Waffle house robbery

This is a discussion on Waffle house robbery within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Heres the story my question follows the story: NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Police said armed robbers burst into a Waffle House Wednesday night and robbed not ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waffle house robbery

Waffle house robbery

Heres the story my question follows the story:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Police said armed robbers burst into a Waffle House Wednesday night and robbed not only the restaurant, but customers, too.

Police said four men wearing bandanas over their faces ordered everyone inside to get on the floor, then two of them went to the cash register.

Police said fter the robbers got what was in the register, they robbed three of the restaurants patrons at gunpoint.

One victim said he tried to run into the bathroom when he saw the men enter, but one followed him.

“They took my wallet, money, my driver’s license, credit card…” he said.

Police said after the robbery, the men left the Waffle House and ran toward Briley Parkway where they think a car may have been waiting for a getaway.

Police also said this robbery may not have been the men’s first one.

“We have seen a handful of Waffle House-type restaurants robbed over the past few weeks. We do suspect the four persons involved in last night's robbery are also involved in the other situations,” said Don Aaron, spokesman for the police department.

Even though the ordeal was frightening, the victim said, thankfully, no shots were fired.

“Thank God no one got hurt. It was a very scary situation,” he said.

Police said the robbers may have been looking for an establishment that was empty at that time of night, but 11 people witnessed the robbery.

Ok so for my question: If you were faced with this situation would you open fire when the suspect pointed his gun in your direction or would you be worried about liability and safety risk of hitting someone else or starting a bigger scene then it already developed into?
    Please don't reply..."I don't eat at waffle house... I am never out at night" etc.
    My concern is that I would feel threatned and in fear for my life, but I want to approach this situation intelligently to be prepared for it later on. Honestly I would take the fire exit out (if possible) but that is not an option here. You are faced with, get a gun stuck in your face or shoot the BG. What would you do?

2. Remove Ads

Unfortunately there are 4 bad guys, more than one is armed according to the article, not just 1. Also 10 other innocent people. I don't think risking a shootout would be in order unless they had already shot someone and were heading for me next. Then all bets are off. I think I would hold off shooting given the exact circumstances noted in the article.
    Last edited by havegunjoe; September 8th, 2006 at 03:19 PM.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

How many of the attackers have guns? If more than one attacker has a gun then its time to cough up the loot unless you genuinly feel using deadly force is the only option for your or your family's safety (only you know when that is). Even if you drill all the time about encoutering multiple targets the risk of one of your or more likely one of the BG's stray rounds hurting someone is too great. If there's one gunman and no way out then all bets are off.

VIP Member
    How about just a little more info...........

Are all the BGs armed (& with what)?

Where are the people located? Are they in the line of fire? Have they been ordered to the floor?

Where are BGs located?

My point is, it all depends on the situation. Am I in a situation that could be swiftly concluded by intervention? -OR- Am I at a severe tactical disadvantage that will end badly?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Too many BGs, too many bystanders. If more than one gun, chances are too great for this to end up very badly if I draw my weapon and start to shoot. As long as they don't start shooting first, my wallet comes out before my gun does. If they start to fire at employees or patrons, well then I would return fire and hope that my training is better than theirs, or at least I would hope that God likes me better on that particular night.

MikeV
    Last edited by MIKEV; September 8th, 2006 at 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling

yeah, unfortunately the news is not a reliable source for good info, but my inclinations are the ones you guys have stated. I probably would have my gun drawn, but keep it out of sight...just in case.

If one follows you into the restroom..............and you roll his head out like a bowling ball...........don't make another move or sound...........the others are likely to leave.

Seriously, you'd either have to open up the moment you saw them coming in, or roll with it.

VIP Member
    The problem you have is your method of carry and how it relates to your wallet if the BGs are the ones removing the wallets.

I know one method of carry I use would be discovered by a BG getting my wallet out. This would not be a good thing anyway you slice it. They are now better armed if they let you live, or they assume you are a LEO and shoot you in the back of the head.

A very bad wrinkle for this scenario.

As for what would I do? Well that would be highly dependent on a lot of variables not articulated in the article.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Lead Moderator
    4 Guys, "X" number armed, and your weapon in it's holster. Sounds like you have a death wish if you try and pull it. Best course of action is probably hope they don't find out you are armed.

Now, if you are the guy that made it to the bathroom......... Even odds for starts, might have to think on that one.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

If you're talking about this Waffle House, they have a corporate policy against allowing CCW ... if you eat at the Waffle House you're gun is not going to be with you so aside from accepting the risks involved with eating their food, you're also going to have to accept the risk that they'll be armed while you're there.

The ones around here also have "Cash Only" signs on the door ... anyone else thing "No CCW Allowed" + "Cash Only" is a stupid equation?

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I don't think I would draw. As long as they don't hurt anyone then I don't think it would benefit anyone. As well, there is a very likely chance that someone - other than the BG's - is going to get seriously hurt. I'm not Samuel L Jackson and I'm not in a Quinten Tarantino flick.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    If you're talking about this Waffle House, they have a corporate policy against allowing CCW ... if you eat at the Waffle House you're gun is not going to be with you so aside from accepting the risks involved with eating their food, you're also going to have to accept the risk that they'll be armed while you're there.
    The most they can do in PA if I am made is to ask me to leave. If I leave when asked, no criminal ramifications for me. IF it became known I had a CCW (whilst felony is occurring), I think everybody would be too busy to ask me to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge View Post
    The ones around here also have "Cash Only" signs on the door ... anyone else thing "No CCW Allowed" + "Cash Only" is a stupid equation?
    It is almost like a watering hole in the Serengeti plains where all the prey animals congregate to drink the water. And all the predators just pick them off at will.

Anyway, this situation is a conundrum. Noone knows if they are going to shoot and noone knows who gets shot first. Plus, multiple adversaries and multiple innocents. It's a darned if you do, darned if you don't situation.

Well, without the proper sign I will ignore their corporate policy and go in armed anyway. I don't usually eat their, but my GF like to so once and a while I give in.

On a side note...I beleive that it is difficult for one to make decisions about situations when one is not present and faced with the same emotions and actions.

VIP Member

After clicking on the link Zundfolge provided...

(Sarcasm on) Gee, do you think if I entered their "Why I love Waffle House" contest and said I feel so safe since they don't allow CCW, I'd win the prize? (Sarcasm off)

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    The most they can do in PA if I am made is to ask me to leave. If I leave when asked, no criminal ramifications for me. IF it became known I had a CCW (whilst felony is occurring), I think everybody would be too busy to ask me to leave.
    Same thing here in Colorado ... however I try to make it a practice not to line the pockets of anti-gun bigots.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links