Closest I've come to drawing on someone, somewhat wordy - Page 4

Closest I've come to drawing on someone, somewhat wordy

This is a discussion on Closest I've come to drawing on someone, somewhat wordy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Harryball You are taking "pure and simple" out of context. Dont play with context Mike. The two incidents are completely different. If ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Closest I've come to drawing on someone, somewhat wordy

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    You are taking "pure and simple" out of context.

Dont play with context Mike. The two incidents are completely different. If in FL T would of had a knife, and Z shot him, no case would have been brought. We both know this. In the incident described, the victim would have been justified in shooting the BG to the ground, and most likely would not face any charges at all.
    No, I just don't adhere to absolutist, blanketing statements. If froggy had wings, he wouldn't bump his butt. Shoot somebody, there will be consequences, and they may be expensive.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

One thing for sure; you're gonna relive that moment over and over and question yourself until the fades

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    No, I just don't adhere to absolutist, blanketing statements. If froggy had wings, he wouldn't bump his butt. Shoot somebody, there will be consequences, and they may be expensive.
    You are right about not making blanket statements. Like "you'll be arrested and it will cost 50k." In the bold, MAYBE.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

It's been said by the Sheriff here that if you shoot someone in this county, you WILL spend the night in jail. Justified or not. I doubt the county attorney would bring charges, but you'd at least get arrested.

Personally, I think I would have drawn as soon as the knife opened.

Story sounds like it came out of a Mickey Spillane novel.
    Spirit51 and ericb327 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    to L3git: Sir--you both went home alive--good job.

Now, go somewhere either private, or away from close viewing eyes, you and your b-i-l, buy a rubber toy knife and a pastic toy gun. Have one of you with the rubber knife stand 15 feet away, then stick the toy gun inside your waist-band and put your hand on it. Have the person with the knife rush the one with the gun--like he means it--and see what the results are.......
    Last edited by Chaplain Scott; May 28th, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
    l1a1, shockwave and goldmaster like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

When I posted my thoughts I was trying to be polite and reassuring but the fact is both of you choked! You did the worst thing you could have done; you went into denial and were hoping it would have gone away and that might have cost one of you a lot of pain or your life. A hesitation on your part sends a message to the thief/attacker that he has the upper hand because he is willing to go through with his end of the attack

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey2011 View Post
    It's been said by the Sheriff here that if you shoot someone in this county, you WILL spend the night in jail. Justified or not. I doubt the county attorney would bring charges, but you'd at least get arrested.

Personally, I think I would have drawn as soon as the knife opened.
    I think that your sheriff is an idiot for making such a prejudicial statement.
    MleeC, W9HDG and JDKinman like this.

The OP made it home safe and sound. We here sitting in our comfy sofas can opine as to what he did wrong but I'm sure he has done that several times over. Hindsight being 20/20 I would have hoped the OP would have drawn his weapon, I BELIEVE I would have. It probably took us longer to read his version of events than it took for the events to actually happen!

This should be a learning opportunity for all of us here as to our level or readiness.

Makes me want to sign up for the defensive pistol classes headed this way!
    gaston17 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DurrtyBoy View Post
    The OP made it home safe and sound. We here sitting in our comfy sofas can opine as to what he did wrong but I'm sure he has done that several times over. Hindsight being 20/20 I would have hoped the OP would have drawn his weapon, I BELIEVE I would have. It probably took us longer to read his version of events than it took for the events to actually happen!

This should be a learning opportunity for all of us here as to our level or readiness.

Makes me want to sign up for the defensive pistol classes headed this way!
    it could be said that the only reason the OP made it through his incident unscathed is because his assailant was more inept at pressing his attack than he was at defending himself from an attack.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    it could be said that the only reason the OP made it through his incident unscathed is because his assailant was more inept at pressing his attack than he was at defending himself from an attack.
    Yeah, but at least the assailant knew where the button on his switchblade was. And knew how to change his grip to a more threatening way. I'm amazed the OP was able to clearly see the activation button on the knife. But was not able to recognize a lethal threat when it presented itself.

JMHO
    Spirit51 and Bubbiesdad like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    It is a huge responsibility to carry a gun. If you carry, you may actually have to shoot someone to save your life someday. Now the question seems to be, when do I draw and when do I shoot? There appears to be a problem in mindset, possibly brought about by all the negative arm chair quarterbacking you read about in just about every shooting scenario these days....
    MleeC likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

It's always easier for us to look at a defensive situation, and to evaluate it, than it is to be IN the melee and try to do everything right. I'm thinking now..if someone pulls a knife while walking directly towards me..I have my hand on my pistol in my front pocket. I say STOP NOW. If he gets to within 20 feet, the pistol is drawn and close to the chest. I'm now saying "stop or I'll shoot". If he keeps coming, opens the knife, or gets to within 15 feet ...one last STOP!!. He had every right to stop. I have every right to defend myself. This to me is one of those scenerios that I have tried to already have decided before it actually occurs. Life is not an easy trip these days. Precarious times require strong reactions, and thoughtful reflection before bad stuff goes down. I'm glad it turned out okay for all this time.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Sounds like you guys handled it very well. I am not sure if this was feasible in your scenario, but if it was, I might have tried to make it to a car and put it between me and the threat before revealing the firearm. The buddy in the vehicle may have had you both covered with a concealed long gun.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Just to be clear - in this case as that knife snapped open I would have drawn, but not fired unless the perp continued to engage.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links