Recent CU Grad/Home Invader gets shot AND charged

This is a discussion on Recent CU Grad/Home Invader gets shot AND charged within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 What, precisely is the 21-foot rule? Let me google that for you...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Recent CU Grad/Home Invader gets shot AND charged

Lightbulb Google Is Your Friend

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    What, precisely is the 21-foot rule?
    Let me google that for you

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    I'm wondering about the unlocked door. I wonder if it was an accidental oversight or they just never lock that one. If it is the latter, I would think after this they will do so. I'm guessing it was the former though given the stalking history that the couple had experienced. Important note to self - lock doors and windows (I already do, but this just serves as a reminder).
    We have just begun having really warm night time weather here in Colorado. I'm guessing that the couple had opened all the doors and windows to cool down the house and neglected to secure a door.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Seems like a flawed life plan to me. Go to all the trouble and expense of a college education and then wander into a stranger's bedroom at 3:30 am and getting yourself shot. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
    ducatirider likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

VIP Member
    She's very lucky. If the home owner would of had a 12 gauge shotgun at the bedside, they would still be scraping pieces off the wall.

Some of the idiots responding to the store have absolutely no clue. Instead of protecting themselves and family, they would rather invite her in, fix her a cup of tea and discuss why she was there, why she drank too much, what her college major was, and what her summer plans were.

The more remarks I read to articles like this, the more I agree with the words of the Billy Currington song, "God is Great, Beer is Good, People are Crazy".
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It seems like it is always conveyed as some commonly-known and accepted rule of law. That would not be so troubling were it not so potentially dangerous.
    At parties I regularly encounter deep-left Liberals ranting about Colorado's so-called (by the Denver Liberal news papers) "Make My Day Law". So far I have yet to encounter a single one who has read the statute or looked into why the law was enacted.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Seems like a flawed life plan to me. Go to all the trouble and expense of a college education and then wander into a stranger's bedroom at 3:30 am and getting yourself shot. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
    I've heard the saying that "alcohol makes you stupid." But for some, it must be like removing the brain completely. (I don't drink myself because of two reasons. One, I couldn't stand the taste and two, alcoholism runs rampant through my family line and I didn't want to end up like that.)
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Yes, but where do they keep hearing it?
    Here in northern Colorado, on AM Progressive Talk Radio (which I think is what used to be George Soros' Air America). I tune in every now and again while in the car just to get an upload on this week's Official Liberal Talking Points. I'll be hearing them verbatim later in the week from my Liberal friends.

After reading about this story in other media sources, I noted the following absurdities:
    1. The media reports that the weapon used was a Glock, but they show a photo of a revolver (it is well known that most media types consider a revolver to be a Glock)
    2. The media shows an earlier photo of the drunk chick / home invader as she was making muffins (hence suggesting that she is as pure as the driven snow)
    3. The drunk chick / home invader majored in 'speech, language and hearing sciences'. But I'm guessing she didn't do too well in school because she apparently didn't hear the homeowners warnings being yelled out to her

I agree, absolutely, but am still unable to see the relevance of the Tueller Drill in making that determination.
    Nor can I. None of the stories I am reading or hearing on the radio indicate that the intruder was displaying a knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick62 View Post
    3. The drunk chick / home invader majored in 'speech, language and hearing sciences'. But I'm guessing she didn't do too well in school because she apparently didn't hear the homeowners warnings being yelled out to her
    I think that translates to her studying to become a speech therapist.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    So where does the Tueller Drill have the force of law?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Ok guys I will sum this up quick. Rules: There are no rules in a gun fight. Pure and simple. Mikes question was valid. See the point now....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Lightbulb Google Is Still Your Friend

So where does the Tueller Drill have the force of law?
    Nowhere that I am aware of. It has appeared in assorted court cases. Massad Ayoob has written extensively about the rule and its real-world applications. I encourage you to run a search on "Massad Ayoob 21 foot rule".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcclarke View Post
    Nowhere that I am aware of. It has appeared in assorted court cases. Massad Ayoob has written extensively about the rule and its real-world applications. I encourage you to run a search on "Massad Ayoob 21 foot rule".
    It seems like no more than an approximation for LEOs to guesstimate potential threats from knife-wielding suspects.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick62 View Post
    After reading about this story in other media sources, I noted the following absurdities:
    1. The media reports that the weapon used was a Glock, but they show a photo of a revolver (it is well known that most media types consider a revolver to be a Glock)
    2. The media shows an earlier photo of the drunk chick / home invader as she was making muffins (hence suggesting that she is as pure as the driven snow)
    Well, for all we really know she could be a darn good person. But she made one doozy of a mistake that almost cost her her life.

Many year ago, in college, the morning after one of my birthdays I awoke in my bed, and I was startled. Last thing I remember was the night before, when my buddy lined up four shots of some gawd-awful stuff. Turns out I did a lot of stuff after the shots and before I made it home (someone drove me, at least). So I'll admit it, at that age I did some really stupid things, too - fortunately nobody was ever harmed as a result of my actions. Unfortunately for her, she wasn't lucky that night.
    ep1953 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links