Using an Outhouse in Bear Country

This is a discussion on Using an Outhouse in Bear Country within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I spent some time in bear country and I carried my can of bear spray with me to the outhouse....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Using an Outhouse in Bear Country

VIP Member
    I spent some time in bear country and I carried my can of bear spray with me to the outhouse.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I spent some time in bear country and I carried my can of bear spray with me to the outhouse.
    Was that as air freshener?
    Stubborn and phreddy like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I can't think of a thing to add. I have gotten many laughs off the ones here now. Plus I learned that using a outhouse around polar bears can be fatal. I don't know how that will come in handy here in Missouri, but it is always good to know.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    A new sticky "Outhouse Guns".
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Well, at least he's completely cleaned out now!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Reminds me of back in the 80s, I met my friend's uncle who went all outback Alaska, hunting guide, gold miner, bush pilot... He was discussing his guns and what purpose he used each for. He mentioned that he always carried a 8" Ruger Blackhawk every where, even to the outhouse. We impressionable teens said of course 'that is to protect you from bears'. His reply "Hell no. I'm in Kodiak country. This popgun would only piss those bears off. It is in case I cannot run back to the cabin I can put the barrel in my mouth, pull the trigger and make things easier for me and the bear."
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

Administrator

I never go out in the woods without being armed sufficient for bear. He should have done the same. Fortunately, a friend was armed and dispatched the critter.

The bears at a good friends hunting cabin are a little too friendly...

Far too often we've had someone stroll outside to release a beer back into the wild and find a good sized black bear hanging out by the crapper (or whatever convenient bush the poor guys were planning on using).

I've taken to carrying my 6" S&W .41 mag and a good flashlight while outside at camp.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Well, at least he's completely cleaned out now!
    I'll bet just the opposite happened...I'd be willing to bet, you couldn't have put a greasy toothpick up his butt with a sledgehammer.

At least this answers the age old question..."Does a bear crap in the woods?"
    Apparently they prefer outhouses, and are not at all patient about waiting their turn.
    Too bad it wasn't a two-holer, that would be one Canadian with a good story to tell.
    Sarisataka likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    At least this answers the age old question..."Does a bear crap in the woods?"
    Not if they can find a Ranger Station or outhouse.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Hope none of it stuck to the bears fur.

A couple if pics of Gord Shurvell are here
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Kind of makes me wonder what he took to the outhouse with him? Did he plan on being here a while and pack a lunch? Every time I have come on a bear the last thing they wanted was anything to do with people and they beat feet into the woods, I have several pictures of trees with the occasional bear butt trying to get pictures of them. Maybe Canadian black bears are braver than WI black bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
    Kind of makes me wonder what he took to the outhouse with him? Did he plan on being here a while and pack a lunch? Every time I have come on a bear the last thing they wanted was anything to do with people and they beat feet into the woods, I have several pictures of trees with the occasional bear butt trying to get pictures of them. Maybe Canadian black bears are braver than WI black bears.
    Maybe Canadians taste better.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I close the door in my house! Guess he learned a good lesson about leaving the door ajar!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links