Man, 23, shot in stomach in Oakland robbery attempt

This is a discussion on Man, 23, shot in stomach in Oakland robbery attempt within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; News Video On WebSite ~~~> http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/...jured-2/nN4CN/ OAKLAND, Pa. — Police are investigating a shooting in Oakland Friday morning that injured two people. Investigators said a ...

Thread: Man, 23, shot in stomach in Oakland robbery attempt

Administrator

Man, 23, shot in stomach in Oakland robbery attempt

News Video On WebSite ~~~> http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/...jured-2/nN4CN/
    OAKLAND, Pa. —
    Police are investigating a shooting in Oakland Friday morning that injured two people.

Investigators said a 23-year-old victim from Morningside was walking outside of a McDonald's on Forbes Avenue with friends when he was confronted by Jason Woodall, 18, of McKees Rocks.

Investigators said Woodall went to his car and retrieved a .40 caliber handgun after noticing a bracelet on the victim.

At that point, police said he pulled out the gun and tried to steal the bracelet off of the victim.

That's when investigators said the victim pulled out a legally registered and licensed 9mm handgun and both men exchanged shots. (Victim had a PA. LTCC)

Police said the victim was shot once in the chest and collapsed.

Officers said Woodall ran from the scene to Oakland Avenue and tried to hide under a parked car.

Pittsburgh police said a University of Pittsburgh police officer saw Woodall hiding and took him into custody.

The victim was taken to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital where he's listed in critical condition.

Family members identified the victim as 23-year-old Cory Gorman.

Woodall remains in the Allegheny County Jail on criminal attempt homicide, aggravated assault, robbery, carrying a firearm without a license and receiving stolen property charges.

At this point, police said Gorman (the good guy) does not face any charges.

The case remains under investigation and will be reviewed by the Allegheny County District Attorney's office.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

It just goes to show that the good guy isn't guaranteed to win just because he/she has a gun. Mindset, resolve and being able to hit your target is what wins gunfights.

I hope he recovers. Being shot in the chest isn't conducive to living a long healthy life.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I used to live a few miles from there in Edgewood near Regent Square but spent a lot of time in Oakland at the Beehive coffee shop. Sad that things like this have to happen but good for the victim not complying.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Hope the victim makes it and the shooter goes to jail for a very, very long time.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    At that point, police said he pulled out the gun and tried to steal the bracelet off of the victim.

That's when investigators said the victim pulled out a legally registered and licensed 9mm handgun and both men exchanged shots.
    Any time one is facing a gun your first effort should be not to get shot yourself. Have you trained and practice something that helps in that act?

Hope the GG recovers.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Had a similar thing happen to me, but I didn't have a gun on me… So, I had to use his. ;)

I completely understand that you can't outdraw a gun already pointed at you and I'm a huge advocate of hand to hand and edged weapon training for this reason. Unfortunately, I'm just happy to hear when someone on the forum mentions advanced training (not just the CHL class)! At least this guy was carrying. Maybe once he recovers he'll realize the importance of gaining control of the other weapon before drawing your own.

A lot of very good training out there.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Links