Closest I've come to drawing on someone, somewhat wordy

This is a discussion on Closest I've come to drawing on someone, somewhat wordy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gottabkiddin Yup, if he's gotta knife in his hands as he's approaching me, he'll see my muzzle and hear a commanding voice ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Closest I've come to drawing on someone, somewhat wordy

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Yup, if he's gotta knife in his hands as he's approaching me, he'll see my muzzle and hear a commanding voice right behind it.

Good job, and I sure hope the LEO's follow up on the plate. To me the guy was at the very least menacing; his behavior was very odd too say the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    15 ft, opened knife? sounds like bad situation that could have gone terminal in an instant, at that distance you have about a second to react, why you didn't have your weapon in a ready position is beyond me.

^I'm in this camp^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But all is well that ends well.
    You don't know the chump from Adam, and he could have wanted to sell you an open lockback, 'cause thats how everyone walks around with one, but then he may have been hyped up on meth and thought you were two little ole' ladies coming out of bingo ripe for the robbing, but you did good.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Again, if one gets charged with murder, the Tueller Drill and about $50k might get one off.
    what part of not being charged can't you grasp? maybe in some places you'd be charged, but here in FLA if the incident described by the OP happened and they had to use deadly forces to stop the attack they would more than likely not face charges

Ohio doesn't have syg, but Florida does. What do you reckon the legal bills will be all the way around once Zimmerman is acquitted?
    If treyvon would of had a knife. This case would not even be taking place. So that is a mute point. Remember Z wasnt arrested. The public effect on the government created a knee jerk reaction and charges were brought. What will it cost Z? Not sure. Depends on the lawyer. Maybe he does it for free, maybe it costs him 50k. Either way, an unarmed man was shot...

Now for my state. If this would have happened here, it would be justified. Pure and simple.

If you are an LEO, if you are drawing from an alert state from a retention holster, and if someone armed with a knife is coming at you full gallop with a knife, the Tueller Drill applies.
    I don't know where you come up with nonsense like this. being a leo or not being a leo is not of any relevance, being under attack and defending yourself is always legal

The Tueller Drill doesn't stipulate anything, and carries no weight of law in any precedence I have ever seen.
    It's standard fare in both military and academy LE training ranging from Quantico and FLETC down to local municipality agency training. Furthermore, it's a well-regarded defense exercised by attorneys who represent law enforcement in defensive shootings and has been demonstrated more than once in an actual court of law.

I've seen it demonstrated in state court in Alabama, Texas and Oklahoma in cases I was personally involved in, as well as in a federal courtroom in San Antonio, Texas as far back as 1989 during a notorious organized motorcycle gang trial in which there was a defensive shooting by a prosecuting AUSA.

Here in Texas, it is often taught or explained in CHL classes.

My lawyer told me it would cost me about 50 grand if I were to follow your advice and subsequently be charged with murder.
    Any rookie lawyer with a law degree still waiting on the ink to dry could find within an hour of just googling the internet enough evidence and supporting facts to give more than enough reasonable doubt for a murder charge in the scenario outlined.

Finally, the incident in question occurred here in Texas. We have zero duty here to retreat and a knife is absolutely considered a deadly weapon and qualifies as use of deadly force. Had the OP drawn and fired with the would-be assailant at or less than 15 feet away, there isn't the jury in this state--even in Austin--that would convict him. Furthermore, I doubt--based upon my own long ago experience--that there is the grand jury in any of the counties that would hand down an indictment.

JD
    Author of Above Reproach, the new thriller that unequivocally positions the Second Amendment and concealed carry as our nation's most effective system of homeland and personal security.

Ohio doesn't have syg, but Florida does. What do you reckon the legal bills will be all the way around once Zimmerman is acquitted?
    apples and oranges, the dead person wasn't armed and the ONLY reason charges were filed was because of a corrupt media that altered evidence and whipped up a frenzy. there is never any kind of an issue using deadly force against an armed attacker

Florida and stand your ground seem to be a contradiction in terms at this point. Perhaps you have other examples? As for the scope of this board, and statements like mine, I am passing on legal advice which I paid for, given by a real lawyer with whom I have a face-to-face relationship.
    1. your lawyer is incompetent
    2. you don't understand the law
    3. you are either very naive or foolish or both.
    4. I am done, you are too dense
    INccwchris likes this.

At fifteen feet with my hand on the grip of my pistol and in a condition of alarm, the guy showing the knife is the one whose life is in the most danger.
    it appears that you have absolutely no training and are clueless.

peace out

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    If treyvon would of had a knife. This case would not even be taking place. So that is a mute point. Remember Z wasnt arrested. The public effect on the government created a knee jerk reaction and charges were brought. What will it cost Z? Not sure. Depends on the lawyer. Maybe he does it for free, maybe it costs him 50k. Either way, an unarmed man was shot...

Now for my state. If this would have happened here, it would be justified. Pure and simple.
    Thanks for making all my points for me. Zimmerman will be acquitted, several hundred thousand dollars later. Legality and public reactions are NEVER pure and simple.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

VIP Member
    it appears that you have absolutely no training and are clueless.

peace out
    Or thoroughly trained and will-informed.
    ericb327 likes this.
    Tuco

VIP Member
    1. your lawyer is incompetent
    2. you don't understand the law
    3. you are either very naive or foolish or both.
    4. I am done, you are too dense
    Or maybe I just watch the news.
    Tuco

At 15 feet..............see the knife............ draw the gun............if he doesn't halt when told, then It's On.
    I realize there were 2 of you but a drawn knife at 15'-0 is a huge Threat............glad he decided to leave.
    Mike1956 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    At 15 feet..............see the knife............ draw the gun............if he doesn't halt when told, then It's On.
    I realize there were 2 of you but a drawn knife at 15'-0 is a huge Threat............glad he decided to leave.
    Works for me.
    Tuco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by L3git View Post
    I've only had my CHL since last October and since then I haven't even come to condition yellow (except at my job where I'm armed security) but a day ago I almost had to draw on someone.

[SNIP]

Sorry it was so long but I tried to get as much detail as I could. Would anyone have done something different? Comments on how we did things?
    My personal test is whether you are alive to write the post, and, if so, whether you or anyone else was harmed. Seems like you're alive and nobody was harmed.

I personally don't know if I would have done anything different. You had maybe what, fifteen seconds during the entire chain of events? Lots of people here will opine on what you should have done, and it's the same advice that you have probably already thought of when replaying facts in your head. But when it's real, staring you in the face, it's a different situation, especially for those who are not trained to handle threats (i.e., non-LEO's, etc.).

Anytime you can deter a threat while keeping your weapon holstered is a success.
    Mike1956 likes this.

Thanks for making all my points for me. Zimmerman will be acquitted, several hundred thousand dollars later. Legality and public reactions are NEVER pure and simple.
    You are taking "pure and simple" out of context.

Dont play with context Mike. The two incidents are completely different. If in FL T would of had a knife, and Z shot him, no case would have been brought. We both know this. In the incident described, the victim would have been justified in shooting the BG to the ground, and most likely would not face any charges at all.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links