Closest I've come to drawing on someone, somewhat wordy

This is a discussion on Closest I've come to drawing on someone, somewhat wordy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 How long does it take you to draw and fire from an alarm state with your hand gripping your pistol? It ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Closest I've come to drawing on someone, somewhat wordy

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    How long does it take you to draw and fire from an alarm state with your hand gripping your pistol?
    It does not matter, I have undergone training with a open top holster, retention holster, and gun in hand. We found out that your average attacker can get to you as you squeeze off the second shot on your fastest draw, from that distance he is slashing you open. The guy who got off multiple shots in our group was a combat hardened Marine. The rest of us drew at full speed clearing leather a hair or two behind him and got shots off, but thats under controlled circumstances. You sir, need more training.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Knife comes out, gun comes out...but that's just me.

what he said.

This could have become a really bad situation very quickly. Draw you gun when someone presents a weapon of any kind. You have total justification.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    It does not matter, I have undergone training with a open top holster, retention holster, and gun in hand. We found out that your average attacker can get to you as you squeeze off the second shot on your fastest draw, from that distance he is slashing you open. The guy who got off multiple shots in our group was a combat hardened Marine. The rest of us drew at full speed clearing leather a hair or two behind him and got shots off, but thats under controlled circumstances. You sir, need more training.
    you can train as much as you want, at 21 feet or so an attacker can put a real hurt on you regardless of how fast you can draw.
    unlike the movies, when people are shot they usually do not go straight down, it can happen but don't depend on your speed to save you

Sounds like it was handled very well. You stopped the attacker at about the point when it was possible. You went "red" only after he'd played his (knife) hand. You both showed decent control, commands to halt, backing each other up in use of space, willingness to use defensive weapon if the attacker continued, and you made it obviously clear you were feeling threatened and simply wanted the idiot to leave you two alone (which any bystanders/witnesses could have easily confirmed as being the "good guys"). One focused on the defense while the other called police with info. You stayed to inform the cavalry.

Can't imagine it going much better, aside from the attempted robber and accomplice getting caught (did they??).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    you can train as much as you want, at 21 feet or so an attacker can put a real hurt on you regardless of how fast you can draw.
    unlike the movies, when people are shot they usually do not go straight down, it can happen but don't depend on your speed to save you
    You sir have misunderstood my post. I was explaining that even under perfect conditions the most shots I have gotten off is two before the assailant was on me from 21 feet. I also explained that on the street I do not expect those results as those were under controlled conditions and the streets are not.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    LOL, todays BGs crack me up. Picking two ole boys leaving a shooting range as a target, and with only a knife at that, has got to be the pits. They should be recycled through BG basic training
    You'd be surprised how many idiots leave a shooting range with their firearms cased up, unloaded mags and/or shot up all their ammo...and completely oblivious as they walk to their car...

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    You sir have misunderstood my post. I was explaining that even under perfect conditions the most shots I have gotten off is two before the assailant was on me from 21 feet. I also explained that on the street I do not expect those results as those were under controlled conditions and the streets are not.
    and an assailant with a blade can put a serious hurt on you in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    and an assailant with a blade can put a serious hurt on you in that time.
    ........that was my whole point, that regardless of how fast you draw and fire, you are getting cut in that distance. You are arguing the same point I am.

By the war Bill Mo, that last post of yours was a fascinating read.

Well I haven't been able to get on for a while but I just read through all 7 pages and appreciate all the advice and criticism. Since the event my B-I-L and I have played the event out with a rubber knife like someone suggested. We both established next time we will draw sooner. Someone asked if we talked to the gun store guys, unfortunately not, although I wish I would have.

Quote Originally Posted by ccwillinois View Post
    So you come on here and ask people to evaluate your actions, then when they do(and quite matter-of-factly i might add) you argue with them and get alittle huffy. Soooooo...... If you can't handle the heat..... get your supper from the drive thru(and dont go into the kitchen:)

Seriously, if you think these guys are second guessing you, imagine what it would be like if you actually had to shoot someone. Just puttin that out there.
    I'm not really sure who you are talking to here.

Also someone asked what the police did, they took the report and plate number as well as my number but I haven't heard anything since then.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links