Woke up, drew on my . . . girlfriend! kinda long. - Page 2

Woke up, drew on my . . . girlfriend! kinda long.

This is a discussion on Woke up, drew on my . . . girlfriend! kinda long. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Keep a flashlight by your gun. Always identify the suspect before pointing a weapon at them. If you want a inexpensive but VERY bright and ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Woke up, drew on my . . . girlfriend! kinda long.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Keep a flashlight by your gun. Always identify the suspect before pointing a weapon at them. If you want a inexpensive but VERY bright and good quality flashlight get a Mag lite xl50, has high, low, and strobe settings (strobe is awesome) and uses LED. It's only $25 at walmart and is brighter than any light I have ever owned.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    The majority of other posters seem to think this was OK. I don't.

I think you need to seriously reconsider what you are about. There is no excuse for pointing a gun at a person who comes home like this regularly.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I agree with atctimmy

https://www.dropcam.com/

For $150, you can get a dropcam and have the video linked to your Iphone or Android device. This would give me peace of mind knowing who it was walking through the front door at night.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

I think you need to seriously reconsider what you are about. There is no excuse for pointing a gun at a person who comes home like this regularly.
    I agree with Timmy. Your tactical prep sucks. Get it right, before someone gets hurt.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

don't point your gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy....simple as that....identify your target
    tcox4freedom likes this.

First, I think having a loaded, unlocked gun is dumb for this reason. You can't key a combination without having some cognitive skills, but there are a dozen people who have shot someone while asleep. I wouldn't go so far as to have it on the other side of the room, but for gods sake keep it locked, especially with a kid. Second, if I had a kid and I thought someone was breaking in, I'd wake up my girlfriend so she could grab the kid and dial 911. So, as soon as I turned over and she was gone I would know something was amiss. Third, as another poster pointed out, if I saw a shadowy figure I'd point a strobe light before I pointed a gun.

Thank god this didn't turn out badly, now take it as a wake up call and fix your mindset and preparations so it never happens again.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

I'm glad everyone is safe. What's done is done, just learn from it.

I met my then girlfriend (now wife) with a gun in hand at the door once. We weren't living together, but she had a key. She lived an hour or so north and was going to go spend the day with her dad south of me so she was just going to drop her car off at my house and then have him drop her off later for the rest of the weekend.

What I didn't know was that she was going to drop the car off at 4-5 am and come in to say "Hi". The dog barking woke me up and she must have fumbled around with her key in the lock for 2 minutes before she opened the door. I just stood at the top of the stairs with the gun behind my back until I knew what was going on.

She never saw it until she came up to give me a hug.

"Uh, didn't expect you this early, Honey!"

Timmy is a little brash in the way he states it but he is essentially correct. For all the talk of night lights, weapon lites, cameras and routines between you and your lady, the fundamental rule is never point a gun at something you are not willing to destroy. That means identify target first and then point gun. Most of us have made stupid mistakes with guns and those who were lucky enough not to negligently shoot someone or something that first time and had their heads screwed on straight learned from their mistakes. I've made one of them myself and learned from it.
    tcox4freedom, oneshot and l1a1 like this.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Has anyone mentioned using a cell phone?

My wife works nights 3mo every year. She knows to call me if she is to be returning home in the middle of the night. She does the same thing during the day as well. But, it's especially important she do it at night because my dogs are sleeping with my kids & may not alert to her coming home.

The truth is;
    Some people are just to jumpy and should take extra precautions with their SD/HD firearms.

(Not bashing you OP, just a word of caution.)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RayBar View Post
    This is very dangerous. Once that trigger is pulled,that bullet won't recognize her and stop. your recognizing her a fraction of a second later won't help either. Ok,so Iv'e stated the obvious.The two of you need to sit down together and devise a plan so that this doesn't happen again,ever. Maybe she should call you just before she comes home so you are aware. If you have to,leave the gun unloaded until she comes home,after she's in,load up. Something,but don't the two of you become part of the firearms accident statistics. Its a problem,put your minds to it,come up with a solution. Be safe.

^^^THIS sounds like ^^^^^^^

A pretty good game plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMac View Post
    If she's smart, for the rest of the days you live together, she should shout from the front door. "IT'S ME, YOU BONEHEAD! PLEASE. PUT. THE. GUN. DOWN."

If it were me, you would always and forever know when I was coming in the house.

^^^THIS sounds like a prety good plan as well,^^^^^^

Up till the rare occurance she is coming through the door, gets jumped by a thug, and yells that out as the BG's bull rush the door.

Plan still can work though,,,,
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    I would say with a 1 year old, you will soon need to secure your gun anyway. Consider a quick access safe (Gunvault, etc...) that will keep the kids' hands off, and force the extra thought and cohearence to open it. That will help you wake up be better to evaluate a little more while getting the gun.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

Yep.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvorak View Post
    I met my then girlfriend (now wife) with a gun in hand at the door once. We weren't living together, but she had a key. She lived an hour or so north and was going to go spend the day with her dad south of me so she was just going to drop her car off at my house and then have him drop her off later for the rest of the weekend.

What I didn't know was that she was going to drop the car off at 4-5 am and come in to say "Hi". The dog barking woke me up and she must have fumbled around with her key in the lock for 2 minutes before she opened the door. I just stood at the top of the stairs with the gun behind my back until I knew what was going on.

She never saw it until she came up to give me a hug.

"Uh, didn't expect you this early, Honey!"
    Having a gun in hand is MUCH different than having a gun pointed at someone :)
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Distinguished Member
    1) No it's not stupid to have a loaded weapon readily available at the bedside. A late-night home invasion can result in BG's in your room within seconds. The GF and I have GunVaults on either side of our bed and at night they are OPEN.

2) Situational awareness can not be put on hold just because you're at home and in bed. KNOW where your family members are.

3) Communication is a key component of safe home defense. The GF and I have keywords. One of us enters the house while the other may me occupied in another part of the house, we have a "safe" keyword that we shout as we enter... we also have a "duress" keyword that alerts the other that there is cause for concern.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links