Waiting for the right opportunity

This is a discussion on Waiting for the right opportunity within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I watched this video undercover cop shoots robber that tries to mug him - YouTube and supposedly the guy on the left is being robbed ...

Thread: Waiting for the right opportunity

VIP Member

Waiting for the right opportunity

I watched this video undercover cop shoots robber that tries to mug him - YouTube and supposedly the guy on the left is being robbed by the guy on the right. At about 1:45 in the video, the left-guy realizes the right-guy is not paying attention and seizes the opportunity to draw and fire.

Without commenting on whether this is a foiled robbery or not, I see the take-away lesson from this video that it's important to keep thinking and wait for the right opportunity. Suppose you're approached at an ATM by someone with a gun and told to withdraw money. Obviously, your life is in danger and each situation has an infinite ways it can play out. Do you comply and hand over your money? Do you try to end the situation immediately by drawing and firing? Do you wait for an opportunity when the BG is not paying attention?

In the video, the shooter definitely took his time until he drew and fired. I'd be interested to hear from people who have had similar situations where the scenario played out for a while. I'd also like to hear your opinions on the video's scenario and things you agree with or might have done differently.
    Last edited by BenGoodLuck; May 31st, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

If it is a life/death situation,use every tactic you can think of.Theres no second place.

WRT the video, the UC/10-7 officer did not panic, assesed the situation, and drew when the opportunity presented itself. Scary situation with other innocent ATM patrons unknowingly coming into the situation. It seems the officer handled it as best he could..... to me anyways.

Do you comply and hand over your money? Do you try to end the situation immediately by drawing and firing? Do you wait for an opportunity when the BG is not paying attention?
    My general, catch-all answer is...... yes.

The BG has the drop on me. All I can do is be compliant and wait out an opportunity to engage, IF that's the decision I judge I can attempt. Very touch'n'go....... An immidiate response (drawing and engaging) would be the course of action I'd want to take IF I judged it could be accomplished.

My big take-away here, keep your head together, don't panic, and think/act on the fly.

So many variables...........
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I don't see how it was worth drawing and firing.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

oh, I see it now, he presented a concealed weapon to the officer early on. Good job!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

That was a very discreet mugging. So discreet all I saw was two guys withdrawing money side by side and one decides to shoot the other one. Looked like offensive carry to me.

BG presents weapon. GG sees and pretends to comply. BG relaxes, GG ends BG....

Mugger lifts shirt to reveal weapon early in the video.

What kind of mugger wears flip flops?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    What kind of mugger wears flip flops?
    Rico Suave

Links