Pranksters Lucky no CCW holder was around

This is a discussion on Pranksters Lucky no CCW holder was around within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by thehustleman How can you charge someone with armed robbery when they didn't rob anyone? False public alarm would fit, it's a felony. ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Pranksters Lucky no CCW holder was around

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
    How can you charge someone with armed robbery when they didn't rob anyone?

False public alarm would fit, it's a felony.

Too bad there isn't any law against stupidity, but you can't charge them with armed robbery unless they actually rob the place.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*
    Under North Carolina law they can be charged for armed robbery by implying they have a weapon whether it is displayed or not.

Article 17.

Robbery.

14‑87. Robbery with firearms or other dangerous weapons.

(a) Any person or persons who, having in possession or with the use or threatened use of any firearms or other dangerous weapon, implement or means, whereby the life of a person is endangered or threatened, unlawfully takes or attempts to take personal property from another or from any place of business, residence or banking institution or any other place where there is a person or persons in attendance, at any time, either day or night, or who aids or abets any such person or persons in the commission of such crime, shall be guilty of a Class D felony.

(b), (c) Repealed by Session Laws 1979, c. 760, s. 5.

(d) Repealed by Session Laws 1993, c. 539, s. 1173. (1929, c. 187, s. 1; 1975, cc. 543, 846; 1977, c. 871, ss. 1, 6; 1979, c. 760, s. 5; 1979, 2nd Sess., c. 1316, ss. 12, 47; 1981, c. 63, s. 1, c. 179, s. 14; 1993, c. 539, s. 1173; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thehustleman View Post
    How can you charge someone with armed robbery when they didn't rob anyone?

False public alarm would fit, it's a felony.

Too bad there isn't any law against stupidity, but you can't charge them with armed robbery unless they actually rob the place.

^^^^^^^So in your world^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you are walking down a dimly lit desolate street, and a REAL armed robber tries to hold you up, has you on the ground, and you are ALMOST handing your wallet over to him, when all of a sudden a patrol car rolls by and he bolts, without actually getting your wallet, your all good with letting him off, because he didn't actually get anything?

That is a silly notion in my book.

They should be charged with attempted armed robbery, and reckless endangerment to the public, whatever the heck that is,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    Here's how I'd play this game: Punk comes into establishment, starts screaming, "get down on the floor!" I'd take cover and reduce my profile, drawing my weapon and indexing at a downward angle, trying to get a fix on what the BG is holding.

As in the videos, once it becomes apparent that the punk is unarmed, we play a new game, called "get on the floor." Then we play the 911 game, and the officers with handcuffs game.
    ducatirider and Bubbiesdad like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Those kids should be charged with armed robbery. They are lucky that someone inside the shop didn't play a game of count the lead with them.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    "Attempted armed robbery" is a felony, isn't it?

Change this to trying the same stunt in a bank.
    But they didn't try, they were playing a prank.

There isn't any intent or an attempt.

It was a stupid prank, but if you didn't actually arm anyone, it makes no sense to charge with armed robbery.

It's better to prevent a crime, than to punish it.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^So in your world^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you are walking down a dimly lit desolate street, and a REAL armed robber tries to hold you up, has you on the ground, and you are ALMOST handing your wallet over to him, when all of a sudden a patrol car rolls by and he bolts, without actually getting your wallet, your all good with letting him off, because he didn't actually get anything?

That is a silly notion in my book.

They should be charged with attempted armed robbery, and reckless endangerment to the public, whatever the heck that is,
    That's different

He was trying to rob but the cop pulled up.

In this story, they simply ordered everyone on the ground, and then left.

In what world is that an attempt?

They made no move to take anything or hurt anyone. There's no intent to rob, if it was they would have ATTEMPTED to take something.
    Since when do people trying to do something just walk away when they have the opportunity to do it?

Charge them with false public alarm, inciting panic, whatever, but attempted armed robbery is silly because they didn't attempt an armed robbery.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Next time Obama is in town run up into his town hall meeting with your hand in your pocket and yell "everyone on the floor" and see what happens. Same should happen if you do it in a Subway.
    nedrgr21, Crowman and oneshot like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Next time Obama is in town run up into his town hall meeting with your hand in your pocket and yell "everyone on the floor" and see what happens. Same should happen if you do it in a Subway.

Never said they shouldn't be charged with anything, just said armed robbery isn't the charge, nor it's attempted armed robbery because they didn't try to rob anyone

Charge them with everything including armed robbery and let a jury of their peers decide. There is a price for stupid...time for them to pay up.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Under North Carolina law they can be charged for armed robbery by implying they have a weapon whether it is displayed or not.
    But they aren't in NC or any other state. They are in KS. KS Statutes: Ch 21 Article 34: Crimes Against Persons

It will be interesting to see what if any charges are brought against the kids.
    Last edited by farronwolf; May 21st, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I'm a pretty young guy, and I gotta say that the things that people my age do for 'fun' is just idiotic.

You could choose to be a productive member of society, or you could do this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirider View Post
    I'm a pretty young guy, and I gotta say that the things that people my age do for 'fun' is just idiotic.

You could choose to be a productive member of society, or you could do this crap.

Yep.

Too bad there isn't a law against chronic stupidity

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    To prove robbery you must prove criminal intent. There is a huge difference between an attempted robbery that didn't get finished because the popo rolled up on the scene, and somebody running into a store and yelling "get down", no weapon on the person (much less displayed), no attempt to do anything else but laugh and run off.
    "People who take an Internet handle of a great warrior, are usually the first to go fetal when crunch time comes." - Me

Many state "Good thing there wasn't any CCW around" ...Matter of fact OP title this thread that...I didn't see where it said there wasn't any CCW permit holders at the subway? Maybe there were CCW holders there but they had the precence of mind and, the situational awareness to not immediately draw and start firing... Do you all assume that had you been there you would have drawn and fired? I can see the headline now:

" Vigilante shoots and kills multiple unarmed teenagers playing Prank"

These kids were out of line no doubt, many people are right extremely angry...but Do you REALLY think you would want to be the one who shoot these kids dead? Dealt with the media crush, the criminal charges that most certainly would have been brought, the devastation to your family and finances, face these kid's families in court for their wrongful death suit against you and carry the personal weight of have killed a couple teenager who were playing, however ill advised, a prank?

Carrying a weapon is an awesome responsibility. Part of the responsibility is being wise enough to know when to shoot and when not to.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Then the lesson would be: assume it's a prank unless a weapon is shown? I guess the bottom line is: Did you truly fear for your life, and would a jury think the same? I suspect so.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links