Shot at while driving

This is a discussion on Shot at while driving within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you were armed, what would you do? Michigan State Police investigate shooting along Interstate 94 in Detroit early Sunday morning p.s. I drove right ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Shot at while driving

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

Shot at while driving

If you were armed, what would you do?

Michigan State Police investigate shooting along Interstate 94 in Detroit early Sunday morning

p.s. I drove right by this spot on Sunday, Mother's Day.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

2. Remove Ads

Probably slammed on my brakes and called 911...if they also stopped I would have no other choice but be forced to defend myself by any means available including deadly force.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

I can't stop them from doing it but I bet I will break them from making a habit out of it

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Personally, I think I'd keep driving while dialing, noting the mile-marker and any details I can while heading the other direction. I'd rather be a live witness than a dead hero. If the a$$clown is dumb enough to get in the way, I'd likely have a new hood ornament for my Jeep.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    Personally, I think I'd keep driving while dialing, noting the mile-marker and any details I can while heading the other direction. I'd rather be a live witness than a dead hero. If the a$$clown is dumb enough to get in the way, I'd likely have a new hood ornament for my Jeep.
    I guess I'd be afraid they'd keep driving next to me while shooting...did I read that wrong, was it a bystander that shot at them or someone from another vehicle?
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Shots were from a vehicle he passed going the same direction.

Pretty sure the surprise and shock would make me pull over, at least just long enough to take inventory. And at the same time watching the other truck. After that would depend alot on how bad I was hurt. I would call it lucky to be ok after that chances are they were trying to do more than hurt someone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashoften View Post
    Pretty sure the surprise and shock would make me pull over, at least just long enough to take inventory. And at the same time watching the other truck. After that would depend alot on how bad I was hurt. I would call it lucky to be ok after that chances are they were trying to do more than hurt someone.
    That would be my reaction also; if I am ok I would probably try to keep them in sight while calling 911 and relaying their position.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    So little info it's hard to say for sure. If he was going slow and showing no signs of speeding up to catch me, note details about the truck as I'm hitting the gas. If he is speeding up to pursue? I don't know man, any combination of evasion and agression that seems most likely to succeed at getting away or ending the confrontation. I don't think I would get into a driving gun battle. I am thinking drive, or stop and shoot. I'm not good enough at either to do both at the same time effectively.
    Walk softly ...

Story sounds fishy. I bet something provoked the shot. Hard to say what I would do. I would want to put distance between myself and the offender. I would do this either by rapidly braking - allowing them to drive away, or slowing and performing the PIT maneuver taking the offender off the road allowing for my escape.

What I would do depends on what the truck was doing. Was it driving on or stopping. People like that usually would drive on...being the gutless cowards they are. I would stop...call 911 and be prepared for further assault. There would be no rolling gun fight. I have no illusions of being a "action hero". If they stopped or came back...I would be prepared to use lethal force to protect myself or if I found a opening to drive away...I would. I sure wouldn't "play" with any PIT maneuver.

As far as what the guy did to "deserve" this. It doesn't have to be anything. There was a older man in the KC Metro area who was shot dead while he was jogging. It is being called a "random" killing.

Then we have two different people killed in Mississippi by a guy they think is posing as a LEO.

The way things are going it is just delusional to think that "nothing like that can happen to me because I don't bother anyone".

It is a "break down" of our society. Best thing to do is be prepared for it as much as one can.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

A two ton vehicle is a better weapon than a 2lb pistol firing a 230gr projectile. I'm always armed when on the road. One way or another.

Shooting from a moving vehicle is hard, and thats when you aren't the driver.

Shooting from a vehicle while driving sounds ludicrously difficult, and I am pretty sure the skill sets of both would be impaired greatly.

Utilize your vehicle to get away, and call 911.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Shooting from a vehicle while driving sounds ludicrously difficult, and I am pretty sure the skill sets of both would be impaired greatly.
    - It's actually really easy. You just need the right car.

honor_01.jpg
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I actually ran into a bullet that was fired from a rest area. I was on I-75 heading to a distant service call at 5am. I saw a car in the rest area (about 50 yards from me) with only the inside lights. About the time I got even with the car it sounded like a bomb with off in my truck and this weird circular crack appeared on my windshield, there was what looked like a pencil mark in the middle of it.
    Thank goodness the road was straight for I ducked down for about quarter mile. Was 20 miles to the next exit before I could call the police. That was a very very long 20 miles, for I was watching for that car to come up behind me the whole way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links