I felt oblivious

I felt oblivious

This is a discussion on I felt oblivious within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work 10-7 today. I'm still in bed at 8:30 and wake up to my dog baring and howling. He's the type of dog that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: I felt oblivious

I felt oblivious

I work 10-7 today. I'm still in bed at 8:30 and wake up to my dog baring and howling. He's the type of dog that will bark at a leaf falling off a tree. He's like the boy who cried wolf. But instead the dog who cried home invader. He stops after just a minute or two.

I get out of bed grab my j-frame that I take with me to work and go to the bathroom. Our back porch is connected to out bathroom. I hear what sounds like things moving around on the porch. Our cat is always out there. I wait a minute and walk out back, j-frame in hand. I see the cat. Ok no big deal. I go on about my morning. I don't live in paranoia, but the noise was weird, never heard it before. But nothing was out there but the cat.

Dog has calmed down. About an hour later, I walk out the front door and there is a man in my front yard. He must e been the one making the noise in the back. He was servicing the water wells. I did t say a word to him. He had headphones on and didn't even notice me. I jumped in my car and headed to work.

Turns out he wasn't a dangerous criminal. But I felt a little stupid with there being a man outside my house for an hour and I wasn't aware. I mean I checked the back and saw my cat figured she was the culprit for the noise I had heard.

Oh well figured I'd share. Excuse any typos or poor grammar. This post is from my phone.

Should have shot him for causing you anxiety. You can never shoot too many people.

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Should have shot him for causing you anxiety. You can never shoot too many people.
    The P.C. police are going to get you.
    I will deny laughing at this post if questioned.

Michael
    atctimmy and lchamp like this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    You made an assumption. You heard something you'd never heard before yet you assumed it was the normal thing-the cat. Glad you are safe.

+1
    in addition claim it was a SYG situation

I find myself doig the same thing, but I have re trained myself. We get rabbits in our back yard and my dog hates rabbits. He sleeps in the house with us and when there is any critters in our back yard, he barks and basically goes nuts. At first, I would just roll over, tell him to be quite and go back to sleep. After thinking about it, I realized that 99.9% of the time, it was a critter, but what if it was that 0.1%. Now, I have trained myself to get up, arm myself and let the dog into the back yard to chase away whatever is back there.

We have gators in the pond behind our house and lake across the street....I don't step foot outside (especially at night) without something that makes a big boom and big holes.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I was walking through my yard yesterday with my 5 year old. My idiot dog was barking at something. It was a 5 foot snake about 10 feet from us which I would have completely overlooked. Phoned my wife, "Call the dogs in and bring me the shotgun." A little #4 therapy from the Mossy did the trick.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

It happens bro. I actually strolled outside for a cigarette once and happened onto someone trying to pry my window open. Good thing I'm high strung or it could have ended badly!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Exactly.....folks sneaking around like that need to learn a lesson anyway! Dog will quit barking when no response out of the barked at. You should give your dog a nice pizza or some Jimmy Dean sausage for the effort IMO. I work nights and sleep days. The world aint so kind to us folks that do that. 12 hour shifts. Yeah.........sleep deprived eight days out of the month but work half the days of the year. I have a 4lb 20 year old Pomeranian that could tear a hole through a wall to get the doorbell ringer. It's just I have to wake up and calm her down before we all end up moving again. LOL!

He should have let you know before entering your back yard.
    gottabkiddin and ccw9mm like this.

They certainly should. I came home to a ladder on my fence a few years back. My gate was locked, so he used a ladder to climb my wooded fence. They were changing to some new digital meters. I wasn't happy at all about that.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

With my odd shift this week or 10-7, he probably assumed nobody was home at 8:00 in the morning. Otherwise I go into work at 6:00am.

I gave my dog some Swiss cheese when I was making a sandwhich today. He's a great dog. His name is Red. He was a "feral dog" from Iraq. My bro-in-law served two tours, they were told to kill feral dogs because they carried disease. Luckily, they took a liking to Red. Said he'd follow them around while they were out on patrol. He went through the process to bring him home. He wasn't carrying any disease. My bro-in-law couldn't keep him so he came to my parents and I. This was about 8 years ago........WE already had a 3 years old White GSD in the house. We recently put our German Shepherd, Luke, to sleep in March. He was going to be 11 this June. He had cancer and very bad arthritis. He could barely move. It was very hard on us. It was hard on Red as well. It took him a day or two to really notice Luke was gone. Now he won't go outside alone. I feel bad for him especially being at home all day alone. I used to never give Red's bark a second thought.... But when Luke barked, I new something was up. Luke didn't just bark for anything. I have to start growing more trusting of Red.

Anyway, yeah, glad it was nothing.

He is ol' Luke, about a month before he got really sick

And Red, standing guard on our back porch.. You're probably wondering what kind of dog his is..... Me too.

And the cat I thought was the culprit. She's 17!!!!

More pictures of them can be found in the link in my sig if interested :)

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    THIS. Loss of man card.

I'd rather not shoot anybody if I don't absolutely, 100%, positively HAVE to in order to save my or anothers life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links