CCW/SD a bus (city transit

This is a discussion on CCW/SD a bus (city transit within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I drive a city bus in a very low crime area of north carolina. I have a few questions and a situation for people ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51

Thread: CCW/SD a bus (city transit

So I drive a city bus in a very low crime area of north carolina. I have a few questions and a situation for people who understand the laws better than me.

The buses are posted. Is that legal since its not actually a building? It's not a city ordinance but an idea of the director. Also, signs in NC carry the weight of the law but if my boss didn't press charges would there be any other legal implications? I've discussed ccw with him and he said the signs are just there to prosecute our problem passengers.

Question:
    Are signs on vehicles legal?
    If the boss does not press charges are there any other legal issues I should be aware of?

Situation:
    Irate passenger on the bus has a knife or gun or something an is threatening me the driver or the passengers.. I typically haul 20-30 people per round and they are scattered across the bus. My target is in a confined area potentially with bystanders in front an behind him/her. I have stopped and opened the front and rear door to allow passengers to escape and the threat to run away if they so choose. That being said, I'm worried about over penetration. I'm carrying a kahr cm9 with federal hydrashoks. Shot placement is not a problem as the altercation will take place with 5 to 10 feet.

I apologize for my disjointed thoughts, I've been writing this over the span of a few hours. I have an still am researching on my own but I'm still looking for input. The main reason I ask is because I had a situation where I probably could have drawn my gun but I did not. Speaking prevailed...this time.

Thanks

An employer has the right to ban guns from the co property and or employees. The city busses a can ban weapons if the state statute says so. here in texas you can't ban guns from city property exexpt the court house or the jail

Here in Texas the city bus driver can't get into a confrontation with a passenger unless he has no choice but if they pull a gun and use it in self defense they get fired

Thank you, I'll look into my state statutes regarding that. I know I wouldn't be fired, at least not without a fight from other managers and employees. Also, as I said, words won this time. I would never draw unless it were the absolute last option. I even called the cops first.

Also, what about civil suits from passengers with blown ear drums from a handgun being fired in a confined space? I assume that's something I could probably count on even if my actions did save lives.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckingba11 View Post
    Thank you, I'll look into my state statutes regarding that. I know I wouldn't be fired, at least not without a fight from other managers and employees. Also, as I said, words won this time. I would never draw unless it were the absolute last option. I even called the cops first.

Also, what about civil suits from passengers with blown ear drums from a handgun being fired in a confined space? I assume that's something I could probably count on even if my actions did save lives.
    I can guarantee civil suits. Some ambulance chaser will be there to make his 1/3 off of it. He'll probably offer his services to the person shot, and his family.
    Inspector71 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    While you may be on good terms with your boss now, I would not count on that meaning you won't be fired if you have to use your gun. It will be in the media, you will probably be portrayed as a vigilante, and corporate will come down and overrule your boss, or he might have to cave to political pressure and fire you, or risk being fired himself. Never underestimate the power of the media and "activists" who will know exactly what you "should have done" even though they weren't there and don't have jobs.
    Walk softly ...

Both good points, thanks. Sometimes I wonder why we bother.

I've carried pepper spray but that would probably result in some civil suit too. Maybe I'll just pick up a collapsible baton.

Links