magazine disconnect

This is a discussion on magazine disconnect within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I am not a fan of a gun with a magizine disconnect I was thinking there could be an upside...Say you had to draw ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: magazine disconnect

magazine disconnect

Well I am not a fan of a gun with a magizine disconnect I was thinking there could be an upside...Say you had to draw on a BG and he somehow grabs your wrist and you are struggling for the gun. Well if you could reach your mag release and drop the mag and than the gun and draw your BUG than it could be a lifesaver. Just a thought what do you guys think?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmHP View Post
    Well I am not a fan of a gun with a magizine disconnect I was thinking there could be an upside...Say you had to draw on a BG and he somehow grabs your wrist and you are struggling for the gun. Well if you could reach your mag release and drop the mag and than the gun and draw your BUG than it could be a lifesaver. Just a thought what do you guys think?
    Seems like a lot of convolutions to rationalize something I can do without nicely.
    Chevyguy85 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

someones watching to much TV to think that is even an option

Sure. But then, you might also look to coat your firearm with an anti-conductive substance, such that if an electric eel wrapped itself around your gun, you could still fire it without risk of incurring a shock. Hey - could happen, right?
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I know of a LEO in the same county I work in, who had the OP scenario happen to him. The BG attempted to take his gun, he dropped the mag before the BG got it, and he saved his own life because the weapon was unable to be fired. I prefer weapons without a magazine disconnect, however, I can see pros/cons for both sides.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmHP View Post
    I think that the above scenario works both ways.

I know of one officer stabbed due to a magazine disconnect. I'd pass on carrying a gun with one or bypass that particular feature.

Once I take off the safety I want the gun to go boom when I pull the trigger.

Michael

Mas Ayoob has commented on the mag disconnect feature, and how it can be a lifesaver during an attempted gun grab... much as certain safeties. Both add a measure of "proprietary knowledge of the gun" which the random, non-gun-wise BG may not be aware of. However, I think the notion was raised only as part of a theroretical discussion.

I think the ability to fire the gun without its mag is a far more likely life-saver than a mag safety, though.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

What if during the attempted gun grab the BG drops your mag and you are able to wrestle you gun back and now because of the mag disconnect feature you are unable to fire your weapon in said situation.

It works both ways but I personally prefer for my gun to go bang whenever I pull the trigger.
    1 gun 1 reload 1 knife
    If 27 .40cal Hornady Critical Defense cant save me, only God can.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Mas Ayoob has commented on the mag disconnect feature, and how it can be a lifesaver during an attempted gun grab... much as certain safeties. Both add a measure of "proprietary knowledge of the gun" which the random, non-gun-wise BG may not be aware of. However, I think the notion was raised only as part of a theroretical discussion.

I think the ability to fire the gun without its mag is a far more likely life-saver than a mag safety, though.
    Mas has commented on this several times over the years. IIRC, he commented that statistics showed having a magazine disconnect has saved more officers lives by being able to dump the mag and render the gun inoperable during gun grabs; than the number of times not having a magazine disconnect saved an officer by being able to fire the chambered round when they were rushed by an attacker during the middle of a mag change.

Just my two cents. I don't have an opinion one way or another, but I will say, I don't own any guns that have a magazine disconnect.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Well guys you laugh but that was one of the intended purposes, according to LE marketing, years and years ago.

The officer was involved in a struggle hits the mag release either dropping the mag entirely or just enough to activate the disconnect and the suspect could not fire the weapon. There were I believe two actual cases involving S&W 59's if I remember right. Both situations ended with the officer drawing a BUG and shooting the suspects.
    The same type marketing stated that if you carried a traditional DA/SA firearm that with the safety engaged that if the suspect gained control of your weapon the would not be able to figure out how to release the safety giving you time to draw a BUG or end the confrontation another way. It did not take long for BG's to figure out the safety features.
    Another feature told to LE was that no longer would you have to put your weapon in the lockbox simply drop the mag rendering the weapon useless and put the mag in the box. It took about a 10 seconds to realize that there were still mags on your belt that could be used against you.

The Hi Power's mag disconnect was at the time touted as a modern marvel so to speak. I ussually have them removed as it improves the trigger greatly on that particular model of handgun. The mag disconnects do make "sense" I guess if you store your weapon say with kids around. You could chamber a round, remove the mag and the weapon is entirely safe and would again be operational by simply inserting a mag the only thing it would eliminate would be racking the slide to chamber a round. In a self defense situation should you be caught off guard in the middle of a reload or should you lose or drop your mag and have no spares you are screwed.
    HotGuns likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Senior Moderator
    There are several cases of Cops being saved by magazine disconnects, as well as Cop being killed because of them.

As for me, I have NO use for them.

A gun that must have a magazine in to work, is not my idea of a good thing, without the mag its not even a good paperweight.
    tacman605 likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    The S&W Model 41 .22LR (a fantastic, accurate, fun, target gun) - it has a magazine disconnect and it does not really bother me because I know it's there but, I personally would not want one on any firearm that I carried for self defense.

VIP Member
    Wouldn't it be easier to pull a BUG than to try and hit a magazine disconnect during a fight?
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

And all this time I thought that these disconnects were brought about by people taking out the magazine then shooting themselves or someone else with the weapon they just unloaded.

Michael

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links