Home invasion video and discussion

This is a discussion on Home invasion video and discussion within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a video re-creation of a home invasion with a panel discussing options and tactics. Home Invasion A couple of points that made me ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Home invasion video and discussion

VIP Member

Home invasion video and discussion

This is a video re-creation of a home invasion with a panel discussing options and tactics.

Home Invasion

A couple of points that made me think were, when and what type of resistance to offer and do you openly carry or conceal your weapon while at home?
    barstoolguru likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Tough to watch........totally surprised, overwhelmed w sudden violence, trying not to enrage these goofballs and make it more dangerous for the family by offering resistance.
    1. totally surprised. Get a dog. Big dog out side provides a partial deterrent and an early alarm, though easily overcome w poisoned food. Small inside dogs are usually great early warnings that are not as easily countered because, well, they're inside. Even if your alarm is not monitored, have it set to go off when doors are opened. Put up "this home monitored by xyz Alarm co" sign in yard, and stickers in windows. Even if it ain't, most thugs will move on to easier pickin's.
    2. overwhelmed w sudden violence. Mindset. Be ready to administer unrelenting violence upon those who'd enter your domicile seeking to do you harm. Have NO doubts. Play enough realistic 'what ifs' to begin to formulate a plan, then try out the plan, amend it as needed, then practice it. All that being said, a complete blindside attack will be tough to ever get on the + side of the power curve.
    3. trying not to enrage these goofballs and make it more dangerous. That's gonna really be an individual call. I've said it before when we talk about armed robberies at WH, restaurants, etc. If it's a pro team, chances are great that a) they are there for money, goods, etc, and don't really want a murder pinned on them, b) they are more practiced at this than most of us are at singlehandedly dealing w an armed, pro team. If that's the case, maybe, maybe it's more to your advantage, especially if totally in shock from the onset, to let them get the cash, gold, whatever and get out.....MAYBE. If it's a 'three stooges' hold up, and you can regain composure, and have ready access (carry at home?), being quick and determined might get you thro the night. In the video presented, the wife/daughter present really great leverage for the thugs over the husband/father. He's in a ******* spot.

If we're gonna play "What would you do" here, lemme think about it, and I'll try to post my thoughts in a few.

Thanks tac.

dan

Lots of what ifs in the scenario they covered. I agree with being prepared better. That should be common sense to most people. What I didnt like was the officer talking about complying with the BGs. The woman on the panel made the most sense to me. Armed all the time, and ready for JUST about everything. Outside of that, I think they sugar coated what should have really been done. JMO
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member
    The question that was raised though when she mentioned resistance "What type of resistance?" was never really answered. Could/would you engage multiple armed threats with what you are carrying? Do you trust your own skill level to be able to do what needs to be done?
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    for those here who understand being pro-active in avoidance
    this will not happen

short of BG's using gestapo style no-knock breaching tools a proper exterior door should stand up to 3 or more violent kicks.
    giving an alert homeowner time to get to his weapons and for the family to scatter.

this entire event should have been avoided. no one got in the home
    if they did get in ,than it is to a hail of scattergun they walk.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Well, I think she may be sorta hung up on the gun always being the answer. I have no way to know how ready she'd be to coping w/ the presented scenario, even if armed. Practiced and trained competitive shooters still get startled by the timer going off, so how can I say I'd be composed enough to engage 3 moving, armed shooters in my home split seconds after the door comes off the hinges.
    My family has always been taught that in an abduction attempt, not to leave the initial point of contact. Stats show that chances of surviving drop tremendously once one leaves the point of contact. So, I think to start w/ my resistance would begin when bigman told me to get into the kitchen. "no, sir, I believe I'll stay right here. Anything you want to take can be taken w/ me right here". We go from there..................

dan
    FLArmadillo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    The question that was raised though when she mentioned resistance "What type of resistance?" was never really answered. Could/would you engage multiple armed threats with what you are carrying? Do you trust your own skill level to be able to do what needs to be done?
    First thing I noticed was that the family had there back to the door. We do not do this in pubic places, so why do it at home. I understood her meaning by resistance, she carrys while at home. I caught a vibe from her that she would not comply with the armed invaders.

On the personal level for me. I do trust my own skill level. I have prepared for this type of situation. I never sit with my back to my door. My door has two dead bolts. So, one kick will not do it. Once the first guy made entry I would be in a position to fight (behind concealment.) and would engage from there. I would not stop until all threats stopped. I chose a weapon that has enough capacity to fight multiple attackers....
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Actually, I was beginning the scenario as presented. Not as if I'd done all the things I've done prior to avoid being caught flat footed. I was playing "what if" as it appeared in the vid. ie, what if these intruders had already made entry and were now spread out, one threatening me, one threatening wife/daughter, and one searching the house.

If you're the guy that can NEVER be surprised, or taken off guard, I congratulate you.

dan

Unless you have a layered defense to your home, you're always going to be operating behind the curve. Whether you carry a gun on your person in the home or not, if they are able to breach your doors with one or two well placed kicks, they will pretty much own the situation.

First of all, as they come through the door, they are prepared for anything. Whether they are armed with contact weapons (knives and ball bats), or guns, they will be operating on some semblance of a plan, and an adrenaline rush. The homeowner is almost always going to be significantly startled and taking a few moments to gather their senses and then formulate a response. By the time you've recovered from the "startle effect", and began to respond, it's basically already over at that point. And if someone out of the blue starts kicking in your front door... There will be a startle effect and moment of confusion on your part.

You can sit around and talk about it until the cows come home, but until you've taken the steps to ensure you won't be caught off guard and have fortified your home in some way, you're likely going to be at any intruders mercy.

Our home is not an easy target. We have motion sensor flood lights in front and by every exterior door and garage doors. We have two dogs who are very obnoxious barkers. They bark at people walking down the street in front of the house, let alone at anyone who comes into the yard. No one is kicking in doors in one or two kicks. I have steel reinforced door jambs, reinforced hinges and solid dead bolts. On the front door I have a locking storm door. The front door is solid wood. All the rest of the exterior doors are steel doors. We keep the doors locked all the time. The expense I laid out to install steel door jambs, new dead bolts and two new steel doors is a wasted expense if we don't keep them locked all the time. So, yes, I keep my doors locked, day and night.

Finally, both my wife and I are armed at all times. At the very least, we each have a Ruger LCP carried in our pockets, but more often than not, we wear our primary guns, holstered from the time we get up, until we go to bed. There is also either an AR-15 or a shotgun in the living/family room during the time we are awake and goes to the bedroom at night.

Now with that in place, it's highly unlikely that anyone who attempts to break in is going to stick around long enough to actually succeed in breaking in. With motion flood lights lighting up the area, two hound dogs barking like rabbid crazed hell hounds, and the fact that after 7 or 8 or 10 attempts to kick in the doors with no success, they are likely going to stop and find an easier target.

If they do manage to break in... Well, at that point, I've had enough time to subdue the startle effect, make a sandwich, grab a soda and take up a defensive position where I can send a lot of lead down range really fast.

Try breaking into my house, and it won't be like the family sitting on the sofa watching TV in the video.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Try breaking into my house, and it won't be like the family sitting on the sofa watching TV in the video.
    Exactly...

@ JDsumner The reason for the episode IMO is to help folks prepare to not be victims like the folks in the scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    Actually, I was beginning the scenario as presented. Not as if I'd done all the things I've done prior to avoid being caught flat footed. I was playing "what if" as it appeared in the vid. ie, what if these intruders had already made entry and were now spread out, one threatening me, one threatening wife/daughter, and one searching the house.

If you're the guy that can NEVER be surprised, or taken off guard, I congratulate you.

dan
    If that's the case, you're going to be at their mercy.

You could try to resist at that point, but it may end up being a slaughter house.

Once they've gotten in and surprised you, and caught you with your pants down (so to speak), they pretty much own the situation. To think otherwise, is somewhat delusional.

Yeah, you may be able to get the upper hand, but all final outcomes are going to be an unknown equation at that point.
    AOK and Spirit51 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The thing I like about hound dogs is that it is easy to read their response. Big difference between the noise they make when daughter or grand daughter come over and when someone they don't know (or like) shows up. They are more than just "alarms" with big noise...they are thinking alarms with attitude. I am sure that is true of any dog and owner relationship.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

My two 'big dog speed bumps' will hopefully give me the seconds I need to get ready.
    gejoslin and Spirit51 like this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Thanks for postin this "tacman605"
    I will have to watch later though its almost time to head to work & its a long video but i really like to watch training stuff....Thx
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

That was very interesting stuff; the panel of advisors was a real treat. big names in the self-defense world and I have to say something about Kathy (cornered cat) how polite would your kids and their friends be when they knew mom is packing a 45 on her hip?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links