Pranksters Lucky no CCW holder was around

This is a discussion on Pranksters Lucky no CCW holder was around within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For arguments sake. Do folks normally comply with all orders? If they had ordered the customers to hop around on one leg, or stay where ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Pranksters Lucky no CCW holder was around

For arguments sake. Do folks normally comply with all orders? If they had ordered the customers to hop around on one leg, or stay where they are, or do the chicken dance would it be different? You can be shot in any of those positions just as easily as you can be shot when you are laying on the ground.

The article said the kids hands were in their pockets, it didn't indicate if it was in the pants pockets or hoodie pocket or other. The article says nothing about them threatening robbery, assault, or any other actions. It doesn't say they asked for anything, but simply one counted people on the floor while the other two ran away. It doesn't say if some people decided not to get on the floor. Maybe half of the people got on the floor and half sat and ate their lunch, we don't know.

I am not trying to downplay the incident, but where was the threat?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

They are lucky... very lucky.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I hate law suits but this did come to my mind. Everyone in the establishment when this happened should seek medical care for the stress it caused them. Then go after the kids and their parents in court to recover the costs.

Michael

AFA "where's the threat", if you give the perception you have a gun (pointing finger in jacket pocket) that perceived threat is considered real. If the people in Subway were getting on the floor, they obviously perceived that the kids had at least one gun. Even if they didn't ask for anything, creating a threat and ordering people on the ground is the same as kidnapping (restricting their movement). If I was in the store and didn't take them out, I'd damn sure be filing charges on my own. Even if the DA didn't follow through, I'm sure it would bring some reality to the parents and kids on the seriousness of the situation.
    msgt/ret and JDE101 like this.

Ironically, in an area we go shopping in a lot. Dumb ... really dumb. They are very lucky ... there wasn't a CC person there, or plains clothes officer.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Had someone gotten shot by a ccw holder the media would have gone nuts and used that to promote their anti-gun agenda and especially ccw in general. They would have linked this with the Zimmerman case and rolled with it for days.

Just the way it is.

I've got 18 "Urban Skittles" on tap, all made of lead. Not a very fruity flavor and kind of hard on the teeth.

They are lucky they didn't get a belly full.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I can handle holdup and home defense scenarios, but it's stories like this that scare the crap outta me. I would know in my head that I was justified in taking them down, but I'd never be able to live with myself.

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    I can handle holdup and home defense scenarios, but it's stories like this that scare the crap outta me. I would know in my head that I was justified in taking them down, but I'd never be able to live with myself.
    Don't say that. There is one question to ask yourself....Do I believe there is a creditable threat to my life and family.
    Those young men came in displaying like they were armed and demanded that all hit the floor. Drawing and shooting these "pranksters" would not been a stretch. There are plenty of incidents where killing the people on the floor was next.
    It would have been tragic for the young men and their families, but anyone who felt they needed to defend themselves and their family should never feel like they would "never be able to live" with themselves. It was the "trickster's" choice to play this dangerous game...they were the only ones who knew it was a prank.
    archer51, JDE101 and bigdog44 like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    For arguments sake. Do folks normally comply with all orders? If they had ordered the customers to hop around on one leg, or stay where they are, or do the chicken dance would it be different? You can be shot in any of those positions just as easily as you can be shot when you are laying on the ground.

The article said the kids hands were in their pockets, it didn't indicate if it was in the pants pockets or hoodie pocket or other. The article says nothing about them threatening robbery, assault, or any other actions. It doesn't say they asked for anything, but simply one counted people on the floor while the other two ran away. It doesn't say if some people decided not to get on the floor. Maybe half of the people got on the floor and half sat and ate their lunch, we don't know.

I am not trying to downplay the incident, but where was the threat?
    The threat was created when they made the appearance of an armed robber. By those actions a reasonable person would believe a robbery was in progress.

In response to your statement "Do folks normally comply with all orders?" When someone is actually committing a robbery or "pranking" one, most will comply with the robbers orders. If indeed it is just a robbery not obeying can lead to bodily injury or death. And yes you can still be shot for complying but one stands a better chance of being shot for not complying.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Hope this trendy game ends when the next pranksters try it in "Gunny's Diner"

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The victims had no idea this was a prank, the little criminals deserve to be charged and tried for armed robbery.
    How can you charge someone with armed robbery when they didn't rob anyone?

False public alarm would fit, it's a felony.

Too bad there isn't any law against stupidity, but you can't charge them with armed robbery unless they actually rob the place.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

Quote Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post

Too bad there isn't any law against stupidity, but you can't charge them with armed robbery unless they actually rob the place.

I see it as a case of INTENT. They intended to make the customers think it was a armed robbery, which they did. You don't have to actually be armed to commit armed robbery...your victims just have to BELIEVE you are armed.

Here is another one. They used the threat of violent to get these innocent people to comply through fear. Charge them with terrorist threat too. They deserve much more than a pat on the butt and a hour in the corner.
    archer51 and JDE101 like this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

You can be charged and CONVICTED for armed robbery if you are not actually armed but make the victim(s) think that you are. So making people think they were robbing the place and that they were armed should be enough for armed robbery charges IMHO.
    Spirit51, msgt/ret and JDE101 like this.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    "Attempted armed robbery" is a felony, isn't it?

Change this to trying the same stunt in a bank.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links