Does your spouse know what to do if you're forced to draw your weapon?

This is a discussion on Does your spouse know what to do if you're forced to draw your weapon? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Reaction is a learned response; if it's not trained or a mindset it generally takes someone that don’t think along the lines to react. example: ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Does your spouse know what to do if you're forced to draw your weapon?

Reaction is a learned response; if it's not trained or a mindset it generally takes someone that don’t think along the lines to react.

example: I was at a Kmart on time on the south side of town and a car backfired well all the ghetto rats dropped and ran for cover (learned reaction) while all the white people stood there looking around for the source (non learned reaction)
    Spirit51 and mano3 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Does your spouse know what to do if you're forced to draw your weapon?
    Yeah, she draws too.
    normAK and tcox4freedom like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

My wife is an NRA instructor and carries as much as I do. We have twin 5 year old kids. We have code words among ourselves as well as a word for the kids to react, taking cover, moving, etc. Our system has been tested under real life dangerous situations and has worked so far just as we intended. My daughter is much more interested in shooting than my boy, but both are safe gun handlers and each has several guns of their own. My wife is learning to build ARs, so she has several different ones that she will toss into the car depending on her mood. Her every day guns were a Glock 26 and a Seecamp in .25, but she has an arm injury and is using a Tomcat with Lasergrips for a while.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Senior Moderator

Something I put together a while ago on the subject.

My husband and I both carry. We recently took a partner tactics class as well and learned a lot about working with each other. It sounds so easy when you talk about ... oh, we'll both draw our guns and that will be it.. but when you are put in an environment where you are actually working in and around each other you find how hard that really is if you haven't been trained or at least practiced any kind of partner tactics. It's pretty hard to get used to talking to one another, being safe while working around each other in close proximity, etc. I strongly believe that those who carry guns together should get partner training.

For unarmed spouses it's just as important to know what to do and what not to do. Their role is just as important depending on what they decide they can do.

If someone knows I carry and we are out together I often give them just a brief statement such as, "If anything happens, stay away from me and call the police."

My kids are still too young to understand complex commands or actions but that's okay. As they get older and understand we'll work with them more.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Reaction is a learned response; if it's not trained or a mindset it generally takes someone that don’t think along the lines to react.

example: I was at a Kmart on time on the south side of town and a car backfired well all the ghetto rats dropped and ran for cover (learned reaction) while all the white people stood there looking around for the source (non learned reaction)
    That reminds me of the time back in the '60s when I took a weekend pass from my base and visited my mom in St. Louis. The neighborhood she was living in was starting to turn, well you know.... and at that time in the 60's there were a lot of riots and threats of riots going on, so the potential danger was very much in my mind.

Sleeping in one of the front bedrooms with the window open (no AC in that house) in the middle of the night one of the famous St. Louis t-boomers rolls through. A big bright flash of lightening and a house shaking boom and I probably jumped three feet up out of a sound sleep. The fractional second image in my mind was they're setting off bombs in the street out front. Sheesh! Scared the tar out of me. Glad it was only a clap of thunder.
    Dan,

CZ82 nut

Unfortunately my wife is not exactly taking any training from me, but I think I know her well enough to know her response. It will be like the majority of the populace "Huh? what was that? is somebody shooting off fireworks?"

One of these days I may try to broach the subject but I think it will have to be after an eye opening experience, such as a close call or friend/acquaintance/relative incident.
    danwdooley likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Interesting question. I had not thought about how my Wife or kids would react if I were to ever end up in a self defense situation but it is obviously a very important factor.

my woman knows to get out of the way because she will get shot if she gets in the way...it might be an accident and it might not !

The Best Defense had a good episode about this a few weeks ago. I had never thought of this scenario much. Now we have the same word as they used in the episode that means "You do not question me but simply find cover IMMEDIATELY!!!" The word we use is "cover" (I admit, not all that original). So now, if I holler "cover" the family (whoever is with me) will bolt away from me and find what cover they can.
    Spirit51 likes this.

My word is MOVE.....The wife doesnt carry. So if I yell, she grabs the kids and gets as far away as she can. We practice this with the kids on a regular basis...
    Spirit51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I told my wife...if you sense real trouble, nonchalantly put your fingers in your ears, it's going to get loud.

I wonder how that would look to some dirtbag preparing to attack a 'trapped in' old man.
    I can't stop chuckling over that mental picture.
    mano3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    The Best Defense had a good episode about this a few weeks ago. I had never thought of this scenario much. Now we have the same word as they used in the episode that means "You do not question me but simply find cover IMMEDIATELY!!!" The word we use is "cover" (I admit, not all that original). So now, if I holler "cover" the family (whoever is with me) will bolt away from me and find what cover they can.
    Mine is "drop". It is good to use one word. Less confusion.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post

When I was deployed to Operation Northern Watch in Turkey (just before 9/11), a bunch of us military folks were shopping just off-base in town. Some kid threw firecrackers into a trashcan. All the military folks took cover while the dependents and locals just stood there.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

My wife would start flapping her hands and probably run away. Hopefully she'd call 911. I guess I have some work to do...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    My wife would start flapping her hands and probably run away. Hopefully she'd call 911. I guess I have some work to do...
    Mine too. She doesn't like guns and freaks out under stress. That's just how she rolls and I love her anyway.

Since I suspect she'll freak in some unknown manner, I can incorporate that into my response plan.
    mano3 likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links