking for a cigarette is something else. --------

Quote Originally Posted by Muddspufin View Post
    I don't think your ex-girlfriend counts, unfortunately.
    You are correct. Then again, I wasn't dating the angry Mexican dude with the knife, so I'm not quite sure I understand where you are coming from.

If someone is rapidly closing in on you from 25ft, with knife in hand. You most likely not be able to drew your handgun, in time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links